Difference betwen Elation, Ectasy, and last choice Paradise

Marigold183

Considering a cruise with my 2 teen kids on one of these ships. Embarkation in either Mobile, AL or Galveston, TX possibly in late February. Have to fly from Colorado so bad weather could be a concern so that is why Los Angeles and the Paradise is in the running.

Tell me what you know and think!! TIA

The Elation an Ectasy are the same ships with different decor, if I'm not mistaken they have the same Itenary so look at which port is cheaper to fly into and transport to and from.

Are you looking at a weekend'er or 5 day?

Progresso sucks unless your into Ruins, the kids will most likely not enjoy it.

The paradise will offer more outside the cruies for you to do with the kiddos.

Long Beach has a great aquarium, the So Cal beaches are great. of course Disney, Knotts Berry, Universial, etc...

I cruise the Ectasy on a yearly basis simply because it is close, cheap and I only use one day of vacation.

Weigh all the options and what you might like to do before or after the actual cruise...

John

Of the 3 Ships mentioned, the Ecstasy has had the latest refit. It has Added Balcony rooms, added the Water park (I believe Elation has the water park also, not sure about Paradise) and the Ecstasy has the Serenity retreat for the adults (no body under 18) on the aft deck for some peace and quiet. The Beach/Water activities excursions in Cozumel are some of the better and previous poster was right about Progresso, mostly ruins etc... All in all though any of the ships you should have a great time. Also flying into Houston might be Cheaper on the NEW United/Contential out of DIA

I love Ecstasy and the CD is the best and it has all the upgrades, including balcony category and waterworks... and it has won the crystal award as the favorite ship.

Elation is actually newer with none of the upgrades, but Im told better decorating. Ill be on her in a few weeks.

... what I think would tilt the scales a lot .. its a pain to fly into houston and get to galveston and many complain about the cost. Mobile would be easier to fly into and get to the ship by far.

We had people on my voyager roll call who swore they would never cruise out of galveston again. .. at least you could probably do a rental car. Rental car place in galveston isnt even open on sunday, so conquest and voyager cant use it....but that might work for you. I just think you ought to price out transportation to the port before you jump on Ecstasy which I love to death, but its a drive in port more than a fly in port.

just my opinion.

Of the 3 Ships mentioned, the Ecstasy has had the latest refit. It has Added Balcony rooms, added the Water park (I believe Elation has the water park also, not sure about Paradise) and the Ecstasy has the Serenity retreat for the adults (no body under 18) on the aft deck for some peace and quiet. The Beach/Water activities excursions in Cozumel are some of the better and previous poster was right about Progresso, mostly ruins etc... All in all though any of the ships you should have a great time

Elation doesnt have the water park. It was on the west coast with Paradise who also doesnt have it. Probably why they are bringing paradise to our area and swapping it out .. so it too can get waterworks its next dry dock.

All 3 ships have that serenity area, but as firefly said, only the Ecstasy (of your 3 choices) has the waterworks with the bigger waterslide. Paradise & Elation has a small waterslide, that drops sliders into the main pool. I loved the look of Elation, the only one of the 3 I've been on. What the others have mentioned about the port of Progreso is correct: mostly about ruins, not a nice beach. However, the Elation out of Mobile goes to Calica instead of Progreso on their Mon-Fri, 5-day cruises. In 2009, I specifically picked one of the Cozumel-Calica itineraries out of Mobile. There is so much to do out of Calica. Tulum (ruins + a beach), Xel-Ha, Xcaret, or just take a cab to Playa del Carmen and their beautiful beach. I had plenty of time for both Tulum & the Playa del Carmen beach. And there is that factor of the transfers from airport to terminal/hotels. Galveston is tough, while Mobile is easy.

Cozumel has tons of options. I really liked Paradise Beach, with the water "toys" out on the water: an iceberg/inflated mountain to climb, inflated slides to climb up & slide down.

Archived