Just Booked on Caribbean Princess

bodyshoplady

Very excited to be planning my cruise with my sister for the Caribbean Princess' May 1st voyage of the Eastern Caribbean/Bermuda. It leaves San Juan on Sunday, May 1st and returns to NYC (Brooklyn) on Sunday, May 8th. We are novices in the world of Cruises. I have only been on 1 previous cruise in 2008 (NCL -Sky) and my sister was on 1 about 30 years ago and can't remember the cruiseline!

I just booked our suite last night. #R402 - a PH Balcony Suite (mid-ship, Riviera Deck). I read some boards about aft location vs mid-ship and we decided better to chance some Lido Deck noise (chair movement) rather than the potential noise from the thrusters in the aft, not to mention we did not know what to expect in the way of motion in the aft. I was told our suite is 534 sq. ft (incl. balcony). Did I make a good choice? Has anyone personally stayed in that particular suite (R402)?

Is anyone reading this planning on taking this cruise?

Any advice from you seasoned veterans for two "newbie" ladies (early 50's) who can't wait to have a great time away from the "stress" of our lives ? !!

Having made our ship reservations, we are next planning on tackling where to stay in San Juan (we are going to fly down-from NY- early Sat morning, April 30th) to make the most of our time there (we've never been). Probably looking for a great place in Old San Juan (???). Then onto booking excursions and spa appointments...can you tell I'm excited !?! Again, open to advice from the pros..

I have been to Bermuda on a non-cruise trip on 2007. My sister has never been and is anxious to see it. We dock in the Royal Dock Yard (West End) and I don't think that is enough exposure of what Bermuda has to offer. I looked at some of the excursions the ship has to offer and, at first glance, was not overly moved. Has anyone taken their own excursion..pay a cab to go to Hamilton and the beach or something along those lines? I know cabs are expensive, but hey, this is a once in a lifetime vacation for us that we have worked very hard for..

Can't wait to hear some of your feedback..hopefully soon !!

Thanks TLC535 for replying so quickly..now I'm even more excited (if that's possible)! I will check out that "Roll Call" link (not exactly sure what that is but I've read people referring to that in all these boards...I'm assuming it's people from Cruise Critic that will be on the same sailing, true?).

Keep the good advice coming...

You will love the CB and your cruise. I've not sailed this particular itinerary, but would love to and hope that you write a review upon your return. I was in a different category of cabin, but here is a link to the CC review I wrote in November. We've stayed at the Marriott Stellaris, the Renaissance La Concha, and the Holiday Inn - all three hotels in the Condado (beach) region. That location is very convenient to the docks and is close enough to OSJ to be a short taxi ride. You'll enjoy your stay in San Juan as well.

Have fun!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1310834&highlight=

I'm assuming it's people from Cruise Critic that will be on the same sailing, true?).

Keep the good advice coming...

Yes...true...it is a great way to "meet" & chat online with some of the folks sailing with you & most of them set up a "Meet & Greet" (know as M&G) onboard where you can meet in person, share shore excursions, get advise & help get MORE excited (if possible;)) ect.

ENJOY !!

We loved our cruise out of San Juan so much we're doing it again in 11 days! The Sheraton Old San Juan seems to be everyone's first choice for hotel. You can get it on Priceline. It's right across the street from the downtown piers - although I think Princess uses the Pan American Pier so you would need a cab. There are no hotels walkable from Pan American pier.

There are 2 free busses in OSJ - it's a great way to get around downtown and to El Moro - the old fort. We enjoyed that very much but it got very hot in May so take water or find the little gift shop inside that sells it.

We ate at Raices for lunch. Kinda expensive but oh, so good. Be sure to try a Mofongo - a local specialty.

You'll find tons of info under the ports of call section, Caribbean, San Juan.

Your cabin sounds fabulous but we are addicted to aft cabins. We love the sound of the wake. Have never heard any thruster or engine noise.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise!

Paula

We stayed in R401 which is the same cabin on the opposite side of the ship. We heard very little noise from above. Just brief chair scraping one time, and that incident occurred midday. It wasn't bad - just a brief dull noise. On our balcony, we could occasionally hear music from the deck above, however it was very low background music and not at all intrusive.

DonnaK - I just read your to CC Member Reviews from your sailings on the Caribbean Princess (I didn't notice your review links until after I posted my first "quick reply" to your post on this thread. So I now know what you thought of your suite and the ship! Very informative reviews and very helpful - thanks! I was also very pleased with your feedback about your tour in Bermuda as that sounds like something I would like better than the packaged excursions, to show my sister Bermuda since she has never been.

Thanks again for the help and keep those tips and helpful hints coming....

Had suite R410 on the Caribbean Princess a few years ago. We did not notice a lot of noise, but there was some. We still loved the location and would book that suite again.

Last year we stayed at El Convento in OSJ during our pre-cruise segment. We had a Queen Vista which allowed a view of the bay and a few roof tops. My SIL and family had a city view, which was a view of a side street. A great location in the middle of OSJ, and many amenities including a 2 hour wine and cheese social, bottled water, coffee, and a host of other things as related to the desired package.

Great suggestions for SJ hotels..thanks!

Has anyone sailed on Caribbean Princess in early May (when school isn't out and perhaps the ship isn't sold out)? Should I expect a problem with long lines at the Anytime Dinning Rooms like some people have reported?

Also, we don't leave SJ until 11 PM. Instructions state we can board ship anywhere from 2 PM to 9 PM. My sister and I wanted to make the most of seeing SJ since we have never been, hence we will arrive there the morning of the day before departure, however trying to make the most of that port we have a dilemma. We were thinking of taking the hotel room for 2 nights so we wouldn't feel rushed out of the hotel on Sunday, the departure date, and we would also have a base to operate from. However, it was explained to us that reserving the Speciality Restaurants ideally should be done the moment we board ship (to get the night & times we want). That would imply boarding the ship as close to 2 PM as possible. A Princess rep told me we can board and then leave the ship again and go back out into SJ as long as we are back on the ship by 9 PM. I'm thinking that might waste a lot of time. What do you pros think? We don't want to miss out on good boarding day of ship stuff either???

BTW, where do you guys get all the face icons??

go to User CP (top left had side of this page)

click: Edit Avatar

then you can choose one of CC's avatar's or upload a picture from your computer> save changes

We loved the Caribbean Princess and it sounds like you have a fantastic itinerary! San Juan is one of my favorite places to visit. We've stayed in OSJ and in the beach area at the Marriott Stellaris. The Marriott area is closer to the Pan Am pier, but it's really not that big of a deal. Definitely spend time in OSJ. It's a wonderful area with so much to see and do in walking distance.

We too have booked on the Caribbean Princess. We will arrive around 330pm to the airport. I figured we would be boarding around 5pm. Would we have enough time to board, eat, catch a cab to OSJ then get back on? What is the latest we can reboard before departure at 11pm?

We have sailed this itinerary twice. It is one of my favorites and wish we could go this year as well. Join the roll call. I sailed with Marine Boy twice on this same sailing and he also flies in a day early. He is going again this year and can probably recommend a hotel and places of interest in San Juan. There are others on the roll call who have also sailed on this Repo itinerary and would be more than happy to offer suggestions. Here is a link to the roll call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1250463

Thanks Mike (Iamcruzin)! I'll be sure they have that drink for you...sorry I won't be meeting you this trip.

Carribbound - I'm certainly a novice, but the Princess rep told me you have to be on the Caribbean Princess by 9 PM for our cruise out of San Juan, May 1st. I don't know how all that boarding & reboarding goes. I was hoping to hear from an expert. I just joined the roll call for the people sailing on our cruise..you should too. It makes it all the more exciting talking to fellow passengers of the ship you'll be on.

DonnaK - I just read your to CC Member Reviews from your sailings on the Caribbean Princess (I didn't notice your review links until after I posted my first "quick reply" to your post on this thread. So I now know what you thought of your suite and the ship! Very informative reviews and very helpful - thanks! I was also very pleased with your feedback about your tour in Bermuda as that sounds like something I would like better than the packaged excursions, to show my sister Bermuda since she has never been.

Thanks again for the help and keep those tips and helpful hints coming....

I did this itinerary in reverse (out of NYC) in 2007. I have also been on 2 cruises to Bermuda. My suggestion for Bermuda (if you are not there on a Sunday), is to buy a one day transportation pass. You can use both the buses and the ferries (both are easy to use). Depending on the route, you can ride on the bus and see the shoreline (I think it is the 7), or we went on our own to the zoo / aquarium and to the Swizzle Inn. You can take the high speed ferry to Hamilton and walk around there. Or you can take the bus to Horseshoe Bay Beach. There is a man with a shuttle bus who will drive you to back to the top of the hill for $1 (it may be $2 now), where you can catch the bus back to the Dockyard.

Bermuda is really easy to navigate using public transportation.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Mindi:D

Archived