Marina Cruise Feb. 26- S.F. to Miami

geegeecruiser

Hello Fellow Marina Cruisers

I just read a very disturbing article in our newspaper (Santa Barbara, Ca) that several cruise lines are pulling out of San Diego and relocating to Texas or Florida due to fears of traveling to Mexico! Specifically Royal Caribbean and Carnival I have personally heard of two bad incidents for passengers going on Mexican excursions. We have taken 2 or 3 cruises to Mexico in the last 15 years and have never felt threatened, but I must admit that this time, I had some concerns when we booked this cruise/ Now, I am thinking that we may enjoy the facilities on the Marina rather than do many of the ports while traveling thru Mexico.

I can't speak for Mazatlan, as I haven't been there in 5 or 6 years, but I can say that I was just in Cabo this past May and never felt safer. It's still a lovely destination and I would go again in a heartbeat.

We were in both Huatulco, and Puerto Chiapas in '07, with no problems, but I would definitely stay on your lovely Marina when in Acapulco. What a sad change in that city's fortunes.

I just read a very disturbing article in our newspaper (Santa Barbara, Ca) that several cruise lines are pulling out of San Diego and relocating to Texas or Florida due to fears of traveling to Mexico! Specifically Royal Caribbean and Carnival I have personally heard of two bad incidents for passengers going on Mexican excursions.
Yes there has been increased violence in certain parts of Mexico which has led to traveler's concern about cruising or resort travel. But the decision to move cruise ships out of Southern California ports was based on a number of other factors, not strictly fears of travel to Mexico.

Here's an interesting article about the woes of SoCal ports. It points to a number of economic factors - deep recession, low profitability even at ship capacity, rising fuel costs, large distances between Mexican ports - at play. The recent H1N1 scare and increased violence in Mexico were certainly contributing factors, but the economic writing was on the wall before that. Bottom line, cruise lines can make more profit by deploying the ships elsewhere. The writer calls it a perfect storm for SoCal ports. Interesting stuff.

We've had nothing but very positive experiences over many trips to Mexico. That's not to say that trouble isn't there, but that we never found it. We'd have no hesitation getting off the ship in any port in Mexico. But understandably YMMV.

http://travelweekly.com/article3_ektid226824.aspx

Archived