What is Tabyana Beach like?

singwithjoy

We book Tabyana Beach with lunch for our March cruise on the Crown.

What is this beach like? Any pictures? What do they have for the lunch?

Is it worth $49 price? What if you left early and went somewhere else?

I would like to see the Cameo Workshop. Can I do this? How?

Tabyana Beach is West Bay Beach, it's just a little section of the beach that is blocked off from the resorts and has chairs on it. If you look up West Bay Beach you will find tons of photos

• 2 weeks later...

LOTS of chairs and people lined up on them along the beach. Cruiselines really push this part of the beach. Know there are other spots to rent a cahir that are less crowded and many places right on the beach to eat.

Was there last week.

My DH and I were at Tabyana Beach on Jan 26, 2011. This was our 3rd visit, but our first encounter with jellyfish. The jellyfish were biting so bad that snorkeling was a miserable experience. I couldn't deal with it, but my DH continued to snorkle. The stings were like a mild fire ant bite. They left an immediate red mark on me, but since my DH was unmarked, he suffered through the bites and snorkled 3 times. 24 hrs later he body was covered with red, welpy-like pustles. He had thick clusters around his ankles and wrists. He's pretty stoic about it and doesn't seem the worse for wear, but I wanted to throw out this warning to anyone planning on snorkeling there. Also, I was wondered if any one knows if this is a seasonal problem? Our last 2 times at Tabyana were in May and September and there were no jellyfish on those occassions.

Someone somewhere could post basically the same thing about almost any beach around the world at some time or other. As you already know this is not a constant thing. Currents, season, water temps, winds etc.. all play a role, it would not be odd if they were no longer an issue by the time you posted on here.

We were there last year in February and had the same exact experience. They were all over and they were giving warnings about it. This turned my kids right off...luckily we had passes at the Mayan Princess and enjoyed using the pool. I was a bit disappointed though because the water was beautiful.

I didn't realize my post on Tabyana beach was going to be moved into this post, so I would like to take this opportunity to better answer the OP's questions.

Tabyana beach is wonderful. The facilities are kept immaculate. Someone is always clearing away trash, raking the sand, and keeping things clean. The restrooms and changing rooms are very clean and well-stocked. They are staffed all day by someone who repeatedly cleans and tends them. There are freshwater showers outside. The food the day we were there was BBQ chicken, hamburgers, hotdogs, coleslaw, rice, watermelon. The food was average, but there was plenty, and we were hungry. The beach always makes me hungry; not sure why. The water, lemonade, and tea (I think), were plentiful and we were encouraged to drink alot to stay hydrated. Bar service on the beach was good, but not included in the price. There are plenty of white plastic chaise loungers are the beach. They line them up a little too close, but don't seem to object if you move them around. There was an ample supply of shady locations. The beach itself is that soft, white sand that is so wonderful on your feet. The beach is long and populated with condo's, rentals, restaurants etc... If you like to take walks on the beach, this beach gives you plenty to look at. It's a busy, fairly crowded beach, but not too loud or rowdy the day we were there (Jan 26). The was a big blowup play structure in the water for the kids. The snorkeling gear was in good condition and they had plenty of instructors on hand, if you needed assistance. The beach hawkers selling necklaces, massages and hairbraiding were numerous, but not overly aggressive.

If you have more questions, let me know. I'll check back later. Have fun!

We were there in October and thought it was amazing. I've been to St. Martin, Margarita Island, Puerto Rico and the Cayman Island, and this beach ranks in my top 3. There were no jelly fish when we were there. We visited the beach as part of an excursion with Princess Crown.

• 2 weeks later...

This beach area is a TRUE Caribbean gem! I have traveled all over the world and this is by far one of the nicest areas I have ever seen. It is said that it's one of the top places in the world for snorkeling/etc. I'm not a snorkeler but I DO appreciate a great beach and this is one of them! I found it VERY worth the money with some local artisans off to designated areas selling small items but by no means pushy, just there for your convenience. And the drinks were delish while the wait staff was at the top of their game!

On a scale of 1 to 10.....it was a 100!!!!!!! :) That's why I'm going back there in a few months! ;)

Me, my son and daughter will be on the Carnival Legend in July and my son is interested in doing the zip line in Roatan but my daughter and I are not. There is an excursion with zip lining and tabyana beach and also one with just tabyana beach. My question is, if my son does the zipline/tabyana beach and my daughter and I do just the tabyana beach, how difficult would it be for us to hook up after he is done zip lining. Is the beach really huge or would it be easy for us to find each other?

Thanks for your help!

No trouble at all. Tabyana beach is just a small area along West Bay which is only a mile long. It is next door to Infinity Bay Resort which is easy to spot as it has a magnificent infinity pool and beautiful grounds. You will be dropped right at Tabyana. Cruise lines use that area so it is lined with tons of chairs (and on heavy cruiseship days very crowded). But small enough to find your family.

We just got back yesterday and did the Tabyana Beach excursion through NCL. It was in a word...Awesome! The beach was amazing and we too are avid travelers and have been to many beaches. There were no jellyfish while we were there. This excursion was worth the money and we would def do it again.

...There were no jellyfish while we were there...

Interesting as we were there last Thursday had saw a lot of jellyfish over the reef, although we were on a boat which let us off a bit of a distance off the beach. Perhaps they were not in the area closer to shore or were not present on a different day.

While the jellyfish were a bit intimidating they did not cause us any problems - no stings or rashes even though there were enough that I know I couldn't have avoided all of them. Here is a link to a more detailed description of our trip I posted on another thread:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28115874

Archived