Voyages to Antiquity, Nov. 7, 2011

myotis

Perhaps for the November trips, if they proceed as planned, VTA should consider using Swiss Myst's title. Seems quite appropriate.

Maybe Deja Vu All Over Again would be better as we see the continual rise and fall in this area. :p

Never forget seeing chunks of old exquisitely carved Greek marble columns incorporated into the a walls of later buildings in Turkey, which in turn became ruins themselves ...........

• 3 weeks later...
I think Libya will be off the list too....bugger.

I'm not sure that Libya will be anywhere near settled down nor will Egypt or Tunisia by the looks of things despite the postings on another website saying that some of the cruiselines are going to be going into Egypt in April. Zahi Hawas, head of Egyptian antiquities has resigned saying that he can no longer control the looting and damage being done to the sites and the museums. The damage and, more importantly, the loss of life is heart-breaking. - Shar

I know I saw an email the other day as my parents were on a Holylands cruise on another line for October and they've switched Egypt out and that's for October so they are assuming nothing is going to get better. And Libya, well I just knew nothing is every guaranteed with Khadafi.

• 3 months later...
I haven't been able to find out anything on this cruise's itinerary changes - which I expect will be inevitable. Does anyone have any news?

David

I think the lack of responses to your post indicates the answer. There has been no comments from VtoA as they are not ready to share their thinking with prospective passengers. I guess we have to wait it out. Interestingly, the 2012 cruise listings do not mention Oct or Nov. journeys. It seems to be a wait and see for that time period also.

Well, I hope V2A decides soon. Our flight back to Oz from Cairo is already booked for November and as the Palmyra cruise is the most likely to be changed/rescheduled/whatever, there could be expensive complications!:confused:

Just curious as to whether the management of VtoA can assure you re your air transportation home. Since you have not been offerred free air as other passengers from the States, Europe and I believe Canada have, I would think they could take that into consideration and offer some assurances that your departure point will remain the same even if ports are substituted. Or are you concerned that the trip will be cancelled in its entirety?

No choice re air, I'm afraid. We booked and paid months ago on an early bird special. We'll have to hope that V2A will sort things out if that becomes necessary.

I just received in mail the new revised journey for Palmyra Stood, etc. and it seems that there have been changes. Have not fully absorbed the changes, but Syria and Turkey have been dropped and an Eliat stop with excursions to Old City of Jerusalem and Bethlehem added. I think Cairo will be utilized only for airport departure. But as I mentioned have not fully absorbed the changes.

P.S. Thank you VtoA. You wre listening.

• 2 weeks later...

Just announced-

The treasures of Lebanon, Israel, Jordan and Ancient Egypt: Beirut, Baalbek, transit through the Suez Canal, Safaga, Luxor, Sharm el-Sheikh, an overnight stay in Jerusalem, Petra in Jordan and Cairo

Includes 3 overnight hotel stays: in Luxor, Jerusalem and Cairo.

Shame about Palmyra - but Jerusalem and the Dead Sea are ample compensation!

Archived