Want to swim with the turtles. St. Thomas or Barbados?

Andrea0908

We are having a hard time deciding on whether to swim with turtles in St. Thomas or Barbados. We are an active, water sports family of three. Does anyone have any suggestions, for either port, regarding a reputable tour company for turtle swim and snorkeling? Silver Moon Ocean Adventures(Barbados) was our first choice and they are booked. Is it just easier(and cheaper) to take a taxi in Barbados to Payne's Bay? I've read the turtles are there and it's good snorkeling. I can book something else for St. Thomas. If anyone has any experience with either port, I appreciate your input. This is our first trip to both of these ports and there's a lot of choices. Thanks!

We took a trip with Silver Moon a few years ago and it was fantastic. If you go onto the thread for the March 12 Serenade of the Seas sailing (I think it is the last page or so) there is another group that takes people to the turtle swim and they posted the website there. I did also read that Paynes Beach has a lot of turtles but when the catamarans come in they swim out to meet them. Also read the Payne's Beach blogs.

Love Barbados. Try and look at the Earthworks Pottery while you are there.

happy Sailing.

We just returned from using Capt Ron in Barbados for a second time last week . A wonderful day that tries to keep you away from all the crowds . When we swam with the turtles we were the only ones there , just awesome . Great food and rates with a second snorkel stop as well on a gorgeous catamaran . $75 US pp . Might wanna give him a shout . Captain Ron's number is 1-246-262-3792 .

In St Thomas had a really good day snorkeling at Sapphire , saw my first school of angels . Turtles are said to hang out towards the left at Sapphire but saw none on our day . We just took the 2 dollar bus , easy breezy ! Megan's is also a good beach for active folks .Have a blast whatever you do ! Ted

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I spend the morning of Jan 20th at Payne's Beach snorkeling with the turtles. The beach is nice and it is an easy swim out to where the turtles are. I suggeat going in the morning when most of the tour boats arrive and just swim out to where they anchor. They feed the turtles and we did see alot. They swim close enough to touch and the water was very clear when we were there. If you want to save some money, there is no need to join a crowded tour, just take a taxi and go on your own.

We are having a hard time deciding on whether to swim with turtles in St. Thomas or Barbados. We are an active, water sports family of three. Does anyone have any suggestions, for either port, regarding a reputable tour company for turtle swim and snorkeling? Silver Moon Ocean Adventures(Barbados) was our first choice and they are booked. Is it just easier(and cheaper) to take a taxi in Barbados to Payne's Bay? I've read the turtles are there and it's good snorkeling. I can book something else for St. Thomas. If anyone has any experience with either port, I appreciate your input. This is our first trip to both of these ports and there's a lot of choices. Thanks!

We decided to go with Heatwave in Barbados. IT WAS GREAT !!

We just returned from a cruise with one day in Barbados. We chose a guide named Kayak Jack for a kayak, turtle, snorkel adventure. Barbadoskayakjack (dot) com. He picked us up at the port & took us to Carlisle Bay. We kayaked & swam, both, and used snorkels. The distance to the turtles is not far off the beach. He returned us to the port as well. The price now is $50 per person.

It is possible to just swim out to the turtles, but snorkel gear is necessary to really see them. The catamarans (and this guide) use bait to lure the turtles close. It's a fascinating experience.

Sherry

Thanks All! Payne's Bay it is! In St. Thomas we'll head over to Sapphire Beach where, supposedly, there are great reefs/snorkeling! We are going to bring our own gear(and red flags--I've read they are now a law in Barbados?) for snorkeling out to meet the catamarans in Payne's Bay to see the turtles. Can't wait!!!

We had the best time in St. Thomas on http://www.jollymonstthomas.com/cruiseship.htm.

It was the first time we had ever snorkeled so I was a little apprehensive. It was beautiful We saw so many green sea turtles at Turtle Cove. They would come up for air right next to you.

It was a very relaxing day. They were waiting for us right where the ship docked. And made sure we returned in plenty of time.

I'm visiting Barbados on a cruise and am looking at things to do while there. Swimming with turtles sounds fantastic. Though the guides seem expensive. The link to the blog was useful - to know it can be done on your own and I am thinking of trying it.

We were just there last week. We got a cab ride to hang at beach, I think it was $15 each way for 4 of us....trying to remember. The cab driver told us that Payne's beach was not good - probably had a "friend" at other beach - so he took us a little farther to Holetown beach. We got beach chairs for $5 each and there is a nice little restaurant there, also lots of trees if you need shade. They rent jet-skis and boats there. My husband didn't want to snorkel so my son and I paid $25 per person and a guide took us out in a nice boat with a cooler of drinks for about an hour and a half. We swam with turtles all by ourselves and then he took us to where a shipwreck is. We waited until the masses of people on catamarans left and had the place to ourselves. It was wonderful! He had snorkel equipment on the boat and threw bread in the water when he thought we needed to see more fish. It was amazing, my favorite part of the cruise and all for $25. Then we relaxed on beach and swam for another 2 hours.

We were just there last week. We got a cab ride to hang at beach, I think it was $15 each way for 4 of us....trying to remember. The cab driver told us that Payne's beach was not good - probably had a "friend" at other beach - so he took us a little farther to Holetown beach. We got beach chairs for $5 each and there is a nice little restaurant there, also lots of trees if you need shade. They rent jet-skis and boats there. My husband didn't want to snorkel so my son and I paid $25 per person and a guide took us out in a nice boat with a cooler of drinks for about an hour and a half. We swam with turtles all by ourselves and then he took us to where a shipwreck is. We waited until the masses of people on catamarans left and had the place to ourselves. It was wonderful! He had snorkel equipment on the boat and threw bread in the water when he thought we needed to see more fish. It was amazing, my favorite part of the cruise and all for $25. Then we relaxed on beach and swam for another 2 hours.

Now I'm second-guessing our decision to snorkel Payne's Bay after your post. You're right... he probably had a "friend" he had to throw the business to at Holetown Beach. That's usually how it works. ;) Cab fare seems reasonable. I'm doing some googling research to see what the consensus is on Holetown Beach. You just hopped a cab at the pier? Thanks!

My wife and I spend the morning of Jan 20th at Payne's Beach snorkeling with the turtles. The beach is nice and it is an easy swim out to where the turtles are. I suggeat going in the morning when most of the tour boats arrive and just swim out to where they anchor. They feed the turtles and we did see alot. They swim close enough to touch and the water was very clear when we were there. If you want to save some money, there is no need to join a crowded tour, just take a taxi and go on your own.

This is what we want to do when we go there. My wife and I will be traveling with a friend and his wife, but one is not a great swimmer. Are there rentals on the beach like kayaks or something that would help us get out there? About how far of a swim is it? We have our own snorkel gear, just need to see how easy it would be for someone who isn't a great swimmer.

We just returned from using Capt Ron in Barbados for a second time last week . A wonderful day that tries to keep you away from all the crowds . When we swam with the turtles we were the only ones there , just awesome . Great food and rates with a second snorkel stop as well on a gorgeous catamaran . $75 US pp . Might wanna give him a shout . Captain Ron's number is 1-246-262-3792 .

In St Thomas had a really good day snorkeling at Sapphire , saw my first school of angels . Turtles are said to hang out towards the left at Sapphire but saw none on our day . We just took the 2 dollar bus , easy breezy ! Megan's is also a good beach for active folks .Have a blast whatever you do ! Ted

Thanks for the advice on Captain Ron. I contacted him today but, unfortunately, he's booked on the 23rd, our day in port. Just our luck:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

You can take a cab to carlisle bay for like $4 per person. There they are 2 boats that operate from the shore , one yellow and one blue ( cant remember the names :) They will take you to snorkel with turtles just there in the bay, and also to the wrecks which are also quite close in the bay . They have there own snorkel gear and bait to feed the turtles.... charge think $15 or $20 person . They operate infront of Harbour Lights Beach Bar where you can also get food, drinks and beach chair and umbrella rental .

Enjoy no matter what you choose ...

Not to burst anyone's bubble or anything but please think twice about patronizing any business that uses food to lure wildlife in to interact with you. Anyone who does that does not care about wildlife or the ecosystems they live in. Does anybody really think bread is a nutritious meal for a fish?:(

The Hawksbill turtle is a protected species in Barbados.

Barbados was the first island in the Caribbean to protect the Hawksbill turtle and it is an ongoing pledge of the people and the government to assure that they are not harmed.

To show you how serious we are, there is a mandate to the businesses on the SW and South coasts to turn off their outside (beach) lights during nesting season so as not to confuse the turtles with the lights. Not adhering to a beach lights-out during nesting can bring fines.

The same holds true to licensed tour operators that offer turtle excursions. No fins. Minimal touching of the animals and they must me bated, or coaxed with what they normally eat in the wild. They're omnivorous and have a wide diet. Although they mostly eat sponges, almost any fish agrees with them.

If an operator was observed feeding bread on more than one occasion, they would be watching future activities from the beach.

However casual you perceive you tour operator(s), I can assure you that the Hawksbills' health and well being is high on their list.

Please come and enjoy these wonderful creatures knowing that they are respected and loved. :)

Thank you for that information. That's really good to know how carefully Barbados looks after their wildlife! (I believe the statement about feeding bread was made about feeding the fish not the turtles.)

I do feel it's a mistake though to have a wild animal equate people with a source of food. Not everyone who swims in the ocean is friendly and have the best interests of the animals at heart. As I'm sure you know one of the main reasons sea turtles are endangered is because of the actions of people. There's no way for the turtle to tell if the person offering them food means them harm or not. They're just just happy for a free meal.

I was so thrilled when I first saw sea turtles while snorkeling! I just wish people could be happy just seeing them going about their turtle business and not feel the need to interact with them.

I wish more people felt the way that you do about our animal friends.

I've seen some terrible things around the world and my #1 goal is to make people realize that they're not here to entertain us, they are here as equals with us, so I have a critical eye when it comes to turtle feeding. I agree with you, I wish it wasn't happening, but at least here on the island I know they are protected.

The bread feeding of the fish actually harm the reefs and not so much the fish. The fish do no eat the insects that harm the reefs when they are full from eating bread.

Interesting world, yes? ;)

My ds and I just got back from Barbados and went with Shasa. Jason is the owner. They have a 3hr and a 5hr trip. The 5hr includes the most marvelous lunch/drinks/beer/rumpunch. You can't believe his wife cooks like this everyday! He keeps his #'s to 14 I think. Their were 11 of us. We went and swam with the turtles(awesome), and then off to a shipwreck and coral reef, then off to a cove to swim/go to the beach, or if we wanted or hang out on the catamarin. Jason grew up on Barbados so he knows the island and all of the out of the way spots to avoid being with all the other boats out there.

Archived