Random thoughts about my 1/5-15 Sapphire Cruise

Pam in CA

Wizard - of - Roz, I didn't think anything about it, until you mention that Brenda, was Brenda III. I have twin b-i-l's. When they were growing up in California, we would visit them and family from Missouri once a year. When we got out there, they introduced me to "Brenda" their dog. I ask them if they named the dog after me, and they said no, she came with that name. Until I read where you mentioned the name of Brenda, I didn't know of any other dog with that name other than my b-i-l's years ago.

OMG! You've brought tears to my eyes. No, we don't get to name our Service Dogs that's done by the organization and for various reasons. To know that you actually saw the other Brenda is amazing to me. Wow!!!!! If you know more about her please feel free to share the information.

And, you can get warm, melty, chocolate chip cookies on deck 5 at atrium bar. They're free and yummy!!!!!

Someone mentioned the lighthouse. I LOVE lighthouses. Where was this one located?

On a spit of land a couple of miles south of the cruise terminal. You can take a taxi or bus to the base of the hill it's on, but from there it's a rather steep, long hike up to the top. The lighthouse isn't much to look at, but the views are.

Pam, I felt exactly the same way as you on our December Sapphire cruise. The ship was BEAUTIFUL and the staff I thought was extremely helpful and friendly and chatty and smily. :D

However, I thought the MDR food was TERRIBLE. I love fish and I don't know how Sapphire managed to ruin every single piece of fish I had. First it was overcooked, then it was underdone, then it was a bad piece with that yucky dark bottom all over it, then the sauce was too salty, etc.

This went on night after night. I never actually had a good meal (I almost always chose the fish since I don't eat red meat and I can eat all the chicken I want at home). The room service food was 10x worse. Soggy, cold sandwitches and greasy food. Blech. I really, really hope that PRincess reads our comments about the quality of the food because I have 3-4 cruises coming up on her. :(

One thing that was nice is that as a suite guest, we could order from the MDR menu to our room. Believe it or not, sometimes the food ordered to our room was better prepared than the food being served in the MDR.

I thought the buffet was pretty good. Not fantastic but not bad either. Lots of choices so I always found things I enjoyed.

As for the CD, why does Princess put up with an invisible one???? He should not be on the payroll...

Sigh.

Katherine

Maybe the balloons are one of those things decided by each ship. I saw plenty of the Golden last month. BTW, many people mentioned not seeing our CD (a temp one while David Cole was on vacation) at all. On the last night, I saw him in the Piazza trying to "dance" until he could sneak out.

We're not foodies, but it didn't seem to be the best cruise for food (not complaining because we loved the cruise, except for our teen who thought the activities in the teen club were lame -- but then every teen thinks anything adults plan for them is lame). It was our first time (and hopefully last) doing anytime dining. Longest wait was 20 minutes, but it just wasn't the same experience as traditional (hubby thought so too).

We also had the scooter crowd and that was for a cruise when lots of kids would normally be on board. Even heard some in that age group complain how rude some of the elder crowd was.

Try checking out for cookies mid-afternoon in the Horizon Court. Once the International Cafe is installed in the Sapphire, you'll be able to find them there.

Re: Ensenada, would have to guess that 90 per cent of our passengers stayed onboard and treated it as a non-moving sea day. Not kidding.

Archived