What excursions to do?

berniem22

Going on the PG on May 14 and wondering which excursions to do and how to do them. ie from the ship or plan your own. I've been on several cruises to know that the locals are plentiflul when you get to port. We are in our early 40's and healthy. We don't scuba although we are talking about getting certified on the ship.

We enjoy snorkelling but don't plan to do it everywhere we go. Where would the best place be for that? I also notice that every island has a 4x4 tour. Which would be best?

The ports are Papeete, Raiatea, Taha'a,Bora Bora & Moorea.

We are doing a 2 night post cruise in Bora Bora so we might save something for then.

Any help would be appreciated.

The PG-organized excursions are well-organized and mean that you have nothing to worry about. They also don't cost alot more than similar ones that you arrange yourself. Maybe a few bucks, but Radisson doesn't really treat these as a cost-centre, I am told (I have always used the ship's excursions, and intend to do it again in May--I'm getting on the ship when you get off.)

You can definitely suss out Bora Bora on the ship, and leave something for your post-, but then there is lots to choose from: The 4x4 trip is great, the shark and ray feeding is terrificl, people who have done it say that the waverunner trip is fabulous. You also get the two motu-afternoons on the ship in BB, so you might want to save another snorkelling adventure for the post-cruise.

As for the other islands, they have added new excursions that I know nothing about. But some of my favourites are: the land and water tour in Raiatea, the 4x4 and the dolphin watching on Mooorea. On Moorea, just make sure you get up to the Belvedere on some excursion, for the spectacular view.

I have heard that the helicopter ride in BB is pretty spectacular, but if you are flying in during the day to BB, you might get something similar for free.

We had a blast on the dolphin watch tour in Moorea. It's a fun tour around the island, and you get to learn a little about the marine ecosystem as well. On Moorea we also really enjoyed the 4x4 tour. It does stop at the rum factory, so not as fun if you're PG, but the tour is a nice way to see the island and to have some fresh pineapple straight from the plantation. :)

Our favorite activtity on Bora Bora was the shark and ray feeding. Bora Bora's got such a beautiful lagoon, I wanted to spend as much time in it as possible.

Hi Nancy! We were actually on a land vacation in Moorea at the time, and we called Dr. Poole directly to book the excursion. I'm not sure how he schedules cruise ship pickups, but he met us and a few others at the Blue Pineapple (the restaurant at the Club Bali Hai) in Cook's Bay and then we went to a few of the other hotels (by boat) for pickup. My guess is he could help you make the arrangements for pickup. We found his contact info in Jan Prince's Tahiti Travel Guide. You might be able to find his info by googling "dolphin watch tour Dr. Poole" :)

Archived