Elation Propulsion + 72$

rcrx

What does the fine print have to do with why people choose to cruise......nobody here that cruises for ports (that I know of) ever denied what the fine print says......

And I am not talking about the few that kick and scream when things don't go their way.....they are just miserable people period......don't throw us all in one basket please......

Well said and obviously you understood what I was trying to say.

We are going to have fun regardless of what happens.

Gosh. I almost booked a Sep 2011 cruise on Elation last night. Now what to do? My concern is what if the ship runs into "rough seas?" We were on Elation last Dec and goodness gracious, did that ship rock and roll. The captain seemed to have the ship going full blast smack into the waves. DH says that is a wise thing to do rather than slow down and let those big waves hit withouth resistence from the ship.

So, if Elation is puttering at only 5 knot, what would happen????

Decisions, decisions. We have never gotten sea sick, but many, many others, including crew did.

I'll discuss with Hubbie when he gets in. THanks for the heads up on this one.

Dan,

You have completely missed what I was talking about. Nowhere did you see me question going to a port. Read my posts before you jump to unfounded conclusions.

I said, now stay with me here, that not all of us cruise to just be on the ship. That some of us cruise to go to the ports.

I have no idea where you and G'ma inferred anything different.

I cruise for the ports too. But I have been well aware that a 'cruise' is a ship ride. Not a conveyance from one place to another. All the literature states the ports are not guaranteed, in fact they state that NO ports must be included. If necessary, determined SOLELY by the cruiseline, any cruise can become a CTN.

Am I happy when ports are changed or skipped? No, of course not. Am I aware that it can and does happen? Yes I am. Has it happened to me? Yes it has. In fact there is one port that I have been on SIX different 'ship rides' that were supposed to stop there. I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THAT PORT! Yet Grand Cayman is the most missed Caribbean port, and we have never missed a stop at GC. I was on a cruise that missed a stop at Bermuda, my wife has never been to Bermuda. Was I angry? I could have chosen to be angry. Or I could have used my intelligence and agreed that traveling 100 more miles directly into 40 foot waves and 80 knot winds was not a good idea. [bermuda closed their ports and their airport anyway] We ended up going to the Azores instead and neither of us had ever been there and it was a very interesting stop.

A hurricane came and nearly destroyed our home. We lived in a camper in the yard for 10 months while it was repaired. Did we choose to live on the ocean in a hurricane area? Yes we made that choice. No one else is responsible for choices I knowingly make.

Did I miss your point?

I cruise for the ports too. But I have been well aware that a 'cruise' is a ship ride. Not a conveyance from one place to another. All the literature states the ports are not guaranteed, in fact they state that NO ports must be included. If necessary, determined SOLELY by the cruiseline, any cruise can become a CTN.

Am I happy when ports are changed or skipped? No, of course not. Am I aware that it can and does happen? Yes I am. Has it happened to me? Yes it has. In fact there is one port that I have been on SIX different 'ship rides' that were supposed to stop there. I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THAT PORT! Yet Grand Cayman is the most missed Caribbean port, and we have never missed a stop at GC. I was on a cruise that missed a stop at Bermuda, my wife has never been to Bermuda. Was I angry? I could have chosen to be angry. Or I could have used my intelligence and agreed that traveling 100 more miles directly into 40 foot waves and 80 knot winds was not a good idea. [bermuda closed their ports and their airport anyway] We ended up going to the Azores instead and neither of us had ever been there and it was a very interesting stop.

A hurricane came and nearly destroyed our home. We lived in a camper in the yard for 10 months while it was repaired. Did we choose to live on the ocean in a hurricane area? Yes we made that choice. No one else is responsible for choices I knowingly make.

Did I miss your point?

Good then everyone seems to be on the same page:D

I must add something here:

I've cruised the Elation many' date=' many times and was on the inaugural of this little gem. Last year, I spent 2 weeks on Elation when it repositioned to Mobil and enjoyed every minute. The well-seasoned crew and staff were wonderful; the food delicious and they didn't repeat one menu in 2 weeks. From Cabin Stewards to entertainment personnel, I found a great professionalism and friendliness.

35 years of cruising has shown me many things about the experience. Mechanical problems can arise on any ship, any time despite the best efforts of the cruise line to keep it well-maintained. Heck, even cars have accidents, fender-benders and breakdowns. That's life.

No cruise line wants to miss a port. They know they will have to answer for it..mostly to those onboard who aren't seasoned cruisers and whose expectations are totally out of line for the reality of travel at sea. They try to find an alternate port; but that isn't always possible. There may not be enough docking facilities (several other ships are also asea and have "reservations" at ports). Or, the alternate ports are too far away to reach in the time period of the cruise...or, the ships "problem" may prohibit the speed needed to reach the alternate port.

No matter what vessel I've been on, when a port is missed or the decision must be made to drop a port, it has ALWAYS been announced - several times - by the Captain, the CD, Guest Services and there has ALWAYS been a letter delivered to each cabin advising the passengers....and any compensation that might be offered. A sympathetic ear has always been available at guest services who will listen and explain again the "why's" if necessary. If they are approached with courtesy in an adult manner, their patience is unending....they do this year round, week after week....

While it's true that many reserve a cruise for the itinerary...(maybe even most do), it's equally true that a port - or several ports may have to be dropped for various reasons. This is carefully laid out in the terms and conditions/ticket contract to which we all agree when we book the cruise. Every cruise line has the same information concerning port cancellations...almost the exact wording. It's up to the passenger to read and understand the nature of the cruise and any pitfalls. Missed ports are never planned. There is always something completely beyond the control of the Captain, the company or anyone else. It's imperative to know that before you book and prepare for this eventuality. If you book a cruise only for the itinerary, you will eventually be disappointed.

To suggest that at the first sign of trouble a ship should return to port instead of continuing is ludicrous. Most people would be irate. Most accept the change in the spirit of cruising and make lemonade. Most take disappointments like this in good humor knowing all that can be done is being done.

I regret OP was disappointed and has rejected future Carnival cruises. However, this incident can and does happen on ALL cruise lines...it doesn't matter if it's the Queens of Cunard or the dinky overnight cruises to the Bahamas. Ship happens.....and it won't make any difference at all what ship you are on.

As for "nothing to do"; any Funtimes paper shows the day and night packed with activities from sunrise until late night. Many, many musical venues, shows, entertainment venues and everything is open and running no matter where the ship is. I find it impossible there was "nothing to do" ever, on any ship, any line, any time. If all else fails, there's always a quiet place on deck where a good book can be enjoyed - sun can be had. Pools are open, hot tubs and over 1000 people onboard to meet and enjoy.[/quote']

I think they must have replace d most of the staff sine were on it. Several sai this was only there 2nd time on the ship and you could tell. Service was awful which is what upset me most.

And there is only so much trivia one can take. You have to pay for BINGO Im not about to waste money every time they offer that. The shows were midiocure. And we couldnt swim due to bad weather. Now if they had an indoor heated pool that would a different story. There a couple of fun things like the marriage show and pictionary and trivia the first time. But trivia 6 times a day is ridiculous. Believe me we went to all that was offered just to stay busy but it wasnt fun or exciting. Ive seen past fun times from my boss and friends and they had more selection. Elation not the ship to go on right now. Maybe when then get some new crew!

Dan,

Yes, to a degree. I see we are on the same page in how we handle the unexpected things. I just roll with the flow, and it would seem that you do too.

My whole point has nothing to do with "it is possible you may miss a port". It has to do with why we cruise. It is to go to the ports, not just to be on a ship.

Somewhere back in this thread, I thought one of the questions was why do you cruise if it isn't for being on the ship. That was what my response of "to go to the ports" was in reference to. I fully understand there is no guarantee of going to any port, once we leave.

Dan,

Yes, to a degree. I see we are on the same page in how we handle the unexpected things. I just roll with the flow, and it would seem that you do too.

My whole point has nothing to do with "it is possible you may miss a port". It has to do with why we cruise. It is to go to the ports, not just to be on a ship.

Somewhere back in this thread, I thought one of the questions was why do you cruise if it isn't for being on the ship. That was what my response of "to go to the ports" was in reference to. I fully understand there is no guarantee of going to any port, once we leave.

We have a standard procedure for when things go wrong.

Barb and I look at each other and say, "The adventure continues!"

While we book cruises mainly for the ports we wish to visit, again or for the first time. We would NOT book a cruise that had 6 ports in 7 days. Probably no more than 4. We enjoy the relaxing, DO NOTHING, time on the ocean too. And we're too old to do the port marathon walking every day, day after day. Had hip xrays done yesterday, them babies is wearing out on me.

Our perfect cruise would be, and this was true before old age crept into the picture, C day, port day, C day, port day, C day, port day, C day, port day,,,,,,,,you get the idea. There is no such cruise.

What does the fine print have to do with why people choose to cruise......nobody here that cruises for ports (that I know of) ever denied what the fine print says......

And I am not talking about the few that kick and scream when things don't go their way.....they are just miserable people period......don't throw us all in one basket please......

Perhaps I didn't express what I meant well enough. The "fine print" remark was concerning changes in itineraries, ports missed, change in arrival times and the cruise lines policy with regard to these matters.

Of course, many choose a ship for the itinerary. What they need to do, however, is READ the terms and conditions that clearly outline that all ports may not be available, ports may be missed, tours and excursions cancelled, ports cancelled...and realize that the desired itinerary may not be operated as shown. It's better to know what to expect, what might occur and use that information when planning a cruise. Always have a plan "B"......and don't get your nose pushed out of joint when ship happens.

Ok Im typing this on my phone so Im not including resoponses to specific quotes beacuse ther are a few Im responding to.

First off the bigger problem was cutomer service and communication. Thats why I will cruise again just not with Carnival.

I think both the ports and the ship are the reason people pick cruising. And yes the ports are not guaranteed but then the cruise staff (and director who we hardly ever saw) needs to provide even better customer service. There should be more of a variety of activities especially when the weather is ba and you cannot swim. The entertainment staff is hired to entertain and keep the guests happy. Heck our assistant waiter did a better job of that at dinner. The one thing I did expect was to have fun on the FUN ship.

I know complaining on here has no purpose and I will be filing out my survey and my boss is letting our carnival rep know about my experience. We also arent pushing the elation to clients any time soon. My boss asked me why I didnt complain on board and I told her because the poor guest services was being bombarded already with upset people (and Ive been in their shoes). I am greatful to those that did their job and did go above and beyond.

Someone also made a comment about carnival only offering an exotic carribean cruises since ports are never guaranteed. My husband actually mentioned something similar to me last night which I was going to post. He said if ports dont matter at all (like some say) then why dont they offer a gulf of mexico, atlantic ocean, etc cruise. It would save carnival and guests money. They could leave from a port go out 50 miles into the ocean so you cannot see land and then everyone can just vacation on the ship. They would save fuel, port charges and wear and tear on hsips. All they would need to do is provide great service, food and entertainment. No one would ever get mad about missing a port, etc. Just food for thought, lol.

Any way I was happy with the $70 they gave us all back per person. I dont think they owe anyone any more money. But they do need to up their service at least on the elation. I think our nextc ruise will be Disney in a few years with the kiddos. With all there is on those ships I wouldnt care if we didnt go anywhere but the middle of the ocean, lol.

Like Ive said on my fb page when I posted pictures. I will cruise again just on a different cruise line, for 7 days not 5, and between April-September. Lol.

I ddint even bash Carnivals service on my fb page since I am well aware it may have just been that particular crew and thpossibly the circumstances. Even though I dont think the circumstances had anything to do with it because the crew seemed grummy after day 2. And several past guests said that the this cruise did have the worst service and food they have ever had. Their prices are great and I think if someone wants to try them they should.

Well I hope the debates end soon tis thread is getting long. See what youve started poster #1!

Ooooops. Had no idea it would turn into 17 pages..heck my BH and I said if we had money..we would go back next week and give it another try. I'm not bitter...I think our bartender would have a heart attack if he saw us back though!

I must add something here:

I've cruised the Elation many' date=' many times and was on the inaugural of this little gem. Last year, I spent 2 weeks on Elation when it repositioned to Mobil and enjoyed every minute. The well-seasoned crew and staff were wonderful; the food delicious and they didn't repeat one menu in 2 weeks. From Cabin Stewards to entertainment personnel, I found a great professionalism and friendliness.

35 years of cruising has shown me many things about the experience. Mechanical problems can arise on any ship, any time despite the best efforts of the cruise line to keep it well-maintained. Heck, even cars have accidents, fender-benders and breakdowns. That's life.

No cruise line wants to miss a port. They know they will have to answer for it..mostly to those onboard who aren't seasoned cruisers and whose expectations are totally out of line for the reality of travel at sea. They try to find an alternate port; but that isn't always possible. There may not be enough docking facilities (several other ships are also asea and have "reservations" at ports). Or, the alternate ports are too far away to reach in the time period of the cruise...or, the ships "problem" may prohibit the speed needed to reach the alternate port.

No matter what vessel I've been on, when a port is missed or the decision must be made to drop a port, it has ALWAYS been announced - several times - by the Captain, the CD, Guest Services and there has ALWAYS been a letter delivered to each cabin advising the passengers....and any compensation that might be offered. A sympathetic ear has always been available at guest services who will listen and explain again the "why's" if necessary. If they are approached with courtesy in an adult manner, their patience is unending....they do this year round, week after week....

While it's true that many reserve a cruise for the itinerary...(maybe even most do), it's equally true that a port - or several ports may have to be dropped for various reasons. This is carefully laid out in the terms and conditions/ticket contract to which we all agree when we book the cruise. Every cruise line has the same information concerning port cancellations...almost the exact wording. It's up to the passenger to read and understand the nature of the cruise and any pitfalls. Missed ports are never planned. There is always something completely beyond the control of the Captain, the company or anyone else. It's imperative to know that before you book and prepare for this eventuality. If you book a cruise only for the itinerary, you will eventually be disappointed.

To suggest that at the first sign of trouble a ship should return to port instead of continuing is ludicrous. Most people would be irate. Most accept the change in the spirit of cruising and make lemonade. Most take disappointments like this in good humor knowing all that can be done is being done.

I regret OP was disappointed and has rejected future Carnival cruises. However, this incident can and does happen on ALL cruise lines...it doesn't matter if it's the Queens of Cunard or the dinky overnight cruises to the Bahamas. Ship happens.....and it won't make any difference at all what ship you are on.

As for "nothing to do"; any Funtimes paper shows the day and night packed with activities from sunrise until late night. Many, many musical venues, shows, entertainment venues and everything is open and running no matter where the ship is. I find it impossible there was "nothing to do" ever, on any ship, any line, any time. If all else fails, there's always a quiet place on deck where a good book can be enjoyed - sun can be had. Pools are open, hot tubs and over 1000 people onboard to meet and enjoy.[/quote']

I would not reject a future cruise on Carnival..would go back next week.. it was'nt the best cruise ever but sure as hell could have been alot worse!

My whole point to my complaint was lack of communication in a timely manner..I found plenty to do.. I can play some bingo..do some trivia and always have room for DOD's and cheeseburgers!

I will be boarding the Elation on Monday 1/24/11 for the third time since July. This port is easy for me to drive to-airfair savings is why I choose this ship mainly. Having been on it twice in 7 months already, I can say I have had a blast on this ship! Overall, very good service! (6th Carnival overall and 4 with other companies years ago). Ok, that said. Everyone says a cruise is what you make it and I 1,000% agree! I have never, ever had a bad cruise!!!! I have also never missed a port - Yes, I pick a cruise partly based on port but saving the airfare (departure port) is a big deal to me. I travel a lot with my mother and when the Splendor incident occured, we both agreed, we could have made the best of it and would have been totally ok with what happened.....Hello, that cruise free, next cruise free....And would have booked again immediately! Read the small print and know what the heck you are in for!, don't expect everything to be perfect; and who cares where you are if you don't have to cook, clean, grocery shop, do laundry, etc.. etc...Yes, I want to port,and yes I want to to do stuff and be entertained! But, the 'I don't HAVE to do anything' is the best part!!!!!!!

With all due respect .. how many threads do you see people trying to decide between same class ships, different ports and wanting to know which interary to pick . a lot of thought goes into the ports and which ones to pick. People do pick cruises by which ports they go to.

Even if I dont think they are due more compensation .. I can be sympathetic to them missing a unusual port that most ships dont hit. I would be dissapointed in missing that port.

Thank you! I was really bummed to miss our planned excursion to Tulum, no matter whose fault it was or wasn't! Didn't ruin my cruise, but I was still disappointed.

I think they must have replace d most of the staff sine were on it. Several sai this was only there 2nd time on the ship and you could tell. Service was awful which is what upset me most.

And there is only so much trivia one can take. You have to pay for BINGO Im not about to waste money every time they offer that. The shows were midiocure. And we couldnt swim due to bad weather. Now if they had an indoor heated pool that would a different story. There a couple of fun things like the marriage show and pictionary and trivia the first time. But trivia 6 times a day is ridiculous. Believe me we went to all that was offered just to stay busy but it wasnt fun or exciting. Ive seen past fun times from my boss and friends and they had more selection. Elation not the ship to go on right now. Maybe when then get some new crew!

You have always had to pay for Bingo...

We were on the cruise with the propulsion problems. Overall there is nothing wrong with this ship...crew was all fantastic. We enjoyed the activities. Would have preferred to have had the sun out and would have loved to lay out in the sun or visited the beach in Cozumel or seen Playa de Carmen for the first time but that didnt happen. You have to decide to not focus on that and just enjoy the rest. I have been on 14 cruises and i have never had to miss a port until this cruise. I think that is a pretty good record. This was also the first cruise we have ever gotten seriously seasick..to the point we were all running for the bathroom within a 15 minute period (around 5am Thursday...ship was really rocking). Even in spite of that we will return to the Elation...maybe as soon as May 2010! My only complaint was i really felt they could have relayed info more openly about what really was happening and been more timely with the info.

Archived