buying wine in Bermuda

wwinfl91

I know this sounds like a strange topic but we are going on a Transatlantic cruise that stops in Bermuda before doing 5 days at sea and we might want to bring back a couple of bottles to drink during the crossing.

As far as I can tell Bermuda isn't famous for growing grapes or producing wine so what I am asking is has anyone purchased any wine in Bermuda and if so what types were available.

My wife and I like Reislings and Blushes as opposed to the drier wines.

Thanks

Thanks for the post although I wish the news had been better. We had purchases wine in several ports both on our Maasdam cruise up the East coast to Canada and then again in Hawaii without too many problems. But I was worried about Bermuda and your post seems to fortify those fears.

Thanks for the post.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but blush wines are not normally considered gourmet style a good reisling maybe. I am sure you can find something decent and reasonable in Bermuda. In Hamilton there is a good wine store near the left end of the street. In St George there were also a couple. I don't remember seeing one at the Dockyards but I am sure they have the hard stuff...its cheaper on the ship.

Don't worry about me taking your comments the wrong way. I know blush wines and even reislings are on the wrong end of the scale with real wine lovers. But they are the ones my wife likes the best and rather than argue about it I just have learned to drink them with her. They actually don't taste bad just a little sweeter than the better stuff.

Thanks for the information on the wine store in Hamilton and in St George.

RCI evidently is or has decided to tighten up on the rules about bringing any liquor including wine on board their ships so we will get a couple of bottles in when we board in Ft Lauderdale and then add a couple of more in Bermuda to supplement our supply.

Personally I think ships should continue to handle wine the way they have in the past and that was let you openly bring it on board. I was able to do that both on our last HAL and Princess cruises. But if I have to sneak it onboard I will.

Thanks again and have a great next cruise.

In Hamilton there is a good wine store near the left end of the street.

I'm not big on wine but I asked a collegue who enjoys wine and they told me one of the best places in Bermuda to buy bottles is the wine store smeyer418 mentioned in Hamilton - it is on the corner of Front St. and Queen St. so very close to the ship if you're docked in Hamilton. Couldn't tell you if it will have what you're looking for and I expect that it would be more expensive than in the States.

Gosling's which is the shop mentioned on Front Street(across from where the ship docks) has a nice selection of wines,and you will not have any problem finding something that you like. The prices are about the same as in the US.Actually there are several shops,but Gosling's should be able to help you.

Thanks for the information on Gosling's. You mentioned it is near where the ship docks. We are docking at King's Wharf. Is that the dock you are talking about.

Thanks and have a great next cruise.

Archived