Just back from POA Jan. 8-15 , 2011 cruise

Kapuna

Not very good weather during the cruise . The ship had to skip the Kona port due to sea swells and sailed to the whale sanctuary instead . We did see some whales ( and a submarine ! ).

We had sailed on the POA a year ago and were very pleased with that cruise , but were disappointed with changes made since . No more orchestra or production troupe , main restaurants closed for lunch on most days and limited breakfast hours ,long lines at dinner time , fewer choices at the buffet , broken thermostat , drawers , and lights in cabin , plus extra charges for items that used to be included . This is what happens when there is no competition (POA has a monopoly in Hawaii) ; prices go up and value goes down .

This still is a great way to see and explore Hawaii . It offers views of the lava flow and Na Pali coast not easily available by other means as well as providing some exposure to Hawaiian culture on board . Staff members are helpful and friendly , but there are constant solicitations for drinks , photos , art auctions , etc .

Thank you for letting us know a bit about your cruise. I am sorry you missed Kona, but seeing the whales would be fun. I hope you let someone know about the problems in your cabin and they were fixed!

Do they no longer do production shows on the POA? That would be a disappointment.

So glad you liked your cruise. Gosh to miss a POC would be disappointing. DH and I are booked for this Dec 2011.

So, how did you find the food in the Alohoa Cafe and MDR? If you have time, please give accounts of both. DH and I are resigned to eating most meals in the Cafe as we like to control fat intake. Also so many bad reviews here. Usually we are wiped out after a POC, no matter how calm or active.

Also, did you experience smoking around your cabin???

So looking forward to this trip.

Thanks for posting and have a nice evening.

We were on the POA in Dec and the food really is not a strong point IMO. The aloha cafe offerings were just average and really inferior to any other cruise buffet we have experienced. The MDR was only a bit better. The specialty restaurants seemed better-we did the Asian Fusion and it was quite good. We had high hopes for the Cadillac Dinner but it was hit or miss-the brownie icecram dessert was, however, delicious! There are many other great features on the ship, but food is nothing to get excited about.

Actually , we found the food to be good in the dining rooms and acceptable in the cafe . Surprisingly , our only bad experience was in the Bistro . We ate there twice ; the first time we both ordered the filet mignon and it was excellent but , the second time , we had the Coq au Vin ( inedible ) and the salmon ( very dry ) .

We experienced no problems with smokers .

Poa better get their act together and fix all the nuisance problems on board...

If this is a bad cruise, i recommend telling all on cc and dont sail them again..

Poa makes or breaks the company..........

Sheehan ought to listen to us all.. When i called and asked his assiatant abiut poor responses to poa on cc she said well that must have been a year ago... When i said no do you read cc she says yes.. I responded well you should read them carefully and get the ship and crew into shape.

John

Poa better get their act together and fix all the nuisance problems on board...

If this is a bad cruise, i recommend telling all on cc and dont sail them again..

Poa makes or breaks the company..........

Sheehan ought to listen to us all.. When i called and asked his assiatant abiut poor responses to poa on cc she said well that must have been a year ago... When i said no do you read cc she says yes.. I responded well you should read them carefully and get the ship and crew into shape.

John

• 1 month later...
So glad you liked your cruise. Gosh to miss a POC would be disappointing. DH and I are booked for this Dec 2011.

So' date=' how did you find the food in the Alohoa Cafe and MDR? If you have time, please give accounts of both. DH and I are resigned to eating most meals in the Cafe as we like to control fat intake. Also so many bad reviews here. Usually we are wiped out after a POC, no matter how calm or active.

Also, did you experience smoking around your cabin???

So looking forward to this trip.

Thanks for posting and have a nice evening.[/quote']

Bigtoes, when in December? DW and I are on the Dec 10th sailing. What time should I book my flight back? I was looking at late afternoon, but have seen some around 1:35.

Bigtoes, we are also looking at booking Dec 3rd. Would this be your cruise date? We are all from the Gulf Coast (Mobile). Have been looking at flights all day and have to say they will cost as much as the cruise. Have you booked your flights yet?

I hate to hear about POA's poor service and food. This will be our first cruise with Norwegian. Hope we don't get burned with this cruise line.

Bigtoes, we are also looking at booking Dec 3rd. Would this be your cruise date? We are all from the Gulf Coast (Mobile). Have been looking at flights all day and have to say they will cost as much as the cruise. Have you booked your flights yet?

I hate to hear about POA's poor service and food. This will be our first cruise with Norwegian. Hope we don't get burned with this cruise line.

I leave in 17 days & will be sure to write a full report on my return. From what I understand as long as you go with the knowledge that this cruise is more like a "moving hotel" and not your "typical" cruise you won't be disappointed. When I 1st starting reading these boards early last year the reports were very negative. Since then they've improved considerably. Not sure about these recent posters but I'll find out soon enough & relay my findings.;)

BTW I also have been told that if you're more the gourmet-type the food will not be to your liking. I have zero interest in gourmet and am going with the belief that all will be just fine.:)

We leave April 2nd...and have also taken the opinion that it is a floating hotel. I think there will also be time to enjoy food while on the island. Especially with 2 overnights which you rarely get on board any other cruise. Hey...its nurishment! I eat pretty basic food...so...maybe I won't gain much weight! :o

Hubby will be thrilled since he is not into gourmet foods at all. He is the happiest with burgers, hotdogs and pizza and of course his daily fix of soft serve ice cream. I like trying different things, never know what I might find that I enjoy. But it doesn't have to be gourmet.

We will go not expecting our usual cruise experience. Our TA has warned us this cruise is not the service staff cruise that we are use to since it is mostly american staff. This is so sad, are we as americans that lazy? Our main goal is to see as much of Hawaii as we can in a short period of time.

I look forward to reading all reviews I can find. Everyone's likes are different...that's what makes the world go round.

• 4 weeks later...

In Feb. 2005 we took the Pride of Aloha,,,,were worried because everyone seemed to be trashing the ship.....We loved it. Hawaii is the greatest place to cruise, and the ship was fine from our experience.

I believe if you don't sit back and expect to be waited on hand and foot you will have a nice time. Nothing is ever perfect...but it beats working :)

Archived