How do I get to the San Gervasio ruins?

4inacanoe

We will be arriving in Cozumel in February with my family (two children ages 8 & 5). I've been to Tulum, Chichen Itza and Coba and would love to introduce the kids to the Mayan culture and was thinking the ruins of San Gervasio would be the perfect opportunity. Can anyone suggest how we can get there? Should we rent a taxi for a few hours and visit the rugged, more barron east side of the island too? I would like to finish up the day at paradise beach so the kids can have some beach time.

Any suggestions?

Does your ship have an excursion to San Gervasio? I am going on the Crown Princess and I have booked an excursion to the Riuns and then to Playa Moa beach club for $49/adult and $39/child. It includes transportation, lunch, and entrance fee to the Ruins and use of the facilities (chairs, beach rafts, sailboats, etc) at Playa Mia.

We did this. My family--5 adults, 4 kids--hired a taxi for 5 hours. Drive out to the ruins (spent about 45 minutes or so there) then on to the east side of the island. Made some stops along the way (Mezcalitos, Senor Iguana's, Chen Rio) and had some photo opportunities before heading over to Paradise Beach. We even got in a little shopping in town before getting back to the ship.

The ruins at San Gervasio are considered minor by architectural/historic standards (at least that's the impression I get on these boards), but still quite interesting, in my opinion. We had a blast, and lucked out with a pretty cool driver too.

Just visited this site in October and thought I would enjoy it since I liked Tulum, but this is a minor site. I thought that the signage was poor and I didn't really enjoy myself. I have kids aged 10, 8 and 7 and I know that they would hate this. They can't climb on anything and they aren't into history at all. The children I saw at the site that day seemed really bored.

Laughing Angel - Thanks for the info! Do you remember how much the taxi costs and how did you find one who would drive you around? Did you have to haggle on price?

Big Planner - yes, the cruise ship does have an excursion to the ruins but I'd rather do it on my own. I find the cruise excursions over crowded and you have to follow their schedule. It leaves at 10 am and returns at 2pm so you lose most of the day. I'd rather go early to the ruins, before the crowds. Not to mention, it would be much less expensive on our own.

Thanks again for the information. As I'm traveling with two young children, will we be safe on our own? I know that other parts of Mexico have tourist advisories but I believe Cozumel isn't included. Any thoughts?

Archived