Voyages to Antiquity, Nov. 7, 2011

myotis

On other lines, a port may be missed or cancelled if there is a safety risk. Unfortunately, if things deteriorate, that may be necessary. Baalbek is smack in the middle of Hezbollah's stronghold in Lebanon.

If they have enough time in advance, they may be able to substitute a different port.

Bad break for your cruise. Ideally, things will settle down in time. Otherwise, perhaps a new unexpected stop is in store. I find now I take more time reading the day's news and paying more attention to the foreign news.

Well, ugly times in Tunisia right now and it is a port of call for the March Carthage cruise. I have been to Tunisia but was looking forward to see the Bardo again. I'm sure that V2A will re-route us someplace to avoid any safety issues.

When/if you find out something from VtoA about this port, would you let us know? Tunisia is on both of the itineraries I am considering for this year (albeit in the fall) and I am just curious what they might substitute, if necessary.

Any opinions as to the political unrest currently occuring in Lebanon impacting this segment of this trip?

We'll be heading that way too on the same trip so an extra day in Cyprus or Turkey or even starting in Malta would be good substitutes for us, if they need to take Lebanon on the trip by then.

Hope things quiet down, but we have been saying this about this region now for my entire lifetimes and how many lifetimes before that .... part of the Middle East travel experience from my very first in Egypt after the late 1960's war with Israel when the country was under Russian occupation and the entire city was in black out status to now.

Shifting alliances for sure, but the ongoing turmoil remains the same. We are visiting history in this area and the history here always seems to be in flux. But at least the Greeks and the Turkish are no longer shooting it out in Cyprus so it would be interesting to be able to see this entire island when we are there.

Any opinions as to the political unrest currently occuring in Lebanon impacting this segment of this trip?

What do you feel the political scene in these areas to be like by scheduled Spring cruise time? Fall cruises? Any other stops in jeopardy? Should be interesting cruises for the adventurous.

My only real concern for Egypt is the bus trip from Alexandria to Cairo for our flights home... losts of reports of bus accidents etc.

I guess travelling anywhere is somewhat of a crap shoot.. I see that parts of Mexico are now officially off the ports of call for some cruise lines. - Shar

The headline news today sound strangely like our entire VTA itinerary in November this year. :confused: My first visit to Egypt was in late 1960's after the Israeli war and everything was blacked out, sand bagged, taped over, bomb blast barriered, with depth charges going off all night in the Alexandria harbor and patrol boats whizzing by constantly.

Yet tourism went forward. Then the Sahara sandstorm that hit Cairo and turned day into night only added to the drama. What I remember most was sipping a Stella beer in the Mena House Hotel bar and hearing the announcement "Ladies and Gentlemen, your camels are ready". Yes! :cool:

Every time I wear my silver cartouche necklace it brings back fond memoires of our trip in 1991.. the first and the last time I rode a camel! V2A has posted an update on their website re the unrest and I was told that a staff member from the FLL office will be flying??? to Egypt next week if possible.

We're not due to sail until October - it's such a long flight from Australia that we booked 3 back-to-back starting Athens October 11 (hope we stay in the GB!) and it makes the long flight worthwhile.. I hope region will have settled down by then. Twice circumstances have denied us Luxor - maybe 3rd time lucky....

Initially I was saddened because I felt my fall trip was threatened. Now, in addition I feel great sadness and compassion for the freedom seeking people of Egypt. In addition, my heart goes out to all tourists who are awaiting word of assurance that they will be able to leave that area.

My dream is to visit the area while we still are able. Hopefully, Egypt will survive as a democracy and I will be able to experience it with my own eyes. Peace in and among all nations, Is it possible?

........ Hopefully, Egypt will survive as a democracy and I will be able to experience it with my own eyes. Peace in and among all nations, Is it possible?

You might be interested in reading "Peace to end all Peace" about the Middle East, who carved it up and what legacies of history this area has always endured. Who decided which and why each territory would be a "nation", let alone who was installed to govern it is a good place to start when contemplating your very good question whether nations will ever be at peace. Irredentism was a new vocabulary word for me when I studied these areas.

One of the big appeals of this area is visiting ancient civilizations - whose very being means they have come and gone. Some by rotting from within and some being overtaken from without. Surfing history or suffering from history - therein lies your answer.

I just watched Zahri Hawass, probably the most famous and definitly camera-ready antiquities professor in Egypt almost in tears in front of the Cairo museum, panicking about the fire in the building next door to the museum building and the looting and damage happening. I'm so sorry that the shopkeepers and property owners have to take up arms or hire someone to guard their property. Shar

We're not due to sail until October - it's such a long flight from Australia that we booked 3 back-to-back starting Athens October 11 (hope we stay in the GB!) and it makes the long flight worthwhile.. I hope region will have settled down by then. Twice circumstances have denied us Luxor - maybe 3rd time lucky....

Looks like you will be on the Oct. 24th sailing then? I will be on that one as well. :)

You might be interested in reading "Peace to end all Peace" about the Middle East, who carved it up and what legacies of history this area has always endured. Who decided which and why each territory would be a "nation", let alone who was installed to govern it is a good place to start when contemplating your very good question whether nations will ever be at peace. Irredentism was a new vocabulary word for me when I studied these areas.

I have just been reading a new biography of T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia). I had no idea how involved he was in the parceling out of these countries -- and can't help wondering what would've happened if more of his recommendations were followed. If you haven't read it you (or anyone else on this itinerary) might enjoy it: http://www.amazon.com/Hero-Life-Legend-Lawrence-Arabia/dp/0061712612/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296436057&sr=1-1

Tathraman and Cruisemom42, we're booked on the Oct 24 Rome to Limassol trip also. Hopefully, Tunisia will be settled down by then. I'm very sad for the people and treasures of Egypt as well as the travelers there and those who had planned to be there soon. And if this all turns out badly, our whole world is going to be much less stable.

Just advised that the first 2 cruises of the season have been cancelled and an alternative cruise that avoids Tunisia and Egypt has been offered. Ports include Libya, Malta, Crete and stops in Italy and Sicily. I've decided to take that one. V2A has also offered a $200. on board credit + 10% off your next cruise. The company really stepped up here and I'm looking forward to the new cruise. - shar

Ontariotrekker, thank you for the update. What sad times for Egypt. Hope the area can settle down in peace. It sounds like you will be able to have an interesting trip nonetheless. Please keep up abreast as situation in that area seems to be still evolving.

Archived