Gem aft balcony covered/larger?

jerseygirl3

We currently have Gem cabin 9174 (aft) on hold. The cost is $80/pp more for the aft vs. a regular balcony cabin. Worth it? Can someone tell me if the balcony is larger than the balcony on the sides? Also, is the balcony totally/partially covered?

If anyone has photos, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jo-Ann

We currently have Gem cabin 9174 (aft) on hold. The cost is $80/pp more for the aft vs. a regular balcony cabin. Worth it? Can someone tell me if the balcony is larger than the balcony on the sides? Also, is the balcony totally/partially covered?

If anyone has photos, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jo-Ann

Just to add to the above question (hopefully someone knows the answer), we can do an aft mini-suite for $110/pp more. However, it's on Deck 11. I've heard some negative things about aft cabins on Deck 11. Right now our aft balcony cabin is on Deck 9.

Again, anybody know the answer to my initial question and have any suggestions about the aft mini-suite on Deck 11?

TIA

We had room 11156 in May of 2009 from Barcelona. We were never bothered by noise from above. We heard some chairs moving around during clean up time but it never really bothered us. Some of the smells can make you hungry though.

Last year we were on deck 10 with an aft balcony. My wife actually prefers balcony over mini because she doesn't like stepping over a tub. And the closet layout.

enjoy

Jerseygirl13,

I think you are smart for switching. I was in 9174 for a one-day cruise on the Gem. Am I glad it was only for one night! The room was really small and the balcony was just a standard size. The long walk to the back of the ship wasn't worth it. I am sure the mini-suite will be better.

Marilyn

I was next door to 11156 also in an aft mini-suite and we too heard chairs scraping but the noise level was very faint. DH just thought it was ship sounds. I'd book that cabin again without second thought. We did have some black soot on the deck but they cleaned that up regularly. Cabin stewards Emi and Velu were wonderful.:)

The balcony was definitely bigger than the side BA I had cruised in previously on the GEM. The 10th floor aft BA have even bigger balconies but I think the 9th floor aft BA have only slightly larger balconies.

@jerseygirl3 -

Below is a picture of the Jewel's stern cabins, ours was 9174. It should give you a decent look at what the balcony is like. On all our cruises we have cruised in a stern cabin. I don't think the balconies are any larger than the side balconies. Maybe you can get a better view at our SmuMug site. There are two albums of the Jewel's stern end and two of the Gem's. Hope this helps.

2090077451_JewelAft.jpg.a73ed4c5ebfcc9f88814868b1ee453cc.jpg

@jerseygirl3 -

Below is a picture of the Jewel's stern cabins, ours was 9174. It should give you a decent look at what the balcony is like. On all our cruises we have cruised in a stern cabin. I don't think the balconies are any larger than the side balconies.

We just booked a stern balcony on the Jade deck 8. It'll be the first time we've been in an aft balcony. I was studying your photo, and it looks as if deck 8 (by luck) is the only deck with a fully covered balconey (i.e. other balconies are visible from the deck above). Is this correct?

We just booked a stern balcony on the Jade deck 8. It'll be the first time we've been in an aft balcony. I was studying your photo, and it looks as if deck 8 (by luck) is the only deck with a fully covered balconey (i.e. other balconies are visible from the deck above). Is this correct?

When I looked at that photo, it looked to me like the cabins on Deck 11 were the ones that were fully covered. That was one of my main reasons for switching to the mini-suite on Deck 11 because we wanted a fully covered balcony.

Am I mistaken?

Jo-Ann

@pex -

@jerseygirl -

You will have complete privacy, unless your neighbors are really nosey, go all the way to the railing, lean out and look into the balcony next to. That's almost how I took the picture. I leaned out and shot straight down. Can you see a balcony below on Deck 8?There just aint no way anybody's gonna look into your balcony. Well, maybe if they lean over and look down they may see a foot or so of your balcony floor. The enclosed picture is of our balcony on Deck 9. Looks like it's fully covered. Anyhow, you folks seem to be too concerned about privacy on your balcony. It's so private, we even string our laundry line when the ship is cruising. No no, not when we are docked. :) Whatever balcony you have, I hope you enjoy it.

176296163_LookingDown.jpg.db3c2dc029c7d2952aa31088ebeadfdf.jpg

2058695836_Balconycovered.jpg.15388619274e4cbf6ecf7722bb64bffc.jpg

When I looked at that photo, it looked to me like the cabins on Deck 11 were the ones that were fully covered. That was one of my main reasons for switching to the mini-suite on Deck 11 because we wanted a fully covered balcony.

Am I mistaken?

Jo-Ann

You're not mistaken, the aft mini-suites on the 11th are covered. Looking down you can see into the 10th and 9th floor balconies.

Here are some pics from my recent Gem cruise. We were in an 11th floor Aft mini-suite.

367.jpg

237.jpg

I have a question for all you "experts" :p I have booked stateroom 10660 with a balcony, and it's two back from the aft facing facing balconies. When I looked at the pics people have posted, it looks like the aft balconies are larger & have loungers instead of chairs.... Is this true? Could I be dreaming? ;)

The 10th floor balconies are the largest and can accomodate loungers. NCL has the aft BA and mini-suites priced higher in their new pricing structure. My 11th floor mini-suites balcony was a little bigger than the side BA I stayed in previously. It's my understanding the 8th and 9th floor BAs are also slightly bigger but not as big as the 10th floor.

Aft BA's are now priced higher?! I must have sneaked in just before the price change. We're on the 3/18 Jade cruise, my second time on the Jade. I'm excited! This will be my first time in an aft cabin.

Studying the (excellent) photos, it seems as if the balcony size is largest on ten, followed smartly by 11, 8, and 9.

The 10th floor balconies are the largest and can accomodate loungers. NCL has the aft BA and mini-suites priced higher in their new pricing structure. My 11th floor mini-suites balcony was a little bigger than the side BA I stayed in previously. It's my understanding the 8th and 9th floor BAs are also slightly bigger but not as big as the 10th floor.

@pex -

@jerseygirl -

You will have complete privacy, unless your neighbors are really nosey, go all the way to the railing, lean out and look into the balcony next to. That's almost how I took the picture. I leaned out and shot straight down. Can you see a balcony below on Deck 8?There just aint no way anybody's gonna look into your balcony. Well, maybe if they lean over and look down they may see a foot or so of your balcony floor. The enclosed picture is of our balcony on Deck 9. Looks like it's fully covered. Anyhow, you folks seem to be too concerned about privacy on your balcony. It's so private, we even string our laundry line when the ship is cruising. No no, not when we are docked. :) Whatever balcony you have, I hope you enjoy it.

Privacy is not the issue. DH has an autoimmune disease and cannot be in the sun, so we always try to select a balcony that he can sit on and enjoy without being exposed to sunlight.

Thanks for the information and photos.

• 2 years later...

Archived