should i take amtrak from ny to mia??

Francis

I did the train from Philly to Orlando a few years ago. Two adults an a teenage, we were going to take the train back, but decided to turn in our tickets and drive! The coach section is very uncomfortable sitting for 17 hours. You can walk around go to the dining car, etc, but unless you get a sleeper I wouldn't do it. We left Philly at 8pm and arrived in Sanford/Orlando at around 1pm, if I'm correct. We didn't see anthing except for trees, swamps, rivers, a few small towns , more trees, swamps, rover and more trees. The same as driving on I-95, but with driving we can stop and see friends and familiy along the way, tour the towns, stop at amusements parks and outlet malls, stop at South of the Border, which we now speed past. I use to drive to Florida and Georgia several times a year. Now I take the 2 hour flight and rent a car when I get there. Life's too short to be spent driving 12-24 hours in a car.

We like the train to Florida- usually people like train rides or they don't. Most of the time the trains are clean (we've been on 10 long train rides on Amtrak and have thoroughly enjoyed seeing the U.S. this way)-usually the food is good-especially the breakfasts- although the dinners are over-priced.

I wouldn't take a long trip for a first train ride- see if you like it first by taking a shorter trip.

We always stay at a hotel the night before embarking on a cruise- always come in the day before sailing as there are train delays, but delays can occur with any form of travel.

I agree with the above poster, either you love the train or you don't. I worked onboard for four years when I got out of the navy in the early 90's. Worked mostly on the Capital Limited between DC and Chicago. Some people would get on the train in DC, we left at about 4:30 p.m. and they would ask what time we would get into Chicago. I would tell them at 9:15 a.m. the next morning, we were ontime about 80% of the time, and they would get all upset saying that they should have flown. We always thought it was hillarious that they would get upset over this when they're the ones who bought the ticket.

I personally love train travel, give me my room and a book and I'm content and find it very relaxing. If you're going down to Miami, I would definately arrive a day early, because six hours late is not uncommon. I look at it this way, it's a 24 hour train ride so six hours late isn't to bad. Some two hour flights can be that late. Take care.

I'm taking the train from NYC to Philly after my cruise later this month. However Philly is NOT Miami. 30 hours is a lot of sitting especially if your anxious to get home and tell your friends about your GREAT cruise! Last summer I went from Philadelphia to Washingto DC by train Wilmington, Delaware was interesting but other than that all I really remeber was countryside, very pretty but not remarkable. Kathy

Wise choice. The most miserable 24 hours I ever spent was on the auto train from VA to FL. We decided that we didn't need to spend the money on a sleeper with those big, comfy chairs. Yeah right. There was no way to get comfortable and it was the longest night of our lives. I ended up trying to sleep on the floor under the seats because they were so uncomfortable. On the return trip, I shelled out the extra cash for a sleeper and that was a lot better. However, it is really cost prohibitive. And as others have said, zip on the scenery. Enjoy your flight! :D

Archived