Carnival Valor review 1/9-11/16

tootuff4u2

I've never done this before but I feel obligated after all the great advice and info I received from these message boards. I just got off the Valor and would rate my experience a 9 out of 10.

Some background first, travelling from Chicago area with my DW55 two DS 26 and 25 and myself 54.

We left on a 8:30 flight out of Midway airport that was uneventfull--cold no snow. We had 6 checked bags and 4 carryons---you would have thought that we were the Kardashian family. Thank goodness we flew Southwest and our bags flew free. We arrived at Ft. Lauderdale and took a taxi to our hotel the Embassy Suites Ft. Lauderdale. Cab fare was about $14 before tip. We were able to check in early and were settled in our suite by around 1:30 PM. We took a walk to find a spot for lunch--it felt great to walk around in shorts and a T-shirt!! Three of us decided on Five Guys Burgers and my vegetarian son at at a Mexican fast food place nearby. There were plenty of options. We then hit up the publix for our onboard water, diet coke to go with our Bon Voyage Bacardi Rum, 3 bottles of Asti for mimosas and 1 bottle of wine---the wine was from the wine store next to the Publix. We also purchased other things that we forgot to pack. Hung aroung the room for a while and then enjoyed the 2 hours of free drinks at the Managers reception while watching playoff football. Afterward we went to the packed Duffy's Sports Bar for supper about 500 feet from the hotel, this place have the most Plasma T.V.'s of anyplace I have ever seen and I spend most of my out time in Sports bars. After this we went back to the room to finish watching the games then bed. Sunday to come after my shower.

We were on there too. This cruise probably had the best food out of the 8 I have been on. Love the ship, love most of the entertainment staff, except Goofy Goose and Jimmie. He has some real talent on his staff but will run them off if he is not careful. Goose is just plain bad as a CD, the girls on his staff did all all the work, and this one guy John in the Comedy club did a great job.

We woke up and took advantage of Embassy Suites fantastic full breakfast buffet. We had reserved SAS transportation to pick us up and take us to the Miami terminal, it was $13 per person. They stated the earliest they pickup is 11:00. My cell rang at 10:30 it was the driver for SAS stating he was in the carport, we were ready so we checked out on the T.V. and headed down. It was a large passenger van with a U-haul type box pulled behind, our bags went in the box and our butts went in the van. We went to 2 more scheduled stops and were on our way to POM when the driver got a call for 1 more pickup in Hollywood beach, even with this stop we were at the terminal just before noon. Paid the driver plus $5 tip and moved our bags were the porter told us and gave him $5 to take care of it from there. It took us about 1 hour and 30 minutes to get on the boat. We have preregistered with the funpass. They did physically check both carryon bags that had a lot of liquid---our water, pop bag and our toiletry bag. Once on the boat it was time to eat, up to the Lido deck that was quite packed. We walked all the way to the back of the boat where the adult pool is---there was no one there and that was where we ate breakfast and lunch the entire cruise. Watching the wake was very soothing. If anyone has food questions I ate everywhere except fish and chips and Scarlett's. After lunch which was very good, we went to our room and found the room ready, our luggage there--except my wife's bag and the Bacardi in the room. I unpacked made a couple of rum and cokes in the glasses from our welcome aboard we are on vacation drinks I bought at lunch. Went onboard watch some of the football game on the seaside theatre. and watched the Glory pass us turn around and pass us again on its way out. We took a quick walk around to get the lay of the land headed to the room to get ready for dinner.

My wife's bag was at our room which was a good thing as she had nothing dinning room worthy in her carryon and we did not split up our bags which also had been recommended. We had early seating in the Lincoln dining room table 144. Our waiters were Jerome and Nilton, they did a great job in everything they did but for some reason we did not form a bond with them as well as we had with other waiters in the past but we still had fun with them. We did however form a bond with the dining room drink waiter Elek, so much so that we drank much more during the week at dinner as we normally would. First night I had the flat iron steak, we also had 2 BBQ ribs and 1 vegitarian entree. We never has more than 1 entree although I would probably recommend it on Lobster night as they were small and supplemented with tiger shrimp. We did though on most nights have mutiple starters, as many as 5 one night by one of my sons. I got into the rythem of my soup pick, the entree pasta which was also offered as a starter and then my entree and of course desert, any yes chocolate melting cake is that good. All the food was amazing!! Most nights the waiters would sing and dance a song which is corny but was cute and harmless---everyone seemed to enjoy it.

We're sailing on the Valor in September and I'm super excited to read a recent review! Please post menus if you have them:) We are from Chicago area as well but are trying to decide between driving and flying still. If we fly it will be out of O'hare and have noticed that it is cheaper to fly into FLL rather than Miami, did you save quite a bit by doing that?

After dinner we walked around gambled a little and killed time until the main show which was just an teaser of everything the dancers, singers and about 5 minutes each from 2 comedians. The dancers seemed O.K. as did the singers although that is not my cup of tea. We spent a lot of time in the punchliner comedy club all the way to the back of the ship level 5. They had 2 comedians the first few days Percy Crews who we thought was great and Frank Del Pizzo who we thought was good. More on the other 2 comedians later. No comedy tonight--we caught a little Karaoke and were going to turn in early and stopped to hear a rock band at Paris Hot lounge--we stood at the door and they sucked us into the room, there name was Pure, 4 Asian guys who were outstanding. We stayed another hour and a half until they were done---we caught them whenever we had a chance---and I'm really not a rock guy but they played great classic rock. The end of Day 1

Great start to your review! We loved the Valor and it's always interesting to hear from others who enjoyed it as well. We also stayed at Embassy Suites on the way down to Miami, but we stayed at the one in Boca Raton because they had a rate that was too good to pass up. We always try to stay at ES when we travel -- you get so much for the money.

Things I forgot about day 1. Had Tiramasu for dessert--great, bought 4 drink tickets from Bon Voyage as a X-mas gift and they were delivered at the dining table on day 1 as promised. Goose was the cruise director--in my mind he didn't stand out but he really wasn't a negative in my book. The entire ship staff was friendly as a whole--as I walked around the ship I got a lot of hellos. Also our room steward-Made-was great again quiet but efficient--I would bug him occasionally while he was cleaning to make a couple of drinks but he was very cool. Did not use room service the entire trip but my kids did and even purchased a bottle of Bacardi Rum, when they saw how we were saving a few bucks. $40 no tax. Bathroom had plenty of room. More tomorrow night. I will try to answer all questions.

I do not have menus plus I'm so low tech I'm sorry no pics or downloading of anything else.

Also the timing of the trip it seems that it was an older crowd--this coming from a 54 year old--not that many kids either. My kids met many people their age though.

Did not use room service the entire trip but my kids did and even purchased a bottle of Bacardi Rum, when they saw how we were saving a few bucks. $40 no tax. .

So they were able to order it on the ship? That was done thru Room service?

Thanks for the info and your review

Day 2 at sea day---I am going to chop this up into several paragraphs as I am loosing my verbage before I post it. My wife and I got up and walked 10 floors up to the jogging track and walked 3 miles (27 laps). This was our 1st and only workout of the week. We then went down to the breakfast buffet at the Lido--we never did breakfast or lunch in the dining room--I grabbed one of the large oval dishes and proceeded to fill my plate--most days I would have potatoes, sausage, either scrambled eggs or their egg specialty like quiche or eggs benedict, a bagel or some toast, sometimes some fruit--they have honeydew, grapefruit and cantelope--most days banannas also some pancakes or french toast----I know this is a lot but I'm a big guy 6' 255 maybe 265 now!!! chocolate milk and a cup of coffee. They also have regular milk, 2% and skim. O.J and a Guave juice mixture. They had different type of potatoes and sausage most days, I always like the sausage but a few days I thought the potatoes were a little bland. I like a little kick in my food. Everything else was great.

Archived