Someone set me straight

i2ukus

Can I take food off the ship at the ports?? I mean am i allowed? not can I sneak it off..... I was wondering as I will have my 18 month old with me and I wanted to take fruit/snakcs for her to eat while we are exploring ports.....TIA

Can I take food off the ship at the ports?? I mean am i allowed? not can I sneak it off..... I was wondering as I will have my 18 month old with me and I wanted to take fruit/snakcs for her to eat while we are exploring ports.....TIA

Only if it is prepackaged. But in some ports you cant take anyone under 2 years old off the ship.

Just kidding about the Kid

Taking food from the ship that is unpackaged in commercially sealed packaging is forbidden. It is not the cruise line forbidding it. It is the agricultural laws of most countries -- including the US. (Just try to leave California with fresh fruit, for example!)

Now baby food is different. You may be able to get away with that. But can you take packaged snacks for her? The cruise line does have those little boxes of cereal, for example -- if you take a sealed box with you, there might not be an issue. And of course her bottle, juice cup, that sort of thing.

There will be signs posted as you get off the ship, a notice posted in the daily newsletter, telling you not to do this, and at least in some ports any bags or backpacks you have with you will be examined by authorities as you leave the ship. You'll often see huge garbage cans at the end of the gangway on shore where food is being dumped, and sometimes sniffer dogs.

Taking food from the ship that is unpackaged in commercially sealed packaging is forbidden. It is not the cruise line forbidding it. It is the agricultural laws of most countries -- including the US. (Just try to leave California with fresh fruit, for example!)

Now baby food is different. You may be able to get away with that. But can you take packaged snacks for her? The cruise line does have those little boxes of cereal, for example -- if you take a sealed box with you, there might not be an issue. And of course her bottle, juice cup, that sort of thing.

There will be signs posted as you get off the ship, a notice posted in the daily newsletter, telling you not to do this, and at least in some ports any bags or backpacks you have with you will be examined by authorities as you leave the ship. You'll often see huge garbage cans at the end of the gangway on shore where food is being dumped, and sometimes sniffer dogs.

With allthis said, and true, I have never seen a line to be inspected or scanned to get off the ship in any port outside the US, but when you get home, don't even try to bring an orange, or muffin.

With allthis said, and true, I have never seen a line to be inspected or scanned to get off the ship in any port outside the US, but when you get home, don't even try to bring an orange, or muffin.

Nope while getting of the ship in port they will only have a sign and a trash can on board........but some ports you will have to go thru a line once you are on the pier......Cabo is notorious for this and they will search your bags for fruit.......

Nope while getting of the ship in port they will only have a sign and a trash can on board........but some ports you will have to go thru a line once you are on the pier......Cabo is notorious for this and they will search your bags for fruit.......

That explains it on our Splendor cruise the only Mexico port we got off at was San-Fransisco.

Swine Flu Cruise to nowhere.

This has not been my experience. I have noticed it at most ports, in fact. I am careful not to try to take anything off the ship so am not stopped, but have seen enough others held up that it has been clear to me that it's enforced.

If you embark at a Florida port (on Fascination, Destiny, Imagination, and possibly others) and your first stop is Key West, I'm curious to know it there is a guideline/rule/law for how that is handled, since you are actually in the same State??

Really?? OOOPS! :eek:

I knew that you couldn't bring food back on the ship or back into the US, but I didn't know that you couldn't bring food from the ship to the ports of call!

We always have taken a few bananas, apples and cereal boxes from the buffet in our backpack to snack on while we're ashore, but we don't bring food back onboard.

Nobody has ever checked our bags as we get off the ship at the ports of call, which explains why we "got away" with it :o

CA law prohibits bringing ag items INTO the state, not out. Why would they care if you leave?

Agreed, I have been all over the Caribbean, and never stopped by authorities. That said, it is on all of us to not take any fresh fruits or veggies off the ship. Local economies can be devastated by blights, insects, or invasive species of plants.

We have gone to MANY ports and the only one we have been actively searched by the officials off the ship was Cabo San Lucas - pockets, camera bags....everything specifically looking for fruit. We always have packaged things - even tuna/cracker lunch kits (hubby is diabetic), all sealed and they said they were fine. Personally we have never tried this but I read here on this site, people have posted that they have ordered deli sandwiches on the ship - wrapped them and took them off on excursions - I do know that this is not allowed, and fruit is a big no-no.

Archived