If you had nothing planned, what did you do?

zeyedeco7

I'm only planning ahead one excursion with MazatlanFrank - Mazatlan massage and city tour.

My boyfriend and I want to go snorkeling and parasailing for sure. We are going to bring our own snorkeling gear and know there is parasailing in both PV and Cabo. We are a little worried about the water temps in March. I don't want to book an excursion and then have it be too cold. I would rather just book once I get there depending on the weather.

Have you been to either PV and Cabo with nothing but a guidebook? What did you end up doing?

I don't want to plan this into the ground and want some freedom to do whatever, but I don't want to miss out on something amazing at the same time.

I'm only planning ahead one excursion with MazatlanFrank - Mazatlan massage and city tour.

My boyfriend and I want to go snorkeling and parasailing for sure. We are going to bring our own snorkeling gear and know there is parasailing in both PV and Cabo. We are a little worried about the water temps in March. I don't want to book an excursion and then have it be too cold. I would rather just book once I get there depending on the weather.

Have you been to either PV and Cabo with nothing but a guidebook? What did you end up doing?

I don't want to plan this into the ground and want some freedom to do whatever, but I don't want to miss out on something amazing at the same time.

I own several timeshares in Mazatlan, and I hate to tell you, but taking the city tour is the LAST thing you want to do if you only have one day in Mazatlan. There is no need to take a cruise excursion at all. Just hop in one of the pulmonias (open air golf-cart like taxis only found in Mazatlan) that will be lined up outside the port, and ask them to take you to the beach in the Golden Zone. Have them let you off somewhere near the Hotel El Cid and walk through the hotel to the beach. Enjoy the pools, beach, parasailing, kayaking, banana boats, shopping, or a long walk on the most beautiful beach in Mazatlan. Have lunch at Panchos on the beach, and if you really want a massage, there are places up and down the street where you can get an hour for about $30. Save your snorkeling for Cabo where the water is much clearer, and if you like adventure, go ziplining in PV! My son and I did it last year and had a blast. We just walked off the ship and there were the same ziplining companies set up in booths that the ship excusion was using for half the price. As a matter of fact, in every port I've ever been in Mexico, you can do anything the ship offers for half the price by just walking off the ship. The ships try to scare you from using the local tour services on your own, but they use the exact same services.

I agree with the previous post concerning Mazatlan. In PV if you want to snorkel you can catch a water taxi to Yelapa and snorkel there. In Cabo it all depends on how long you are there. If it is a short port call you might want to book an excurison through the ship. If you are there till 5pm then wait till you get off the ship and book a snorkel trip to Chileno or Santa Maria. The water temp is in the high 70's to low 80's in PV and Maz, Cabo can be slightly cooler. Just check on line for current temps the closer you get to leaving.

First time we went to PV we just winged it. We got off the ship and walked about 100 feet to the "Hospitality" tent. There we got a 3 hour "City/Tequila" tour, included several photo op stops (conveniately located next to a souvenir stand) stopped at a tequila demonstration shop (free samples including a margarita), went up into the jungle to a creek side restaraunt, and back to the malecon for $25 pp. Not a hardcore thrilling experience but no regrets either. When they drop you of at the Malecon you can pay your guide and go your own way if you want. The beach is across the street where you should be able to find all the parasailing you want, then grab a taxi back to the port.

Sounds like you have Mazatlan scheduled. If you get back early enough it's only $2pp to go to Stone Island. (We'll be there in about 4 weeks. Always wanted to do the pulmonia so that's the plan this year).

In Cabo there will be LOTS of opportunity to get any kind of excursion once off the tender boat. The snorkling tours leave early so plan accordingly. Remember, never pay the asking price.

PS. We did Mazatlan Frank several years ago and had a good time. If you've never been to Mazatlan this is a great opportunity to see it.

I own several timeshares in Mazatlan, and I hate to tell you, but taking the city tour is the LAST thing you want to do if you only have one day in Mazatlan. There is no need to take a cruise excursion at all. Just hop in one of the pulmonias (open air golf-cart like taxis only found in Mazatlan) that will be lined up outside the port, and ask them to take you to the beach in the Golden Zone. Have them let you off somewhere near the Hotel El Cid and walk through the hotel to the beach. Enjoy the pools, beach, parasailing, kayaking, banana boats, shopping, or a long walk on the most beautiful beach in Mazatlan. Have lunch at Panchos on the beach, and if you really want a massage, there are places up and down the street where you can get an hour for about $30. Save your snorkeling for Cabo where the water is much clearer, and if you like adventure, go ziplining in PV! My son and I did it last year and had a blast. We just walked off the ship and there were the same ziplining companies set up in booths that the ship excusion was using for half the price. As a matter of fact, in every port I've ever been in Mexico, you can do anything the ship offers for half the price by just walking off the ship. The ships try to scare you from using the local tour services on your own, but they use the exact same services.

The only reason I decided to do the tour was because I didn't want the hassle of looking for a massage clinic on my own. This tour guide has an amazing array of super good reviews. I tried looking up getting a massage there on my own, but it seemed too much work/research. The other ports seem easier to book and explore on my own.

The only reason I decided to do the tour was because I didn't want the hassle of looking for a massage clinic on my own. This tour guide has an amazing array of super good reviews. I tried looking up getting a massage there on my own, but it seemed too much work/research. The other ports seem easier to book and explore on my own.

Almost every hotel in Mazatlan has massage including the El Cid, Pueblo Bonito, Inn at Mazatlan which are all in the Golden Zone. You could email them ahead of time for an appointment or just go to any of them advertised on the street (even cheaper and just as good). The town itself doesn't offer much, although the cathedral is pretty. The real attraction is the beach itself which would be a shame to miss! All the good shops are in the Golden Zone as well. And to the above poster, we use the El Cid pool all the time and they could care less who uses it. Just jump in the pool and go up to the swim up bar and order a margarita and you're in! I always hang out on the beach though...love the sand between my toes! Another beautiful beach and pool area is at the Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan (not the one at Emerald Bay...too far north) Stone Island is no different than the Golden Zone beaches....has the same parasailing, banana boats, horse back riding, etc., they just make you take a boat to get there. It's not really an island, but is on a peninsula on the other end of Mazatlan.

Moon Girl - we went to El Cid after stepping off the ship & getting conned into a timeshare presentation - After an hour presentation, we got free bracelets to use the resort (food & alcohol included) for the rest of the day. I hated wasting an hour on the presentation, but it ended up being our best day of the cruise. Technically though, I think you can do El CId three ways: the timeshare thing like we did, buy an all inclusive pass, or just go and pay for food & drink a la cart. While there, we saw the ship's singers & chatted with them - they did the all inclusive day pass - claimed it was the best deal on the port (maybe $30 pp?). Also saw another family we recognized from the kids club - they did the a la cart thing as they had a large group. Any way you choose it though: so much fun - great resort!

How far is it from the cruise pier to El Cid? How much did you pay for a pulmonia/taxi?

So, you can just walk in without checking in at the front desk and go right to the pool and just pay as you go? Just want to make sure I've got my facts straight before we go. Thanks!

Archived