Our Victory Vacation 1/9/10 - 1/16/10: It rocked! (Literally and figuratively)

ricew001

Part II St Kitts

The view from the train was incredible. The digital camera’s batteries held up long enough to get some great shots that I will post. I highly recommend this excursion because you get to see so much. The school kids came out and waved at us, They do have some cute kids... these ones were in the port shopping area on a field trip to see the "big ships" and probably the wierd tourists. LOL :D

When we left the train excursion, we did a little shopping right outside the ship. Not long after starting our shopping, a guy appeared with a monkey. I read enough reviews to know that he would be asking for money after the photo. I think that’s the part that got me. If he’d ask for money up front, that would be fine, but it’s after you do it when he hounds you for money. This same guy had two monkeys he was working when we were there last time. He lost the baby that was on a leash (rope) My wife caught it for him twice... the second time he did not come and get it for about 10 minutes.... then he had the audacity to want money from us because other people were taking pictures of the monkey. :eek:

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

By the way really enjoying your review. I know how long they take to do. Especially when you are not feeling good. I hope you are better now. Keep up the good work, anxiuos to read more. Thanks

Our Victory Vacation: It rocked! (Literally and figuratively)

We returned home to North Carolina last night (1/16/10) from out Southern Caribbean cruise and I can sum up our cruise on the Victory in two words: ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!

I am going to review the entire trip as I kept detailed notes in order to share with everyone here on cruise critic. I received so much helpful information from this site that I would like to hopefully provide some helpful information in return.

I must say we had an absolute perfect experience, which after reading some reviews, I was not expecting! We stepped on that ship with big smiles on our faces and our Southern nature in tow and had nothing but a wonderful time.

I chose the title of “It Rocked!” because it fits perfect. Yes there was much movement (rocking) on the ship but with my patch in place, I am beyond happy to report I had absolutely no problems. This from a girl with serious motion sickness issues! My husband is a musician so you will see references to “rock” in the music sense.

So I am composing this review in segments. This is my introduction and the rest will follow. But to get you ready, here is a photo of the Carnival Victory in port at sunny San Juan, PR on Sunday, January 9!

Great review, thank you! I am actually taking this same trip on the Victory in May (my honeymoon) and I am wondering 2 things:

You said you arrived around 220pm and got on the ship by 430 - does it really only take 2 hours from the San Juan Airport? I've never been to San Juan and I have a same day flight as well, but we dont arrive until 5ish which is cutting it really close!!

Also you mention that you did coin operated laundry - do they still have self serve washer/dryers on board? I thought they did away with them! This is great news if they still have it.

Thank you for all the info!

Jen

You said you arrived around 220pm and got on the ship by 430 - does it really only take 2 hours from the San Juan Airport? I've never been to San Juan and I have a same day flight as well, but we dont arrive until 5ish which is cutting it really close!!

Also you mention that you did coin operated laundry - do they still have self serve washer/dryers on board? I thought they did away with them! This is great news if they still have it.

Jen

We were on the same cruise (haven't had time to post my review but I will!). The airport isn't too far from the pier. It probably took us no more than 30 minutes of actual drive time in the cab. The luggage was a little slow to get to the baggage carousel. You have to be on board Victory by 9:30p, so you have plenty of time.

Yes, Victory still has coin-operated laundry rooms.

Great review, thank you! I am actually taking this same trip on the Victory in May (my honeymoon) and I am wondering 2 things:

Jen

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!! Hope your honeymoon is incredible. You should play the Marriage Show onboard on sea day!!

I think our secret was our arrival time at 2:20 pm. I've read some posts on here that made it sound like an absolute nightmare and I wonder if those people all got there as soon as they can board (11 a.m. I think??) I think you'll be fine.

What are you using for your transfer? We took the Carnival transfer and they were efficient. Our luggage did take a little while to get to our room but that's ok, we were on the ship!! It would have been better if I had kept the carry on I packed, but I was tired of luggage and loaded it with the rest. So I was in a camisole, jeans, and flip flops for a while.

We were very close to the washer/dryers. $3 in quarters for washer, $3 for dryer, $1 for detergent. I forgot to push the START button on the dryer!! That story is next in my chronicles...LOL!

I am going to do a list of some tips when I'm done so keep an eye out for that. Again, congratulations!!

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!! Hope your honeymoon is incredible. You should play the Marriage Show onboard on sea day!!

I think our secret was our arrival time at 2:20 pm. I've read some posts on here that made it sound like an absolute nightmare and I wonder if those people all got there as soon as they can board (11 a.m. I think??) I think you'll be fine.

What are you using for your transfer? We took the Carnival transfer and they were efficient. Our luggage did take a little while to get to our room but that's ok, we were on the ship!! It would have been better if I had kept the carry on I packed, but I was tired of luggage and loaded it with the rest. So I was in a camisole, jeans, and flip flops for a while.

We were very close to the washer/dryers. $3 in quarters for washer, $3 for dryer, $1 for detergent. I forgot to push the START button on the dryer!! That story is next in my chronicles...LOL!

I am going to do a list of some tips when I'm done so keep an eye out for that. Again, congratulations!!

Thank you!

We don't have a transfer set up yet - I was thinking we could just take a taxi? Or do you recommend we set up the transfer through Carnival?? The last cruise I went on - I set up a transfer in advance from Ft Lauderdale to Miami and they never showed up! It was very easy to grab a taxi outside - so that's why I was thinking I could do this in San Juan?

I could've gotten there a little earlier than 5pm, but I am coming from New York and I would've had to get on a 7am flight after my wedding day - no thanks! I think if we arrive by 5pm and even if we allowed a couple of hours to get on the ship we still have plenty of time. Are there any surprises at SJU - like customs? As I say I've never been there before so I'm not sure what to expect. I heard its a little run down looking (I picture it will be like LaGuardia, haha)...but as long as we can get out of there quickly we should be fine!

I'll have to go through your reviews again to see what you said about excursions - I'm not sure what to book just yet! I haven't found a good independent tour operator for the Southern islands - I've used Island Marketing a few times but they do mostly Western and some Eastern, very little in the Southern region.

Thanks again for all the info!

Jen

Thank you!

We don't have a transfer set up yet - I was thinking we could just take a taxi? Or do you recommend we set up the transfer through Carnival?? The last cruise I went on - I set up a transfer in advance from Ft Lauderdale to Miami and they never showed up! It was very easy to grab a taxi outside - so that's why I was thinking I could do this in San Juan?

I could've gotten there a little earlier than 5pm, but I am coming from New York and I would've had to get on a 7am flight after my wedding day - no thanks! I think if we arrive by 5pm and even if we allowed a couple of hours to get on the ship we still have plenty of time. Are there any surprises at SJU - like customs? As I say I've never been there before so I'm not sure what to expect. I heard its a little run down looking (I picture it will be like LaGuardia, haha)...but as long as we can get out of there quickly we should be fine!

I'll have to go through your reviews again to see what you said about excursions - I'm not sure what to book just yet! I haven't found a good independent tour operator for the Southern islands - I've used Island Marketing a few times but they do mostly Western and some Eastern, very little in the Southern region.

Jen

That time of day you should be able to get your luggage and get right into a cab (they are very organized with cabs outside the doors by the luggage) and get whisked to the pier where you will be on in minutes of your arrival. The long lines are early in the day. If you are still having trouble findiing independent tour operators.... go to the POC boards and there will be plenty of ideas there for each island. Congratulations on your Marriage and good luck. Enjoy your cruises.:D

P.S. The San Juan airport does have kind of a surprise.... but it is on the way out.... you will have to get your luggage inspected at the USDA inspection first before you even go inside and check in for your flights. So just make sure you don't rush in and go to the counter first. Just follow the signs and you will be great.

Thank you!

Jen

Hi Jen. We did a transfer to the ship through Carnival and caught a taxi on the way back to the airport. I much prefered Carnival - I felt safer with Carnival and I was able to pay online with my credit card. For the taxi, they changed the price on us 4 times - and we had to pay cash. After 7 days in the islands our cash was low!! They also put us on one taxi and then moved us to another. The other thing I liked about the shuttle was that we were with other Carnival cruisers so we had some shared excitement and got to meet people we'd be sending the rest of the week.

At the airport, our luggage took a little while but it wasn't too terribly long. We didn't explore the airport greatly but I didn't consider it "run down."

The 3 things I loved excursion wise: rum distillery tour in Barbados (great tour guides and the rum is sooooo good!), St Kitts train (scenery is beautiful), and the day pass at the St Lucia resort (the Rendezvous). I would go back just to do those things again.

We enjoyed the Hard Rock cafe too in St Marteen. We are music people and it was cool to eat outside and look at the beautiful scenery.

None of these things were super expensive either. We are already planning our next trip!!

I wish I had gotten a Frommer's or similar travel guide before my trip. You still have time for that!

It's gonna be awesome!:D

This story has a few details…and you may think some of it is boring because it is laundry related. Stick with me….

When we got back to the ship, I went to lay out on the Serenity Deck (that I loved) while DH stayed in the cabin and practiced singing “My Way” that he would be doing in the Legends show. At that point we had been together 24/7 since the Saturday night before we left NC. I came back and could hear him singing out in the hall! We decided to do some laundry. Actually we *HAD* to do laundry – DH was out of socks and I was out of underwear. (I know, TMI.) I believe this night was the “Past Guests” celebration and I had to go by myself. DH will get to go with me to the next one though! And there will be a next one!

But here’s my laundry story – I put a load in wash and then took my shower. When I got out of the shower I put my stylish Carnival robe on and went and put the clothes in the dryer.

I came back and did my hair and makeup while I *thought* my clothes were drying. Every night my makeup was a challenge because the patch made my pupils HUGE – so everything was blurry. Given I had a spray tan and had gotten color on the ship I had given up on my pale foundation so I pretty much only wore eye makeup and lipstick. It was a challenge to see my eyes to do my makeup – very funny. DH should have videotaped it. And I am one of those people that will hardly go to the mailbox without makeup (but I think I mentioned on sea day I sat at the bar with no makeup. You may do some crazy things on the ship!!)

When I walked down to get the clothes out of the dryer I discovered they were all wet!! Oh no! I needed those nude underwear for my white pants I was wearing to dinner!!! I realized I hadn’t pressed the start button. I looked for something to get the dryer started and didn’t see it (again the patch’s effect on my eyes!) I assumed just pushing in the quarters made the dryer start. Well you know what happens when you assume….

So I had to make a wardrobe change. Given the only clean underwear I had would never work under my white pants (do you want to know why? They were hot pink and said Margaritaville on the back!!). I put on my black linen capris – over my hot pink underwear - and we went to dinner while the clothes dried.

At dinner we had the filet and prime rib and it was awesome. Potatoes…not so much. I had some sort of almond cake with raspberry something and it was incredibly rich and delicious!!

After dinner we decided to go back to the room so we could get the clothes out the dryer. We brought them back to the room. (There were many Spanish-speaking ladies in the laundry room every time I went. They were often ironing their clothes. Wow…this is vacation! I don’t even iron at home..that’s why we have dry cleaners!!)

When I bent over to get my shoes out, I heard a rip. Yep those black linen capris completely split! Warning – that may happen after you eat and drink too much over the 7 days on the ship!! It was even funnier though because that had happened at home right after New Year’s. I ripped my favorite black Ann Taylor pants when I bent over. I either have to go on a diet or stop bending over….

So I change clothes and have my white pants and dry underwear now (that don’t carry any Jimmy Buffet song titles on them). We went to see JR McCollum – a different comedian who was HYSTERICAL!! We laughed and laughed. He even pointed me out and said he thought I was laughing a bit too much.

We left the show and did our usual rounds from the piano bar to karaoke back to the piano bar.

As we were leaving to go to our room – kind of early because DH had to rest his voice for his Frank Sinatra role!! – we saw Karl with a K in the bakery bar (can’t remember what it’s called). I had to ask him when did he sleep! He told me he was getting sick and I saw he was mixing some thera flu. UGH! He chatted with Mike and scolded him for not having on his flashing Legends pin. LOL! I found Karl delightful and personable. Hey his job is cruise director..that’s gonna be a bit cheesy!

We got to our room and guess what we did…ordered room service!! We got the grilled ham and cheese sandwiches and milk. This time they even included potato chips on the side. OH YUMMY! We were actually in bed before midnight! Good thing because the last night on the ship was a LATE one!

I am loving your review!!!! Please keep it coming! 7 days until I leave the snowy land of ND. My husband was just reading the forcast for SJ, and he was saying hi of 81, hi of 80 etc, my daughter (who is 15 and should know better) said For us? here? tomorrow? Yeah right. sunshine here I come!

so glad you are enjoying it! I have Sat and Sun to recap and then I will put together a few additional thoughts. It's been nice to re-live it. So happy that you get to go next week!! WOO HOO! Please have a rum punch for me!!

by the way...someone surrendered their beautiful Himalayan to the local vet here...I want him so bad!!

so glad you are enjoying it! I have Sat and Sun to recap and then I will put together a few additional thoughts. It's been nice to re-live it. So happy that you get to go next week!! WOO HOO! Please have a rum punch for me!!

by the way...someone surrendered their beautiful Himalayan to the local vet here...I want him so bad!!

I would love another cat too!!! But then, I think my hunny might move out:D

I tried for a long time to find one at a shelter that did not bother my allergies, and finally bought my two from my SIL. They have stopped breeding because the papa is deaf and was passing it on to too many babies, both of mine are. The long dry hair is better for me.

Anyway, tomorrow I take out the suitcases and my smaller cat will sit in it and cry, with real tears and everything. But we will all be dancing for joy and the cat sitter will come visit my poor kitties who have to stay home! :)

Saturday 1/15/11 St Marteen

We arrived at 7 a.m. but woke at 7:40 a.m. We had considered sleeping in this day since we didn’t plan anything for St Marteen and tonight was the Legends show.

The sleeping didn’t happen because they were workers scrapping paint outside window and banging up against the ship. We had to laugh at this. Really, when would be a good time to paint the ship? Some people, like us, want to sleep late. Others may have gotten up early and be taking a nap if they did this in the afternoon. Perhaps they do it and all day and are equal opportunity “disturbers.” No problem – we just decided we could sleep when we got home!

We went to the Pacific dining room and DH was the only man at a table full of women. We were seated with a group of women from Canada and they were so much fun! They remembered talking to us at the big map one night and remembered we were from NC. It was actually a little hard to pull ourselves away because we were enjoying the chat.

At some point during the breakfast, I turned around when one of the ladies asked me a question. At that moment the server was setting my plate down and I got whacked in the eye! We all laughed but it actually hurt! The waiter was very apologetic!

We left the ship and took the water taxi over to the shopping district. This island is certainly set up for tourists. On our next trip, this will be a beach day. The chairs are right there after you get off the water taxi. A Live band and bars are everywhere too so it’s definitely a little tourist party area.

We did some shopping and ate at the Hard Rock. It was a sunny beautiful day and the view from Hard Rock was gorgeous. I had a frozen drink because hey, if you didn’t have a boat drink today you’ll never have a better fit for one! The food was good and it was nice to use our debit card again! My brother-in-law had cleaned our cats’ litter boxes while we were gone so we were definitely getting him a t-shirt at Hard Rock! The lady who worked there showed us the shirt unique to St. Marteen and we got him that one and of course my husband got one. When I got home, I noticed both my restaurant and gift shop purchase showed charges for conversion rates. So I am glad I didn’t use my card a lot while we were gone.

DH asked me what time it was and said we should get back to the ship. We had to be back on board I think at 4:30 and he had rehearsal at 4:45. When we got on the ship it was 2:30 and I think he didn’t hear me when I answered him in port and we got back earlier than we needed to. So while he showered and went to rehearsal, I went to the Serenity Deck again.

I found a chair up top and when I laid down, I smelled cigar smoke. So I migrated a deck down and over to a corner. Laid back with my shades on and just chilled. No book, no iPod, just enjoying the outdoors and sunshine.

I think I could take the 7-day cruise and stay on the Serenity Deck every day from sun up to sun down.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 – St Lucia

I feed a very pregnant yet undernourished black and white cat that was walking around the tables. I fed her a seafood cake. She was very grateful. Take me 2000 miles away from home and I will still be feeding strays!

We spent the day at the Rendezvous in October '10 when we were on the Victory and that same kitty looked pregnant then! Poor girl, she's probably gone through a few litters by now. Note to self...if we return to St. Lucia, kidnap that cat and get her fixed! Glad to see I'm not the only one who fed her ;)

We spent the day at the Rendezvous in October '10 when we were on the Victory and that same kitty looked pregnant then! Poor girl, she's probably gone through a few litters by now. Note to self...if we return to St. Lucia, kidnap that cat and get her fixed! Glad to see I'm not the only one who fed her ;)

Me too! I hope she gets plenty of tourists to feed her, although she doesn't look like it. Poor baby.

I had read some posts out here about the pets out there and how sad it would make you. We saw a dog standing in the middle of the traffic circle at St Thomas and he looked like he had a rope still around his neck. :(

Hi Jen. We did a transfer to the ship through Carnival and caught a taxi on the way back to the airport. I much prefered Carnival - I felt safer with Carnival and I was able to pay online with my credit card. For the taxi, they changed the price on us 4 times - and we had to pay cash. After 7 days in the islands our cash was low!! They also put us on one taxi and then moved us to another. The other thing I liked about the shuttle was that we were with other Carnival cruisers so we had some shared excitement and got to meet people we'd be sending the rest of the week.

At the airport, our luggage took a little while but it wasn't too terribly long. We didn't explore the airport greatly but I didn't consider it "run down."

The 3 things I loved excursion wise: rum distillery tour in Barbados (great tour guides and the rum is sooooo good!), St Kitts train (scenery is beautiful), and the day pass at the St Lucia resort (the Rendezvous). I would go back just to do those things again.

We enjoyed the Hard Rock cafe too in St Marteen. We are music people and it was cool to eat outside and look at the beautiful scenery.

None of these things were super expensive either. We are already planning our next trip!!

I wish I had gotten a Frommer's or similar travel guide before my trip. You still have time for that!

It's gonna be awesome!:D

Thank you!

The train ride in St Kitts looks so cool. I looked on the Carnival website but it doesn't show they offer that, did you book that through an independent tour operator?

Also Rendezvous - did you book that in advance directly with the resort?

Thank you!

The train ride in St Kitts looks so cool. I looked on the Carnival website but it doesn't show they offer that, did you book that through an independent tour operator?

Also Rendezvous - did you book that in advance directly with the resort?

Hi Jenny.

The train ride was through Carnival. It took a while for them to post it after we booked the cruise so you may want to check back later or call them. I was getting worried because it took them a while to post it after we booked, they eventually did!

I booked the Rendezvous on my own based on feedback from another CC member. When we got off the ship, we just got us a taxi to the resort and made arrangements for him to come back and get us (although he sent someone else, which was fine since we got back to the ship which was our goal!)

Here is the info:

You can email them at:

rendezvous@theromanticholiday.com

Subject: ATTN:front desk;Day Pass reservation request

The initial response from the front desk manager via emaiL: Mr.Angus Sexius.

Half day pass (Morning) Includes only, Drinks and use of resort facilities from 8:00am to 12 noon. cost US$40.00 Half day pass (afternoon) Includes Lunch, Afternoon tea, Drinks and use of resort facilities from 12 noon to 6:00pm. Cost US$50.00

other contact info:

Angus Sexius Angus@theromanticholiday.com

Malabar Beach , Castries , Saint Lucia (758) 4577920, (758) 4577917 | TO CALL: 011 + 758 + Area Code+ Tel #

It was WONDERFUL!!!

There is something I haven't addressed here that I really want to: "Cultural Differences."

I read so many complaints on this board about the "Puerto Ricans" on this cruise. Everyone we met was pleasant, friendly, and well mannered. No one ever "broke in line" and no one was unruly. One night at dinner - and only one night - there were a few little kids at the table next to us that were just a little rambunctious, but no more than you see in many places.

And as far as the music and entertainment being "all Latino," we experienced an 80/20 mix. I'd say 20% Latino. One night the karaoke leaned heavily to Latinos which was actually pretty cool. If you want to see people just like yourself, stay at home. :p

Seriously, when it no longer appealed to us, we just went over to the piano bar.

Someone complained that the disco was Latino. I didn't spend a lot of time there but I heard plenty of non-Latino music. On the Lido deck, there was reggae music. In the lobby there was a lovely duo who played lots of music, including Michael Jackson. I don't think they did any Latino music that I heard.

There were some announcements on the ship quite often that would say "For our Spanish-speaking guests." The Marriage Show was offered in English and Spanish (at different times) and I really wish my Spanish was so much better because I'd love to have seen the Spanish version! A couple of shows included a little mixture of both English and Spanish - like the show with Zuniga.

So I guess I'll just end with one of my Forest Grump's lines: That's all I've to say about that.

Hi Jenny.

The train ride was through Carnival. It took a while for them to post it after we booked the cruise so you may want to check back later or call them. I was getting worried because it took them a while to post it after we booked, they eventually did!

I booked the Rendezvous on my own based on feedback from another CC member. When we got off the ship, we just got us a taxi to the resort and made arrangements for him to come back and get us (although he sent someone else, which was fine since we got back to the ship which was our goal!)

Here is the info:

You can email them at:

rendezvous@theromanticholiday.com

Subject: ATTN:front desk;Day Pass reservation request

The initial response from the front desk manager via emaiL: Mr.Angus Sexius.

Half day pass (Morning) Includes only, Drinks and use of resort facilities from 8:00am to 12 noon. cost US$40.00 Half day pass (afternoon) Includes Lunch, Afternoon tea, Drinks and use of resort facilities from 12 noon to 6:00pm. Cost US$50.00

other contact info:

Angus Sexius Angus@theromanticholiday.com

Malabar Beach , Castries , Saint Lucia (758) 4577920, (758) 4577917 | TO CALL: 011 + 758 + Area Code+ Tel #

It was WONDERFUL!!!

Thanks for this info, this is great!

There is something I haven't addressed here that I really want to: "Cultural Differences."

I read so many complaints on this board about the "Puerto Ricans" on this cruise. Everyone we met was pleasant, friendly, and well mannered. No one ever "broke in line" and no one was unruly. One night at dinner - and only one night - there were a few little kids at the table next to us that were just a little rambunctious, but no more than you see in many places.

And as far as the music and entertainment being "all Latino," we experienced an 80/20 mix. I'd say 20% Latino. One night the karaoke leaned heavily to Latinos which was actually pretty cool. If you want to see people just like yourself, stay at home. :p

Seriously, when it no longer appealed to us, we just went over to the piano bar.

Someone complained that the disco was Latino. I didn't spend a lot of time there but I heard plenty of non-Latino music. On the Lido deck, there was reggae music. In the lobby there was a lovely duo who played lots of music, including Michael Jackson. I don't think they did any Latino music that I heard.

There were some announcements on the ship quite often that would say "For our Spanish-speaking guests." The Marriage Show was offered in English and Spanish (at different times) and I really wish my Spanish was so much better because I'd love to have seen the Spanish version! A couple of shows included a little mixture of both English and Spanish - like the show with Zuniga.

So I guess I'll just end with one of my Forest Grump's lines: That's all I've to say about that.

This is good to know. I read some really bad reviews on cruise critic about this exact topic. I was starting to regret my decision to book this particular sailing on this ship because a lot of people were saying the passengers were very rude locals, and the ship itself was below par. Its been a few years since I have been on Carnival. And coming off the Epic which is 6 months old - I know the Victory will look a lot different, there is no comparison! A lot of people complain about the cheesy peach colored pleather furniture on Carnival. OK its not my first choice of color, but that shouldn't ruin your whole vacation! I loved the assigned seating - I met some great people on my Carnival trips! I am thrilled to hear they still have coin operated self serve laundromats on board - this is great news for me, less packing I have to do (since I am doing two cruises in a row!).

This story has a few details…and you may think some of it is boring because it is laundry related. Stick with me….

When we got back to the ship, I went to lay out on the Serenity Deck (that I loved) while DH stayed in the cabin and practiced singing “My Way” that he would be doing in the Legends show. At that point we had been together 24/7 since the Saturday night before we left NC. I came back and could hear him singing out in the hall! We decided to do some laundry. Actually we *HAD* to do laundry – DH was out of socks and I was out of underwear. (I know, TMI.) I believe this night was the “Past Guests” celebration and I had to go by myself. DH will get to go with me to the next one though! And there will be a next one!

But here’s my laundry story – I put a load in wash and then took my shower. When I got out of the shower I put my stylish Carnival robe on and went and put the clothes in the dryer.

I came back and did my hair and makeup while I *thought* my clothes were drying. Every night my makeup was a challenge because the patch made my pupils HUGE – so everything was blurry. Given I had a spray tan and had gotten color on the ship I had given up on my pale foundation so I pretty much only wore eye makeup and lipstick. It was a challenge to see my eyes to do my makeup – very funny. DH should have videotaped it. And I am one of those people that will hardly go to the mailbox without makeup (but I think I mentioned on sea day I sat at the bar with no makeup. You may do some crazy things on the ship!!)

When I walked down to get the clothes out of the dryer I discovered they were all wet!! Oh no! I needed those nude underwear for my white pants I was wearing to dinner!!! I realized I hadn’t pressed the start button. I looked for something to get the dryer started and didn’t see it (again the patch’s effect on my eyes!) I assumed just pushing in the quarters made the dryer start. Well you know what happens when you assume….

So I had to make a wardrobe change. Given the only clean underwear I had would never work under my white pants (do you want to know why? They were hot pink and said Margaritaville on the back!!). I put on my black linen capris – over my hot pink underwear - and we went to dinner while the clothes dried.

At dinner we had the filet and prime rib and it was awesome. Potatoes…not so much. I had some sort of almond cake with raspberry something and it was incredibly rich and delicious!!

After dinner we decided to go back to the room so we could get the clothes out the dryer. We brought them back to the room. (There were many Spanish-speaking ladies in the laundry room every time I went. They were often ironing their clothes. Wow…this is vacation! I don’t even iron at home..that’s why we have dry cleaners!!)

When I bent over to get my shoes out, I heard a rip. Yep those black linen capris completely split! Warning – that may happen after you eat and drink too much over the 7 days on the ship!! It was even funnier though because that had happened at home right after New Year’s. I ripped my favorite black Ann Taylor pants when I bent over. I either have to go on a diet or stop bending over….

So I change clothes and have my white pants and dry underwear now (that don’t carry any Jimmy Buffet song titles on them). We went to see JR McCollum – a different comedian who was HYSTERICAL!! We laughed and laughed. He even pointed me out and said he thought I was laughing a bit too much.

We left the show and did our usual rounds from the piano bar to karaoke back to the piano bar.

As we were leaving to go to our room – kind of early because DH had to rest his voice for his Frank Sinatra role!! – we saw Karl with a K in the bakery bar (can’t remember what it’s called). I had to ask him when did he sleep! He told me he was getting sick and I saw he was mixing some thera flu. UGH! He chatted with Mike and scolded him for not having on his flashing Legends pin. LOL! I found Karl delightful and personable. Hey his job is cruise director..that’s gonna be a bit cheesy!

We got to our room and guess what we did…ordered room service!! We got the grilled ham and cheese sandwiches and milk. This time they even included potato chips on the side. OH YUMMY! We were actually in bed before midnight! Good thing because the last night on the ship was a LATE one!

Oh, ricew001 - this is just TOO FUNNY! I'm sure as you read back on your laundry fiasco and colored panties issue, you will find it hysterical. Although, having cruised 9 times (10th coming up on Feb 13), at the time, I KNOW you were frustrated! Loving your review!

LindyLou2

Thanks for the great review - we're anxiously awaiting the finish. We're going Feb 13 and taking our two sons, one daughter-in-law, and 4 teenage grandchildren. It's our 10th cruise and their first. We LOVE cruising and know they will, too! :)

Linda

This is just the best review I've seen!! We're sailing on 2/13 from SanJuan on the Victory and it's our first Carnival cruise so we're not sure what to expect and we don't know how to really "plan" our days on the islands! It's our honeymoon, so this has really helped give us some ideas.

I guess something I"m very worried about is our flight...we leave Minneapolis at 8 a.m....fly to Dallas...then to SJuan and get there at 8:10... I feel like that is cutting it SO CLOSE but travel agent assured us it's totally normal and fine, and that since we're booked on flights/transfers THRU Carnival, it really should be ok... thoughts on this?

So can anyone give us a list of "Must Dos" on each island?! :) This is great, THANKS!

Archived