Formal Night - Oasis - Sunday 1/16

minn0315

So last night was formal night and caaptain's pictures. Dress: By my wife and my count at early (6pm) dinner, there were 92% suit coat and tie; 1% Tuxedo; 6% suit coat and open collar shirt; 1% just a shirt, no tie. These counts also included young adolescent boys. In taking with people seated with strangers at tables of ten or twelve, the occassional oddball in just the shirt was not looked on favorably. If it's formal night, be kind to your fellow tablemates and dress the part or eat elsewhere was the word. Women, were 98% dresses ans 2% pant suits.

Menu: First off, this was the first formal and the captain's dinner. Remeber this ship has specialty restaurants for upcharges...so...no lobster on menu for this night or for second formal night coming on Thursday. No filet mignon either. (Of course you can have it in the MDR for an upcharge of $14.95). The meal for us was forgetable. We may not dine in MDR again on this trip. You can view the entire week's menu from your stateroom TV. On the frirst night there were five entree items, 4 of which were vegetarian; good for those folks, not so much for the meat and potatoe people.

Had room service this morning. After all the negative comments on CC about them being late, we thought we would put down the time for delivery as 6:00 to 6:30 am. We'll the phone rings exactly at six and there they are at the door. Ordered tea; got two cups and sugar, but no tea. Other items were not warm. No extra tip.

Seas are a bit rougher today, with rolling side to side, more thant pitching for and aft.

Going to see the last performance of Hairspray this afternoon.

We disembarked from the Oasis on Saturday. I found that most passengers adhered to the dress code so that wasn't my problem with the MDR. We signed up for My Time Dining at 7:15. We had four meals in the MDR. For most of those meals we were seated promptly. The lines seem to form after 8 pm. The seating however was the only "prompt" thing about dining there. Service was very slow. Not that our servers weren't hustling and hurrying but they seemed to have too many tables at different stages of dining and so we waited between each course. As typical of a big ship, I found the same on the Voyager and Explorer, the hot food was warm, the cold food was warm. While I enjoyed the Oasis experience overall, we have sailed on our last mega ship. We had a great time but the experience left me longing for the Galaxy of the Seas, older and smaller. We had some wind on our cruise as well with 18 ft swells. Unfortunately the ship is so big that they could hardly be felt. I like feeling as though I am really at sea, at least for a few hours.

We also disembarked on Sat. "18 foot swells"!!! Now I know why we were rocking and rolling so much. I was surprised that a ship that size rolled so much. Earlier in the week one could hardly feel that the ship was moving. The wind changed all that.

To an earlier poster--we did have lobster the 2nd formal night and sliced filet (so tender!) earlier in the week. My family of six had a table to ourselves on the bottom tier of MDR and service was quite speedy. I think adding others to the table who may not arrive punctually or order multiple starters (no one is served entrees until all are finished with starters) slows things up.

Wonderful cruise and am looking forward (hopefully) to sailing again on the Oasis (or Allure).

So last night was formal night and caaptain's pictures. Dress: By my wife and my count at early (6pm) dinner, there were 92% suit coat and tie; 1% Tuxedo; 6% suit coat and open collar shirt; 1% just a shirt, no tie. These counts also included young adolescent boys. In taking with people seated with strangers at tables of ten or twelve, the occassional oddball in just the shirt was not looked on favorably. If it's formal night, be kind to your fellow tablemates and dress the part or eat elsewhere was the word. Women, were 98% dresses ans 2% pant suits.

Menu: First off, this was the first formal and the captain's dinner. Remeber this ship has specialty restaurants for upcharges...so...no lobster on menu for this night or for second formal night coming on Thursday. No filet mignon either. (Of course you can have it in the MDR for an upcharge of $14.95). The meal for us was forgetable. We may not dine in MDR again on this trip. You can view the entire week's menu from your stateroom TV. On the frirst night there were five entree items, 4 of which were vegetarian; good for those folks, not so much for the meat and potatoe people.

Had room service this morning. After all the negative comments on CC about them being late, we thought we would put down the time for delivery as 6:00 to 6:30 am. We'll the phone rings exactly at six and there they are at the door. Ordered tea; got two cups and sugar, but no tea. Other items were not warm. No extra tip.

Seas are a bit rougher today, with rolling side to side, more thant pitching for and aft.

Going to see the last performance of Hairspray this afternoon.

Do you mind if I ask you a few questions ??? Is Richard Spacey back? Which night is Quest?? Which night is Love and Marriage show??

thanks so much!

Archived