Cruising Dream kids 9,6,2

kimaj3

We are cruising to Cozumel, Belize, Honduras(roatan) and Costa Maya. Please...any info on what our options are on each of the stops. Most excursions won't allow the 2 year old. Want to make the most of our trip...should we rent a vehicle, go to the beach????HELP:)

We are cruising to Cozumel, Belize, Honduras(roatan) and Costa Maya. Please...any info on what our options are on each of the stops. Most excursions won't allow the 2 year old. Want to make the most of our trip...should we rent a vehicle, go to the beach????HELP:)

Nachi Cocom in Cozumel all inclusive beach day.

In Rotan and Costa Maya you can go to the beach without much trouble. The ship docks at Mahogony Bay in Rotan as long as the weather permits. You can walk to the beach with a 2 yr old in a stroller. In Costa Maya it is a short taxi ride to Mahewal beach. I would think they would allow a stroller at the Belize zoo as well but the terrain is a bit rough for wheels. cozumel is a great place to eat, drink, and shop for trinkets for all those people you aren't so close to that insisted you bring them something back...lol. You don't have to book excursions to have fun in port. The zoo is offered as a excursion as well as a few Mahogany beach packages. You don't need to buy the package however unless you want a cabana or clam shell on the beach. If you do, I would suggest you book early though because both were sold out the day prior to arriving at the port when we took the same cruise in October. It turned out it wasn't a problem though. There were plenty of beach chairs with shade without the package.

I took my kids, age 9,9 & 8 to these islands on the Dream in September. Go to mahahual in Costa Maya, it's a good beach & a lot of fun. It costs $2 or $3 per person to take bus there, $2 each for retrurn trip. Paradise Beach in Cozumel was a lot of fun as well. We booked private tour in Roatan & it was great. We stayed on the boat in Belize & the kids loved having the water slide & mini golf to themselves. I know my kids were a little older, but I hope this helps.

Cozumel...Paradise Beach with all the water toys for the older children and nice beach for toddler, plus good margaritas for Mom and Dad.

Belize...either do an excursion that includes the zoo (which is a rehabilation preserve for native animals ) or do a River Wallace/Altun Ha mayan ruins tour. Good ship day for many. You might book a coral breeze excursion to Bannister Island but not a lot there a couple of tiki hut type buildings, some shore snorkeling; about the only "party beach" in the area. A lot of tender/boat travel to get to and from as you have to take the tender into the Tourism Village and pick up the excursion boat going out to Bannister Island. Carnival doens't do that excursion any more.

Roatan...While MBCC will be a cheaper alternative, the best beaches are on the West Bay. Grab a cab and head for Fosters or Banarama. Same beach area as Carnival's Tabayan excursion. 9 year old might like the zip line at Clip N Zip just outside the MBCC port shopping area.

Costa Maya...probably best a beach day either down in the village of Mahahual along the malecon, no reservations needed at most places. Lots of craft shops, restaurants and beach massages. $5pp RT via taxi to the village. Or you can book a reservation and guaranteed lounger at Tropicante just outside the Costa Maya port area and near what I call the "ersatz town"'s shopping. Definitely closer to the ship than the malecon. There's info on the Costa Maya board on the place and contact information there.

Thanks!!!! Is Chankanaab or paradise better for snorkelling? Is there a cover fee for Paradise as well? And are they close enough to go to both in one day? Sorry I know that's a lot of questions...but i hoping that if we figure this all out before we go we will avoid the frustration of trying to figure it out once we are there lol.

I have only been to Paradise Beach. No snorkeling there, but a fun day for the kids & parents as well. There is a cover charge at Paradise Beach, I think a few dollars, but you have to pay to use the water toys. I have heard the snorkeling at Chankenaab is pretty good, but I have never been there.

Thanks!!!! Is Chankanaab or paradise better for snorkelling? Is there a cover fee for Paradise as well? And are they close enough to go to both in one day? Sorry I know that's a lot of questions...but i hoping that if we figure this all out before we go we will avoid the frustration of trying to figure it out once we are there lol.

Chankanaab and The Money Bar beaches are best for snorkeling. But neither have activities for young children. There is Discover Mexico with lots of interesting models and artifacts on Mexico across the highway from Chankanaab, but it's a different entry fee. There's a Swim with the Dolphins event at Chan as well, but I hear that it recently became a cruiseship excursion booking only at a significantly higher costs (Cruise ships get a large % of the revenues so prices are higher). May or may not be true, i.e., you may still be able to book if you don't specify you're on a cruise.

We went to Nachi Cocum on Cozumel as well (best excursion money ever spent) I have a 3, 6, and 15 yr old. They had an amazing beach, awesome all inclusive food, and a pool that the kids loved. Swim up bar for the adults too!

In Roatan, we did Victor Bodden tour and it was great. You will go to his home and get to go into the cages with the monkeys. This was the most memorable part of the cruise. My 3 and 6 year got to hold the baby monkeys and my 3 yr old wanted to take them home. It was amazing for the adults too. Victor will customize the tour and you can do whatever you want. We chose to go to the orphanage and donate school suppies, visit Victor's home, go to lunch and visit the beach.

In Belize, we chose to leave the kids on the ship and have an adult day.

In Costa Maya, we took the public bus to the beach-Majahul. They had the beach, restaurants, 30 buck massages and shops for crafts, etc. It was beautiful and inexpensive.

Whatever you do, Have a great time! We loved this cruise!

Archived