Our Victory Vacation 1/9/10 - 1/16/10: It rocked! (Literally and figuratively)

ricew001

Day 2 St Thomas – Evening

We went to the comedy show at 7:30. Featured drinks were $1 off and this show was in the Adriatic Lounge. This person was not funny (it was either Jackson Perdue or Roman). Much of his humor was centered on farts, so the young boy at the table giggled the whole time.

After the comedy show we went to our anytime dining which was in the Atlantic Dining room. That was a great decision because through the week we ate at very different times, just depending on our schedule. Every time we requested the same wait staff: Nadia and Rodel. They were so wonderful, remembering our names and our preferences. I danced in the Conga line with Rodel one night and Nadia joked with my husband that she didn’t want to give him sharp objects. The hostesses were beautiful ladies who remembered us by name and called us “nice people.” On this the second night, the dining room staff put on the show of singing Hey Baby. It was a lot of fun and DH got an incredible video of it that I hope to post. As someone mentioned, get your cameras when the lights start flickering because that’s the cue that entertainment is coming!

DH and I both had the potato soup as a starter. Absolutely delicious!! I had the turkey with bow tie pasta for my entrée – it was just ok, not nearly as good as Macaroni Grill. But for desert I had the bitter and blanc. That was scrumptious.

We dressed up more Monday since we had all our clothes and I was pleased with our picture in front of the elevators. The lobby was beautiful! And our room was convenient to it – of course it took us most of the week to figure that out!

We left there and went to the karaoke contest in the Black and Red lounge. It was a lot of Latino music that night, but they just gave us the chance to see something that we don’t get at home. From there we went back to the Piano Bar, which was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the smoke got to me and we had to leave. If there was one thing I could change about the cruise is I would not allow smoking in the music venues, but I know people who chose to smoke appreciate the opportunity. But for those of us with respiratory problems it’s a big deal. Luckily that was the only night though that the smoke bothered me.

I haven’t mentioned our room steward yet – Jason. He was like a magical elf. Never once did we have to ask for clean linens and every night we came back to turn down service, with chocolates and cute towel animals – tonight it was an elephant. He also did a great job keeping us in ice. I tipped him mid week and then again on our last day. One night I found another person in the hall way to get us ice and I gave him a dollar tip for it. Jason was always friendly and happy. Our room stayed spotless! Tomorrow – our day at sea adventures!

2ndformal.jpg.a787a5ae23df5c1349a7231cdfca8480.jpg

elephant.jpg.8cc5a5b63963be931be602b26f466d54.jpg

1380832574_blackred.jpg.3e5e9ee3c50a9b569b640968fc300d86.jpg

elevators.jpg.308b82cf7b18700d87eb56784139d7f3.jpg

lobby.jpg.25b047da09959b247deee1bf30b99d05.jpg

I will finish my review as the week goes on. Believe it or not, my first day in Graduate school was supposed to be last Monday! But since I was on the cruise I have some catching up today...and let's not even think about how many work emails await when I go back tomorrow.

But I wanted to offer just a few tips. First, BRING your own hair dryer and leave in conditioner. DH said he could have blown on my hair for the same effect as our hair dryer. It really was truly useless. And I didn't bring leave in conditioner which I should have.

Get your drinks at CVS. Have plenty of $1 bills. PACK LIGHT!!! Bring a back pack. Put your flip flops in your carry on to have them ready when you get there.

Bring your battery charger or new batteries for your camera and an extra memory card. Bring hand sanitizer. READ your Fun Times.

Eat breakfast in the dining room. Order room service!

Smile and everyone else will smile with you!

Try something you've never done before - whether it's sing karaoke or drink rum punch at 9 a.m. As Nike says, JUST DO IT!

Loving your review so far! What a fabulous trip you seem to have had - and I'm very glad to see that as I am boarding the Victory in September!!! I was thinking of booking a second cruise ahead of this one, but have decided instead to just spend a couple days decompressing and napping by a nice pool in San Juan - leaving me more money to spend on board Victory (and onshore).

Keep the review coming - and welcome back to reality!

Day 2 St Thomas – Evening

We went to the comedy show at 7:30. Featured drinks were $1 off and this show was in the Adriatic Lounge. This person was not funny (it was either Jackson Perdue or Roman). Much of his humor was centered on farts, so the young boy at the table giggled the whole time.

After the comedy show we went to our anytime dining which was in the Atlantic Dining room. That was a great decision because through the week we ate at very different times, just depending on our schedule. Every time we requested the same wait staff: Nadia and Rodel. They were so wonderful, remembering our names and our preferences. I danced in the Conga line with Rodel one night and Nadia joked with my husband that she didn’t want to give him sharp objects. The hostesses were beautiful ladies who remembered us by name and called us “nice people.” On this the second night, the dining room staff put on the show of singing Hey Baby. It was a lot of fun and DH got an incredible video of it that I hope to post. As someone mentioned, get your cameras when the lights start flickering because that’s the cue that entertainment is coming!

DH and I both had the potato soup as a starter. Absolutely delicious!! I had the turkey with bow tie pasta for my entrée – it was just ok, not nearly as good as Macaroni Grill. But for desert I had the bitter and blanc. That was scrumptious.

We dressed up more Monday since we had all our clothes and I was pleased with our picture in front of the elevators. The lobby was beautiful! And our room was convenient to it – of course it took us most of the week to figure that out!

We left there and went to the karaoke contest in the Black and Red lounge. It was a lot of Latino music that night, but they just gave us the chance to see something that we don’t get at home. From there we went back to the Piano Bar, which was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the smoke got to me and we had to leave. If there was one thing I could change about the cruise is I would not allow smoking in the music venues, but I know people who chose to smoke appreciate the opportunity. But for those of us with respiratory problems it’s a big deal. Luckily that was the only night though that the smoke bothered me.

I haven’t mentioned our room steward yet – Jason. He was like a magical elf. Never once did we have to ask for clean linens and every night we came back to turn down service, with chocolates and cute towel animals – tonight it was an elephant. He also did a great job keeping us in ice. I tipped him mid week and then again on our last day. One night I found another person in the hall way to get us ice and I gave him a dollar tip for it. Jason was always friendly and happy. Our room stayed spotless! Tomorrow – our day at sea adventures!

My husband and I were just on this cruise last month and had Nadia and Rodel as our servers. We loved them so much the 1st night we requested them all week. Love reading your review brings so many great memories back

Thank you for this lovely review so far, your positive attitude is nice. So many of these Victory reviews are just filled with what people hated about their cruise, it doesn't leave me feeling very optimistic.

18 more days and I'll experience it for myself!!:D

Thanks for your great review - keep it coming!! :) We are joining this cruise on 9 March after a week in Barbados. (6 weeks tomorrow!!! yippee!) Its our 1st ever cruise and your hints and tips are really helpful. We are from the freezing Far North of Scotland so really looking forward so some sun! Can't wait for your next post!

Ann

Thank you for this lovely review so far, your positive attitude is nice. So many of these Victory reviews are just filled with what people hated about their cruise, it doesn't leave me feeling very optimistic.

18 more days and I'll experience it for myself!!:D

I dont know how its possible to hate a cruise that goes to all those beautiful islands! I think those people might just take themselves too seriously ;)

Awsome review! :D Loving every minute of it! Not only are you writing about what is fast becoming my favorite ship and port (as you can see from my sig), and bringing back all of MY memories, but you are giving so many details!! Many people don't understand how much fun and helpful this is, even to those who have done it before!

I'm psyched to see what YOU list in tips, since we'll be back on Victory in March. Always something else to learn. Keep it coming!

Keep up the good work taking notes for we have only 361 days for our cruise:eek:. Wife's birthday gift which she does not know about yet:D

Paul

Great Gift Paul, I hope you both have a wonderful time.

I will be on the Victory in May from the 8th-15th, it was my birthday gift to myself as well!!

This is a great review... I love reviews about the Victory it brings back memories.... We have been in San Juan the last two years at this time for cruises and really having withdrawal from it. I loved the victory and the entire cruise itinerary. Please keep it coming when you have time. :D

im loving your review. we are going on the victory for the second time Feb 20th cant wait. we will be VIP'S , so excited. I love cruising and we enjoy every minute of it . Cant wait to sit on my balcony with my drink of the day and looking out at the ocean doesnt get any better than that. 3rd snow day in a week and another storm coming friday yuck!!!!!

im loving your review. we are going on the victory for the second time Feb 20th cant wait. we will be VIP'S , so excited. I love cruising and we enjoy every minute of it . Cant wait to sit on my balcony with my drink of the day and looking out at the ocean doesnt get any better than that. 3rd snow day in a week and another storm coming friday yuck!!!!!

Wow - I thought I had written this post at first. We are leaving on the Victory Feb 20th and it is our first VIP cruise too! So done with the snow already!! I love this positive review. :)

Hey Chicky! It's Michelle! Your blue devil bud!!!

I'm enjoying the review! I have one month to go for our trip! Glad you had some warm weather. I am hoping for warm weather, but 80's is warm enough for me!

I've always love these kind of indepth reviews and I've promised myself I'm taking my laptop and doing a daily review each night before I go to bed or in my down time!

I know you're already planning the next one! I've already been planning our next one and haven't went on this one yet! See ya soon!

I absolutely enjoy reviews such as yours and you have me so amped! We leave for this itinerary 5/1 - 5/8 and are very excited! Glad you and DH had a blast! We intend on doing so as well! Thank you for the review :)

You'll be getting off as I'm getting on. Maybe we can waive to eachother...LOL

Hi Dj. Shipwreck Tavern is in walking distance of the ship at St. Thomas. You'll see it as you visit the little shops there. The drinks weren't that expensive and they were served in plastic tumblers that we should have kept. It has the giant shark outside that you can take a picture with. The inside is beautiful but when you are in the islands, spend every single second you can outside! We sat on the porch and enjoyed it!

Thanks everyone for your nice comments! You've got me motivated to some how do my school work and at least write the review for the Day at Sea tonight.

Regarding some of your posts: yes I agree that too many people had negative comments on this ship and itin and I just can't understand it. So I am doing my best to give it the accolades it deserves - as I told Karl with a K on Sunday! And I'll tell you more about that as I progress thru the week.

Blue Devil Bud - don't burden yourself with your laptop. Take a note pad and make quick notes right before you go to bed or while DH showers and while you wait at the airport. That's how I used my time because I was determined to enjoy every single second...and I did!!!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - Day at Sea

At 8:44 a.m. I was awaken by what I thought was a drill. We mistakenly thought this for several days until we realized it was the vacuum cleaners the housekeeping staff was using!

The night before I had hung our continental room service menu request on our door. Our breakfast arrived about 9 a.m. so we ate our cereal and fruit and went back to bed! We slept until 1:15 pm! But we needed it given we had been up so long Sunday night and got up early Monday too.

We put on our bathing suits thinking we’d spend the time on the decks and by the pools. We went and had lunch on the Lido deck. Again, not a fan of buffets but really how much complaining can you do when someone else is cooking it for you and cleaning up after you? I have a phobia of touching the utensils others use so I was happy to see all the hand sanitizing stations near the buffet. We ate quickly because we knew we wanted to make it to the Marriage Show. (Be sure to check “Today’s Top Ten” in your Fun Times. It will showcase various events happening on the ship and you can choose what appeals to you. The Marriage Show was #2 in the Top Ten today.)

We attended a similar show on our Princess cruise on our 10th anniversary and are big fans of long-time married couples. We’ve been married 18 years and my parents will celebrate 49 years this year and DH’s parents have been married over 52 years.

The couples they chose from the audience were who had been married the least amount of time which was the newlyweds who had been married the day before on St Thomas. Then they asked for who had been married the longest – that was a couple with 46 years of marriage. And then the middle couple who had been married 23 years. Karl with a K – the cruise director who someone “dissed” on this board but I found hard working, fun loving, and energetic – facilitated this show. It was hysterical! One of the questions was "is your husband a macho man in bed, out of bed, or in his head". Karl couldn't say macho with his British accent and that was funny! The newlyweds seemed to know each other better and the couple married 46 years seemed to miss most of the questions! We kept asking had they even ever met?? She couldn’t even remember the year they met! But we had plenty of laughs. In the end, somehow the longest married couple won!

Now speaking of my theme of “rocking” – my DH is a musician and we both are big music fans so we couldn’t wait to get to the music trivia game. We stopped at the Caspian Wine Bar where our fantastic bartender from Thailand named Pat made me the martini of the day – a Cosmo made with LemonCello! DH got his usual of Crown and Coke. See my awesome photo below that I took of my martini with Pat in the background pouring DH's drink.

We went into the Coral Seas Café right beside the bar and joined the Music Trivia game led by Michelle - a Carnival employee who did so many things on the ship and was a lot of fun. We were feeling pretty confident as we watched others struggle with what we thought were easy questions. Then Michelle started giving the answers and we lost the very first one (although the correct answer had been my first choice for an answer!) But as we progressed DH had the most correct answers, and I had the second most! I am proud to say that on his very first Carnival Cruise my DH won the Ship on a Stick!!! He proceeded to show off his trophy and go up to people the whole time on the ship and say “Hey, I won a trophy!” He posted the picture on Facebook of him accepting it from Michelle with a caption that said “I'd like to thank my wife, mom and dad, Mr. Spielberg, my agent, the Academy...” Smart man thanks his wife first!

So we decided to celebrate his big win by going back to the Caspian Wine Bar! We ordered a few more rounds and folks came by and we all chatted with each other and just enjoyed meeting new people. We chatted with Pat a little about what it was like to work on the ship which was really interesting.

There was a photo session near the bar and the next thing we knew was that people were lining up in their formal wear to get their photos taken for Elegant night! We were still in our bathing suits and…nobody who knows me would ever believe this, but I was sitting there without a stitch of make up on! We felt like rebels sitting there! LOL! So we finally tore ourselves away from the great drinks and conversations and headed to our room to get ready for Elegant Evening. We were enjoying ourselves so much that it was hard to leave.

Next post: Elegant Evening

255244197_patcosmo.jpg.0ead47dd46e8a3f9ed7dd48cf7669703.jpg

trophy.jpg.f6ee1f2fb4e9d7489a5fba5733d82ac4.jpg

shiponastick.jpg.e85ce6ce0cd00954a4be07236f1b325e.jpg

Archived