What's going on in Belize?

jack278

If there are a few threads on the subject you might be beter off asking your question on those threads, rather than starting a new one. If no one has elaborated the chances are no one knows for sure at this time. Extra security can only be a good thing unless you ( generally not personally ) are one of those with something to hide.

Seems there are quite a few threads regarding customs monitoring passengers coming back from Belize with extra scrutiny, but no one cared to elaborate. Thanks!

Customs as in air travel or ship?

I have never heard of any issues on the ship. We sailed the valor in aug to Belize. We unloaded a lot of stuff to send home while in Belize, so we re boarded with nothing. I did not notice any one being extra scrutinized by security.

Back in Mia everything seemed normal as well.

Fly into Belize and you will get "strip searched" if you live here.:eek:

Customs as in air travel or ship?

I have never heard of any issues on the ship. We sailed the valor in aug to Belize. We unloaded a lot of stuff to send home while in Belize, so we re boarded with nothing. I did not notice any one being extra scrutinized by security.

Back in Mia everything seemed normal as well.

Fly into Belize and you will get "strip searched" if you live here.:eek:

I've seen quite a few posts like this, was just wondering what's going on with Belize.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=27380208&postcount=4

I've seen quite a few posts like this, was just wondering what's going on with Belize.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=27380208&postcount=4

Jack,

Based on the linked thread, seems like the poster was speculating that the reason there wer long waits from a Western C crusie was due to stops in Belize. Offered no proof that was a reason for long waits to debark due to customs or that US Customs was particularly eyeing purchases made in Belize. Other ports were visited besides Belize on Western C cruises. And there are numberous items the US Customs may be looking for. Maybe you have a better example.

I have seen Western C passengers stopped at Customs because of wood and other vegetated/ minieral souvenirs they were carrying off that had to be closely inspected for bugs. But not seeing the purchases being made I have no idea which port these folks got some of the things they were trying to bring back. You will also get pulled aside if you try to bring too much alcohol back, on a pp basis. But this is all individual and has nothing to do with stops in Belize.

Jack,

Offered no proof that was a reason for long waits to debark due to customs or that US Customs was particularly eyeing purchases made in Belize.

Exactly! That's what's frustrating, I see these claims and no one bothers to back it up with a solid reason even when I ask in the same post, haha.

Thanks for your info though!

• 2 weeks later...

It may be that customs has read these boards and is looking for the meds that people are buying in Belize. The last cruise we were on when we got off, they specifically ask us if we had bought any medicines. Luckily I had not. Nearly everytime before I had. I was glad I didn't that time.

I have been reading that Belize has become a distribution point for drugs. They fly into the interior of the country from drug producing nations, No military neccessarily to worry about. Then redistribute from there. I would imagine that would include a concern for all the western Carrib.

Archived