Delay to Ft Lauderdale, will also affect future stops

dancer11

We are boarding in Ft Lauderdale for World Cruise. We've gotten email that QM2 won't arrive til noon (we were to board at noon), and we will have delays arriving in 2 later overnight ports.

The delay for Ft Lauderdale surely relates to snowy weather in NY and east coast.

We are boarding in Ft Lauderdale for World Cruise. We've gotten email that QM2 won't arrive til noon (we were to board at noon), and we will have delays arriving in 2 later overnight ports.

The delay for Ft Lauderdale surely relates to snowy weather in NY and east coast.

According to the Cunard representative I talked to, the ship will leave NYC more or less on time. Because of tide levels, they do not have the option of hanging around the dock too much beyond the announced departure time, so the late arrival in Ft. Lauderdale (at least, according to him) is unrelated to the weather situation in the Northeast. He couldn't, however, give me a reason for the late arrival in Ft. Lauderdale.

Since the QM2 departed NY on time or nearly on time, AND Cunard is now saying there will be late arrivals in Barbados and Cape Town and who knows where else, I'm wondering if the powers that be have made an executive decision to go to ECONO cruise because of the "jack" in oil pricing?:confused:

While normally I would have no problem with doing so, at least the first segment of the World Cruise has some LONG legs in it with only 4 brief stops enroute to Cape Town. I don't care that much, but my wife was looking forward to the stops in Barbados and further into the cruise. It appears that this schedule has already messed up shore packages in Barbados.

Therefore, I'm wondering if Cunard owes us a reduction in our cruise fares if the trip is no longer going to operate as published.

Since the QM2 departed NY on time or nearly on time, AND Cunard is now saying there will be late arrivals in Barbados and Cape Town and who knows where else, I'm wondering if the powers that be have made an executive decision to go to ECONO cruise because of the "jack" in oil pricing?:confused:

While normally I would have no problem with doing so, at least the first segment of the World Cruise has some LONG legs in it with only 4 brief stops enroute to Cape Town. I don't care that much, but my wife was looking forward to the stops in Barbados and further into the cruise. It appears that this schedule has already messed up shore packages in Barbados.

Therefore, I'm wondering if Cunard owes us a reduction in our cruise fares if the trip is no longer going to operate as published.

Good luck with that. Read the terms of your voyage contract.

BTW, I understand your complaint and am sympathetic. I was on QM2 from Nov 28 thru Dec 18 and my shore plans were worthless on several ports as I found out after embarking. On the plus side, at least you had advance notice.

Have you been given no reason for the change in itinerary? (At least on my voyage/s, a reason for the change was published)

I offer this advice...stop worrying and get onboard and enjoy your cruise. Spending too much time on here can be detrimental to your health. If you think about it, it is in Cunard's best interest to keep to their schedules as closely as possible, but one thing they cannot control is the weather, and it's many affects, such as getting passengers and crew to the ports on time prior a long World Cruise.

Being a few hours late to a port, tours booked through Cunard will be adjusted and they will work their best to stay as close to schedule as possible. If you made plans on your own regarding shore excursions, unfortunately, you are completely on your own here. Regarding a reduction in fares, forget about it. It's all spelled out in the contract. Try getting a cost reduction for being late with an airline.:rolleyes:

Having just returned from the Caribbean Calypso cruise, I can report that the ship is still floating, King's Court is still a bit chaotic, afternoon tea is still served, hand sanitizers abound, almost everyone adheres to the evening dress code, and most importantly, the ship and staff were simply superb!

It's the economics of the pod motors. Rolls Royce recently had to pay a settlement to Cunard for deficiencies in its Mermaid propulsion pods. That's all they are going to pay, so now Cunard must live with it. To avoid breaking down mid world cruise and trying to reach the next scheduled dry dock they simply limit QM2 service speed to 24 knots and maximum speed to 27 knots. The days of a 30 knot ocean liner are over.

Archived