Tour option in Corinto Nicaragua

David911

I am a Canadian who does quite a bit of volunteer work with the Bomberos (firefighters) of Nicaragua. I am working on trying to put together a tour sponsored by the firefighters. It would basically involve the Firefighters coming to the terminal in Corinto to pick the group up in a Fire Truck and touring you around the area. You could see the mudpits, the churches, market (and pay local prices) or whatever you wanted to do. The most amazing experience in Nicaragua is going to the garbage dump where hundreds of children live and sponsoring a meal for them. All you do is show up with a few dollars and help serve the children soup. That is the highlight of every person I have ever take to Nicaragua.

The only difference between this and other tours is that you will probably be shuttled around with the lights and sirens going. You can sit on the top of the truck, hang on the back or sit in the jumpseat. Probably something you could never do at home.

I am the honorary Chief of the Chinandega fire dept (the town next to Corinto) and I am trying to come up with some creative ways to inject some desperately needed dollars into the department. Prices have not been set for this tour as I am still in the planning stage, but it could be ready to go as early as next week. 100% of every dollar made on the tour will be used to fund the fire dept. My business partner in Nicaragua and I will oversee the tours, but will not make a cent on them.

Please let me know if this may be of interest to you.

Thank you and have a great day.

David

Dear David911,

Four of us on the Rotterdam will be in Corinto on Feb 9th. Could we have the tour and have the fire engine take us to the garbage dump to sponsor a meal and feed the children there.

What kind of fee are you proposing? Could there be a chance for the children to ride the fire engine?

Northworlf

Good Morning Northwolf,

I just have to talk to the Fire Chief in Nicaragua to confirm the cost and make sure those dates work. There shouldn't be a problem at all. As for the Children living at the garbage bump riding the Firetruck, that probably won't work as there will be about 300 kids show up for the meal. I guarantee you that this will be the most life changing experience you will have. The meal will already be prepared before you arrive and you and your group will serve the children. I do suggest to bring a couple bags of hard candy to hand out to the children, but make sure you have enough for at least 300.

Please send me an email at davidsakaki@gmail.com and I will send you some more photos of what you can expect.

Thank you

David

65423_139893686067021_139752292747827_252849_277854_n.jpg.5cc442013fdd88f517d66d720f27447a.jpg

1519263617_Screenshot2011-01-21at9_22_32AM.jpg.4bf4f5f14670ec5974907cccc0fb5d9f.jpg

815460137_Screenshot2011-01-21at9_35_12AM.jpg.e6a0cad81e1c5a8fb3a2e8b4e4044210.jpg

Edited by David911

• 3 months later...

Here is a review from the first tour in Nicaragua…

Subject: Corinto fire truck tour - a highlight of the trip

You can see Chinandega (near Corinto) via a fire truck provided by Canadian firefighters in Kamloops and Prince Rupert, BC. Our tour was wonderful and hopeful as we saw improvements in children's lives made possible by the fire fighters joint effort. We saw a soup kitchen for children living in a settlement near the garbage dump and the location for the school and health center for these children. We toured in style, saw a church, had lunch in a restful and good restaurant, toured the old town. Gerry Cecares, the Chinandega fire chief who heads the joint benevolent effort, gives insight and information about life in Nicaragua. Don't worry about mobility - our group of 9 included one person in a wheelchair and one with walker. We gladly paid $75 per person for the tour and know we helped Nicaraguan children. It was fabulous.

Just email davidsakaki@gmail.com to set up your tour. The yellow fire engine will meet you at the dock. It will be your best "shore excursion".

If you have any questions please feel free to email me (Judy) at judyden@gmail.com

1992811406_AgreattourKamloopstruck.jpg.e79419dc884e853b9e6805559c4f61d3.jpg

1681523254_firetruckPrinceRupertdoor.jpg.2badc64d248d1c38a399159e81701998.jpg

Thanks for posting your review Judy. We haven't booked anything yet in Corinto and I felt a bit uncomfortable when I first read about the tour - tourists dropping in on poor people kind of thing. However now that I've read your comments, I like the idea of contributing to something worthwhile like this.

• 1 month later...

Hi David,

Just to let you know I will be emailing you, I am VERY interested in booking a tour with you guys!

We will be in Corinto April 30, 2012 and this is something we would love to do while in town!

I'll email soon - and being from BC (Richmond) makes it even more special!

• 7 years later...