Disembarkation DYI

richinmn

Is it possible to just carry off your own luggage when you disembark? My wife and I are on the AOS next month. We can easily handle the one rolling suitcase and small carry on that we each have. NCL has this option and worked fine. Last year on RCCL the whole process seemed very time consuming and confusing. I can understand it if someone has several pieces of luggage, but we travel pretty light. Thanks for any input someone may have.

We have never been on RCI, are going on Oasis in March, but we were on Celebrity in March 2009 and we carried off our own luggage without a problem.

This time, we will have a toddler in tow so might not be as easy, LOL!

Have a great trip!

We did the carry it off yourself disembark in December on Enchantment! There were 3 of us...a senior, mid 30's, and a 4 year old. No problems and so easy. Will do it again on Explorer in May. We were of by 7:45. It helped that our cabin was on deck 2, where you disembark from, so we left our room and got in line to walk off.

Yes, you certainly can carry your own luggage off. My only issue with my most recent, and 1st cruise, was they didn't make any announcement. Those of us carrying all our luggage were told to meet at one of the dining rooms. When I arrived there were maybe a dozen people there. My daughter and I picked a seat in the back of the dining room. 15 - 20 minutes later this line starts forming around us and other people waiting alongside of us. Obviously some kind of announcement had been made at the entry to the dining room to start forming a line to disembark. We had to force our way into the line, ended up being a good ways back.

Is this available to non-US citizens as well?

That is a good question, but my memory is that this is an option for you as you still have to clear customs upon leaving the ship. Don't want to steer you wrong, so I hope someone will confirm or deny this for me.

DH & myself did it on Allure in December at Ft. Lauderdlae, we left our cabin on the 17th. floor about 6:30 a.m. or after and were through customs and waiting outside by 7:00 a.m. I had someone to pick us up around 8:00 a.m. and called to see if they could get there sooner.

We also did it the next week, it was DH, myself, daughter, son, DIL and 3 and 6 year old grandsons. We walked off about 7:00 a.m. at Port Canaveral, it didn't take 15 minutes. We had someone to pick us up around 9:00 a.m. and I had to call them also to see if they could pick us up earlier!

On both instances they did! Very much appreciated and tipped accordingly!

If we don't have early flights or such, we would just as soon leave a little later and not have to hassle with our luggage. But we needed to get to Port Canaverl to meet our family and then on the second cruise we had an early flight. It worked great!

Archived