Anyone dealt with Sicily Off-Road &/or Legendary Sicily Tours?

wantocruisemore

I'm trying to organize a Mt. Etna tour for my brother-in-law, his 2 teenage girls and my teenage daughter for our stop in Messina, Sicily. I have Mario Astone booked for the rest of our group since we just want to tour around Messina & Taormina. However, the others want to just go to Mt. Etna, no tour of Taormina, so I am dividing the group.

I got back a quote from Sicily Off Road and then after talking with brother-in-law they decided they liked that tour instead of the one with the ship. The quote is for 450 euros for 4. Sicily Off Road's website indicates they work in connection with Legendary Sicily tours. When I sent back indicating we wanted to reserve they now want 200 euros up front to reserve the trip. I have private tours booked for the majority of our cruise stops including our pre-cruise in Rome. The most I have ever had to do was give a credit card in case of no show. The only thing I have pre-paid is the deposit on the cruise and the apartment rental in Rome.

That seems not only unusual but a large amount for a deposit. Anyone else had any experience with this? I did some checking and they seem reputable.

I had checked into Sicily Life since more seem to use them but their tours tend to encompass a greater variety and the ones that just go to Mt. Etna seem to leave you on your own too much to take the cable car up on own etc. I'm concerned about them making it back to the ship on time since none of the ones going on that tour are as particular as I am about being on time.

Experiences? Suggestions? Advice?

We are using a different driver guide service and are paying 370 euros for four people for Taormina & Mount Etna with no deposit (just credit card hold) required. I wouldn't do just Mount Etna with the price and huge deposit you listed above.

I agree personally that I want to see more than just Mt. Etna. However, the 4 interested in that just want to see Mt. Etna and want as much time as possible exploring with a knowledgeable guide. They don't want the cattle call of the big bus from the ship or the tour that just goes to one location for a few shots on the volcano. The guide that does these tours with Sicily Off Road is supposedly a geologist.

I am hesitant to send the deposit. It just seems so unusual.

I wouldn't send that significant deposit until I read reviews of the tour. But if it's a licensed guide, expert, or geologist and it's a jeep excursion, that could explain the higher price and significant deposit. We are using a driver guide service like you for the combination tour. I think if we were going to do one or the other, we might just take a taxi, bus, or something like that. We're really looking forward to our day in Sicily.

Archived