Carnival Destiny 1/6-1/10 Long and loaded with pix!

richbum

This is my first review, so please bear with me. Some background info…There were 5 of us from Maine. Me (38) Hubby (39) Son (21) Sons girlfriend (20) and daughter (13). We booked this cruise last February when my sons National Guard unit was told that they were going to deploy next month for Afghanistan. Luckily, now that has been put on hold. We left after work on Tuesday (1/4) and drove to Portland, Maine (2 ½ hours from home, but 5 mins from the airport) since we had a 6am flight. A couple days before the cruise, I low balled a room on priceline ($35) and got it. I figured it is just a place to sleep for a few hours. I got the Howard Johnson, and it was fine for what we wanted. Wednesday morning (1/5) we got up to 13 degree temps, and were really looking forward to our upcoming trip. We got to the airport around 4:45 and got through security with no problems…which was expected since it is a small airport. Our flight left on time, and after a layover in Newark, we were on our way to sunny skies and warm temps in Fort Lauderdale. Once we arrived, we called Carlos from SAS and got our shuttle to Miami. ($13 each plus a $15 tip). Carlos was wonderful. He loaded and unloaded our luggage, and helped us in and out of the shuttle. I highly recommend him.

We stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay (Highly recommended). I got it for just over $100 on priceline. Once we arrived, I asked for a balcony room (they gave it to me for no extra charge) and a rollaway ($10 extra). We were all exhausted, but figured that we only had a few days of vacation, so we had better not waste it! We took the Metromover over to Bayside Marketplace (I know, cheesy tourist trap, but we are cheesy tourists, so it fit us well) The kids wanted to go to Hardrock Café, so we had a late lunch and did some shopping. By this time, hubby was getting a bad headache (dehydrated) so we went back to the hotel. (took the metromover again). The kids and I went and hung out at the pool/hot tub for a while, then walked around and took some pictures.

CarnivalDestinyJan11036.jpg

CarnivalDestinyJan11031.jpg

CarnivalDestinyJan11035.jpg

CarnivalDestinyJan11042.jpg

CarnivalDestinyJan11049.jpg

I thought this next sign was funny....this was as we were walking into the Hardrock~~

CarnivalDestinyJan11050.jpg

At the Hardrock, Matt (son) & I had the Pulled Pork, Rachel (girlfriend) had the Mac & Cheese, Krissy (daughter) had the Chicken fingers (spicy) and Hubby (Charlie) had the Bacon Cheeseburger.

CarnivalDestinyJan11053.jpg

CarnivalDestinyJan11054.jpg

CarnivalDestinyJan11055.jpg

CarnivalDestinyJan11056.jpg

CarnivalDestinyJan11057.jpg

CarnivalDestinyJan11060.jpg

This hotel was amazing. It had the most comfortable bed that I had ever slept on in my life!!! I was trying to figure out how to get it on the plane with me, but never came up with anything! Oh well, time to start matress shopping now that I am home!

Justi n case you didn't notice. You have a side butt shot in the first pic. Just in case someone may not like it.

The only thing that I can see is my son, and he is wearing shorts (tan colored) Am I missing something?:eek:

The only thing that I can see is my son, and he is wearing shorts (tan colored) Am I missing something?:eek:

Hahahaha...no you're not missing anything. jzcruiser57 fell victim to an optical illusion. In fact I did too for a moment. It's your elbow but if you look at it quickly and just right it creates an illusion.

Haha--I am glad. I think my son would kill me if I posted a naked butt shot of him online!:eek:

Anywho...more pix of the area surrounding the hotel:

Marriott pool:

CarnivalDestinyJan11079.jpg

The kids enjoying the jacuzzi:

CarnivalDestinyJan11078.jpg

Night view from our balcony: (a little blurry...still trying to figure out the new camera!)

CarnivalDestinyJan11087.jpg

You can see the track from the Metromover in this picture..it is very close to the hotel.

CarnivalDestinyJan11100.jpg

CarnivalDestinyJan11089.jpg

Once we arrived, we called Carlos from SAS and got our shuttle to Miami. ($13 each plus a $15 tip). Carlos was wonderful. He loaded and unloaded our luggage, and helped us in and out of the shuttle. I highly recommend him.

Are you able to get from the airport to the port using this service? Is it just outside the airport or is it someone you found ahead of time? :confused:. We are trying to figure out how to get from the airport to the port of Miami and it is SO much cheaper to fly into FT Lauderdale......

More pix:

Waterfall behind the pool:

CarnivalDestinyJan11090.jpg

Hardrock:

CarnivalDestinyJan11063.jpg

This was our view when we woke up.

CarnivalDestinyJan11104.jpg

CarnivalDestinyJan11106.jpg

Beautiful church next door to the hotel:

CarnivalDestinyJan11105.jpg

American Airlines Arena on the way to the Port of Miami:

CarnivalDestinyJan11109.jpg

We left our hotel around 10:15 and 10 mins later, we were at the port. There was no line to go through the first check in, and x-ray scanner, then went up the stairs to the check in area. We were zone 1 ---YA BABY! The previous cruise was still letting people off at 11:30, but not long after that, we were on board!

Once we arrived, we called Carlos from SAS and got our shuttle to Miami. ($13 each plus a $15 tip). Carlos was wonderful. He loaded and unloaded our luggage, and helped us in and out of the shuttle. I highly recommend him.

Are you able to get from the airport to the port using this service? Is it just outside the airport or is it someone you found ahead of time? :confused:. We are trying to figure out how to get from the airport to the port of Miami and it is SO much cheaper to fly into FT Lauderdale......

I am not sure. Their website is ridesas.com. I had emailed him ahead of time, and he said to call as soon as we picked up our luggage. He met us right outside of the baggage area within 10 mins of our call. It really is a lot cheaper to fly into FLL. It would have cost me almost double per ticket to go into MIA.

I am not sure. Their website is ridesas.com. I had emailed him ahead of time, and he said to call as soon as we picked up our luggage. He met us right outside of the baggage area within 10 mins of our call. It really is a lot cheaper to fly into FLL. It would have cost me almost double per ticket to go into MIA.

Thanks for the website! :D

While we were waiting, Matt & Rachel struck up a conversation with a woman, who come to find out was on our roll call. Gemini8-aka Cheryl and her mom Evelyn joined us as we boarded. We really enjoyed meeting you both, and getting to know you. I hope that someday our paths will cross again!

CarnivalDestinyJan11113.jpg

By the time we boarded, the port was packed. Here we go. Matt & Rachels first cruise (Krissys second and Mine and Charlies 3rd) All of us it was the first with Carnival!

CarnivalDestinyJan11114.jpg

CarnivalDestinyJan11116.jpg

We are now onboard!

CarnivalDestinyJan11121.jpg

CarnivalDestinyJan11122.jpg

Now keep in mind that some of these pix are taken on the fly. I had to try to keep up with my family who was in a bit of a hurry!

CarnivalDestinyJan11123.jpg

Headed to the Lido

Krissy with her first drink...just kidding...it was my first Miami Vice. That first drink always seems to have a special taste to it!

CarnivalDestinyJan11128.jpg

After lunch, we strolled around and got to know our new home for the next few days. Rooms were not going to be ready until 2pm.

Galaxy Dining Room

CarnivalDestinyJan11133.jpg

CarnivalDestinyJan11139.jpg

Live music on the Lido. The only thing that I did not like, was it seemed that everytime I went to the lido, they were sining the same song.

"Baby your my angel, your my dahlin ....you know the song!

CarnivalDestinyJan11150.jpg

About 15 mins until our rooms were ready, everyone wanted to sit for a few (party poopers!)

CarnivalDestinyJan11151.jpg

CarnivalDestinyJan11152.jpg

Going in April 23rd and I can't wait to see the rest of the pics and hear more :)

We chose the Marriott as our pre hotel too. Looks like a good location, can you walk to Bayside from there? We usually stay at Holiday Inn across the street.

You can walk to Bayside, but it is a bit of a walk, thats why we took the Metromover. We have stayed at the Holiday Inn before and liked that hotel too. I would definetly book the Marriott again. I LOVED the bed!:D Plenty more pix and review to come!

Looking forward to more review and pictures. DH and I will be on Destiny in a couple of weeks and have booked same hotel for precruise night. Just wondering how did you dry your swimsuits out for departure the next day?

The kids all packed multiple swimsuits, so they just put them in a ziplock, and hung them up on the clothesline in the shower when we got on the ship:D.

I made a mistake with one of my pix...sorry. The waterfall was not behind the pool, it was behind the hotel ...my mind is thinking about warm temps and pools right now, because we come home to a blizzard.

My family apparently feels like they still need to be waited on, so I need to go cook dinner. I will add more later! Thanks for reading!:D

Archived