Princess Travel Protection???

teacherman

We have booked a cruise and we always buy travel insurance through an independent company, but are considering the Princess Travel Protection, which I believe is offered through BerkleyCare. We were just wondering if any of you have purchased Princess Protection and then, unfortunately, had to use it? If so, were you pleased with the service and protection? It seems to cost less than others, most likely because I do not believe it covers your air fare unless you traveled that through Princess Air program. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this particular insurance. Thank you and safe travels to each of you.

We have booked a cruise and we always buy travel insurance through an independent company, but are considering the Princess Travel Protection, which I believe is offered through BerkleyCare. We were just wondering if any of you have purchased Princess Protection and then, unfortunately, had to use it? If so, were you pleased with the service and protection? It seems to cost less than others, most likely because I do not believe it covers your air fare unless you traveled that through Princess Air program. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this particular insurance. Thank you and safe travels to each of you.

Actually, with the new air program offered by Princess (EZ Air), Princess insurance no longer covers flights booked through them. If you want your airfare covered, you must have a seperate flight policy.

We have purchased Princess travel insurance for our last couple of cruises as being Elite, we are upgraded to the better insurance for the price of the lesser insurance. We really like having the 'cancel for any reason' (and receive a credit towards your future cruise if for a non-covered reason). Last fall I had a trip to the med ctr onboard as I had a slight injury while traveling to the ship. Insurance covered that and the medication I was given. Just keep in mind, that Princess insurance still doesn't pay for your treatment if needed onboard, you still must file a claim after returning home. All charges must be paid by you as you receive them. Actually Princess insurance is actually Berkley Care, a seperate provider of insurance they sell. And it is a secondary insurance (if memory serves me correctly) which means you would have to bill your private insurance carrier and receive a rejection before submitting the claim. ;)

We were on a South American cruise and they lost DH's luggage from the hotel (Princess) to the ship. We had opted for Princess insurance that time. I kept receipts that we used when we were onboard. They did our laundry for free - offered tux for formal nights.

When we got back home I filed for everything that was in his bags (I did not have any receipts for his clothes, etc.) I just researched the approx price for similar articles. I was amazed and pleased with the settled amount. It was no hassle at all. (And I usually hate dealing with insurance companies.) Very attentive and quick in their response.

Another time had to go to the doctor for a cough and it was taken care of. I would not hesitate to use them again. I also love the "cancel for any reason" clause. Even if it is for another cruise on Princess - that works for me!

We did have to cancel a cruise and had the upgraded Princess "cancel for any reason" insurance.

I was very pleased with the quick response we got when filing, and we did take another cruise and used our credit.

The only problem I can see is that you dont get ALL of your money back, or any of your money back, instead, a cruise credit, and that you HAD to use your cruise credit within the specified time. It wasn't super convenient to take the second cruise when we did, but at least we did not lose the entire cruise. And of course, we enjoyed the cruise.:)

Had it for the World Cruise in 2009 - did need to use it for some medical issues that arose during the 107 days. Berkeley Care paid off very quickly and efficiently...no issues.

Just know, you have to pay the bill upfront on the ship; bill your own health insurance; then submit to Berkeley next.

You are right, doesn't cover any precruise flights/hotels/tours, etc. So we usually book with another agency to cover all that plus the cruise.

But definitely check out the prices and your needs and decide.

Good luck - Enjoy!

I had to cancel a cruise due to illness. Berkely Care was a pleasure to deal with. Simple, short, forms and prompt payment.

I insured my air fare when booking it. It's 5% of the fare. Access America was also prompt in payment.

Most other travel policy premiums are age sensitive.

I'm 75yo and have 100% primary medical coverage world wide. For me, the Princess premiums are far less than comparable travel policies.

If you haven't done so, you may do better by researching other options.

http://www.travelguard.com/

If you travel two or more times a year, you might consider MedJet Assist. It's an annual policy.

http://www.medjetassist.com/

Actually, with the new air program offered by Princess (EZ Air), Princess insurance no longer covers flights booked through them. If you want your airfare covered, you must have a seperate flight policy.

We have purchased Princess travel insurance for our last couple of cruises as being Elite, we are upgraded to the better insurance for the price of the lesser insurance. We really like having the 'cancel for any reason' (and receive a credit towards your future cruise if for a non-covered reason). Last fall I had a trip to the med ctr onboard as I had a slight injury while traveling to the ship. Insurance covered that and the medication I was given. Just keep in mind, that Princess insurance still doesn't pay for your treatment if needed onboard, you still must file a claim after returning home. All charges must be paid by you as you receive them. Actually Princess insurance is actually Berkley Care, a seperate provider of insurance they sell. And it is a secondary insurance (if memory serves me correctly) which means you would have to bill your private insurance carrier and receive a rejection before submitting the claim. ;)

Secondary and Primary insurance covered here: http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/blog/how-primary-differs-from-secondary-medical-travel-insurance/

• 3 weeks later...

I keep being told by Princess that their insurance covers my pre-cruise hotel and the cruise but I would like proof. Why do you say it doesn't cover the pre-cruise hotels?? How can I find out exactly what is covered. Thanks for your response in advance.

Had it for the World Cruise in 2009 - did need to use it for some medical issues that arose during the 107 days. Berkeley Care paid off very quickly and efficiently...no issues.

Just know, you have to pay the bill upfront on the ship; bill your own health insurance; then submit to Berkeley next.

You are right, doesn't cover any precruise flights/hotels/tours, etc. So we usually book with another agency to cover all that plus the cruise.

But definitely check out the prices and your needs and decide.

Good luck - Enjoy!

We had Princess insurance a year ago when my BIL became sick while on a cruise and spent a month in the hospital in FL in the ICU. The onboard expense was $8,000 and our hotel bills were in the thousands. Berkley Care paid for the remainder of the ship's bill not paid for by medical insurance as well as most of our hotel bills. MedjetAssist covered the medical flight from FL to CA. We wound up paying only a few hundred that wasn't covered by insurance. The Princess reps were incredible, helping us leave the ship, getting us located in a hotel near the hospital that had a free shuttle to/from, and got us a special hotel rate (we were in FLL during both the Pro Bowl and the Super Bowl when rooms were non-existent and if you could find one, were in the $300+ range.)

One thing I learned is that most independent insurance policies will cover expenses for a companion for only five days. As my sister said, "That's terrible? What was I going to do? Leave him here?" Princess insurance covers all expenses up to the full cost of your cruise fare.

Also, if your reason for canceling is a "covered" reason, you get your money back. If it's not for a covered reason, you get a cruise credit. As always, do your research.

I keep being told by Princess that their insurance covers my pre-cruise hotel and the cruise but I would like proof. Why do you say it doesn't cover the pre-cruise hotels?? How can I find out exactly what is covered. Thanks for your response in advance.
It is in the definitions of the policy. http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

See page 6 and 7, Sea/Land arrangements. It covers hotels booked through Princess.

The insurance covers the pre-cruise hotel IF IF IF you booked it through Princess. If you booked it privately, then it would not cover your pre-cruise hotel. ;)

Actually, with the new air program offered by Princess (EZ Air), Princess insurance no longer covers flights booked through them. If you want your airfare covered, you must have a seperate flight policy....
In confirming the above answer, I noticed another change in the current policy. Now it says Princess-booked flights are covered for cancellation charges, but not for any portion retained as future airline credit. So that is possibly an improvement. It also reminds me that one should ALWAYS print out a current copy of the coverage on the day you pay for the insurance. It can, and does, change from the day you book the cruise to whenever you pay for the insurance.

Looks like the latest version is dated Oct2010.

In confirming the above answer, I noticed another change in the current policy. Now it says Princess-booked flights are covered for cancellation charges, but not for any portion retained as future airline credit. So that is possibly an improvement.
Right. My TA notified me of this change last summer, I think. I know it was months ago. Glad to see that Princess made that change.

Archived