San Diego hotels and views

Gingee

I asked on another site for hotels close to the cruise terminal. Someone mentioned Holiday Inn On the Bay. Checked that out but the pictures of the view of the bay didn't look too good. Cheapest price $169. Checked out Best Western and the views are good. $139 cheapest price but you are not on the bay. One of my questions is - can you see the cruise ship from any of these hotels or maybe there is something better. Liked the idea that we can maybe just pull our suitcases the one and a half blocks from the train station (Amtrak). Any other ideas? Have about a afternoon before the cruise to explore.

There are 3 buildings at the H Inn ON the bay.

The hotel is directly opposite where the ship docks.

The SOUTH building has the best bay views from its higher floors. The building where you go to check in is not as high.

There is also a building behind that with pool views and is further back so only the very highest floors there can actually look out on the bay.

There are other hotels further from the cruise ship dock that have good bayviews but you might have to take a taxi or get on our lightrail to get to them from the train station.

They include the Bayfront Hilton, Marriott Marina, Manchester Grand Hyatt.

There are also hotels in our Harbor Island neighborhood with views but from there it is harder to get around with no car and there are fewer restaurants in walking distance.

Holiday Inn Bayside is NOT the one I meant opposite the cruiseport. It is out of the downtown core and not a good place to stay with no car. Perhaps they have a free shuttle that I don't know about??

Holiday Inn San Diego ON THE BAY is the one opposite the cruise port and near the train station.

We stayed there New Years Eve which is why I know about the different buildings.

I have not stayed at the BW Bayside but it is close by and offers free breakfast(I think) which the Hol Inn does NOT.

I have not read recent reviews on Trip Advisor but you could do that and then decide. Sorry I have no personal experience with it.

Thanks for your help. I did call them today. The cheapest I could get was $180 with a bay view. They also mentioned a package for $209 which includes a bay tour (water I guess) and admission to some museum. Is it worth the extra? Or do we see the bay as we cruise out? Oh the museum is Marine Wildlife museum. If it is a bunch of stuffed animals and such, I have seen plenty.

YOU definitely see the bay as you cruise out!!

We don't have a marine wild life museum.

Hmmm? Was it perhaps the Maritime Museum??

That would include visiting the Star of India old sailing ship and a Russian submarine + some other stuff.

I guess they can raise prices because they are popular with cruisers. IF you'd like to stay a little further away for less money you might try the Holiday Inn Express/Old Town.

They have a free shuttle that picks up at the airport so I bet they'd also pick you up at the train station and they will bring you back to the port.

It is a cute neighborhood with Old Town State Park, some cute shops, and restaurants etc.

This is the web site: http://www.hioldtownhotel.com/

The Holiday Inn On the Bay is right across the street from the cruise ship terminal. Check out the photo below; the Mariner of the Seas is pointing to the building with the (ugly) vertical peach stripe. That building, and the other one to the left, are the towers of the Holiday Inn. Cruise ships leave coming towards where this picture is taken. (I found this image through google images searching for Holiday Inn On the Bay San Diego, and was able to blow it up from there and then I could see it much better.)

images%3Fq%3Dholiday%2Binn%2Bon%2Bthe%2Bbay%2Bsan%2Bdiego%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1070%26bih%3D623%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C294&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=212&vpy=343&dur=5796&hovh=169&hovw=299&tx=58&ty=192&ei=ZHMqTYzDMsWt8AaihaXeAQ&oei=zHEqTcHEEMaWOrnywZcG&esq=4&page=2&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:18&biw=1070&bih=623

Archived