Best Snorkeling Beaches in Maui?

Queen of Adventure

Go to snorkelbobs.com and mauidiveshop.com. Both have good information about snorkeling/diving, beaches, weather, winds, water conditions, etc.

IMO, Kapalua is usually just okay, decent but not spectacular, and, depending on weather/water, can be murky and difficult.

Black Rock at Ka'anapali beach (in front of the Sheraton Maui) is almost always good. Honolua (north of Kapalua) is a marine preserve. If conditions are good, this is excellent. Also some of the Kihei/Wailea beaches have good morning snorkeling before the pm winds kickup. In fact, am into early afternoon is usually best.

You will have to drive across the island. There really aren't any good snorkeling spots on the Kahului side where POA docks. Again, this is IMO. Locals may know some spots over there.

beachchick

Some of the dive/snorkel shops rent wetsuit vests. DH gets cold and used one last time. Air temps were about 75 to 80 (March) and water temps were only about mid 70s ("only" she says, when the Pacific waters where we live never get above 60. lol.) I was fine after a couple of minutes, but September/October waters are noticably warmed and more pleasant (for me at least). OTOH, DH loved the light wetsuit vest. He said it gave him just what he needed to keep his core warm, but was light enough not to encumber him in any way. In fact, I think we might just as well buy him one on our next trip to Maui. Don't skip the snorkeling on Maui. It's fabulous.

beachchick

Archived