Which suitcases are best for cruising?

Jo and Rob

We need to get some more luggage. Rob likes hard, enormous cases and is looking for four wheels. I on the other hand like the idea of cases that fit into each other so it is easier to fit them under the bed. Rob is concerned that fabric cases will easily tear and get damaged at airports, but I'm concerned that we won't be able to fit new big hard cases under the bed.

Our current hard cases fitted under the Princess and Costa beds but it was really tight trying to get them under the bed on the Allure of the Seas and even then we could only get one under as there was a spare quilt under there to the other one had to stand in the corner.

As we will be in a little outside cabin on the Oceana I am sure you will understand my concern! Advice please, with your experiences and preferences plus any recommendations.

Does anyone know the how much space there is under the P&O beds?

Many thanks

Hi Jo and Rob,

We bought new fabric Trypp suitcases from Debenhams 3 years ago. They are extra lightweight so don't take up your valuable weight allowance, with wheels, and come in 3 sizes. We bought the large ones and small ones. The small ones with wheels are perfect for hand luggage for the plane and for the last morning's bits and bobs on the cruise. The large ones are a perfect size for a 23/25kg limit. We need to get the middle sized ones now, for 15/20 kg plane journeys. They all fit inside each other. You could easily get 4 under the P&O queen size bed configuration.

They have flown on numerous journeys in the last 3 years and are still in perfect condition so far. I noticed they were on sale, not sure whether they still are. :)

My hard-sided four-wheel Delsey cases have so far survived many cruises. They open in two halves so are easy to pack and great to store under the bed open as an extra "drawer ". They would probably be too heavy for fly cruising though.

We have never used cases - our Delsey fabric holdalls has been all over the World - including three trips to India where luggage usually ends up on a bus roof at some point and Indian porters don't really worry about caring for luggage!

We bought them about 13 years ago in the Harvey Nicks sale and they were about £60, which at the time we thought was expensive, but I reckon they will outlive us.

They are light when empty and also fold flat, so no worries about storage.

try Sub Zero-G - they're ultra lightweight and when you have such a small luggage allowance every spare kilo counts!

http://www.bagsetc.co.uk/index.asp?level1=WORLDS+LIGHTEST

These are marvelous for being lightweight, however we took our three back as they were not water tight. Our clothes were really soaked after a shower of rain. The rain seems to get in through where the zip is. Maybe they have improved them now.

These are marvelous for being lightweight, however we took our three back as they were not water tight. Our clothes were really soaked after a shower of rain. The rain seems to get in through where the zip is. Maybe they have improved them now.

ours have been fine......maybe a dud batch?

Your main cases will be delivered from your car to the cabin so dont have to have wheels although these days most have.

Ones that will pack away in each other.. russian doll style are best as you only have the space beneath your bed to store them...

BUT its worth haveing wheely cases for your other bits and on the last night you put your bags out around 6pm and need a case for your overnight bits and last night clothes etc... YOur case will be stored last night in the hold and taken ashore early morning ready to collect when you get off .

TAKE an empty bag to bring home the extras !!!!!!!!

Bullet proof ones:( on oceana last october we got one of our suitcases delivered to the room and was badly damaged,it was one of the hard plastic almost indestructible ones so god knows what they had done with it,reported to reception and was offered the insurance contact number not of any use as the excess would cancel any compensation out so make them good ones,there were a few more couples at reception at the same time with the same problem,ps the cruise itself was amazing.

I love my Kipling holdall/suitcase , its on wheels and it splits into two halves , i have a lower compartment and an upper compartment , it was very handy when we recently did a weeks stay in Orlando followed by a cruise round the caribbean , i packed all my Orlando stuff in one compartment and all my cruise stuff in the other , wouldnt be without it , they are expensive but i got mine half price on amazon , very lightweight yet very durable , it was like a tardis i couldnt believe how much i got in it .

We have the largest Tripp suitcases on wheels in the display at Debenhams.In different colours so we know who's is who. NOW is a good time to but them as well as they are usually in their 'January Sale' with the cases costing around £50 each from £100....or so.

We have a large one each on a 14n cruise, plus a small weekender case for 'bits and bobs' (including the winebox lol for the balcony drinking in cabin), Plus a suit carrier...

Great Sailing from Southampton when you can take as many cases as you want.

I would have to be more restrictive on a fly cruise though, but haven't done one yet, the luggage weight limit puts me off, lol.:D

We have had Antler luggage for over 15 years - a set of 6 which are great for cruises because they nest. We got fed up with them because they wouldn't wear out, so bought some smart new luggage from M&S, but after just one holiday they started to look shabby so we're back to the Antler cases.

Luggage takes a battering whether cruising or flying, so the best you can afford is my advice. But cases that nest make them easier to store in your cabin.

Archived