spa treatments

Petem

Are spa treatments a rip off? I have never had a massage and/or other treatments on a cruise. I was wondering if anyone out there has had good/bad experiences. I know this is subjective, but would like some feedback.

They are quite expensive, but I wouldn't say they are a rip-off. However, don't do (or let a friend do) the one that uses electricity and some special rub to take off inches of cellulite. That one is expensive and the results are only temporary. I think it's called Ionothermie or something like that.

Last cruise I had a hot stone massage, a pedicure, and a haircut and color. The hot stone massage was nice but not as good as the one I had at a spa in Arizona. Still, it's a good massage and if you feel like trying something exotic to treat yourself that doesn't involved being wrapped up with fruit puree then go for it. :)

My pedicure was fine, and was about double what I pay at home -- which is pretty much what I expected. My haircut and color were also quite expensive but the cut was excellent and the color was PHENOMENAL. The stylist put in highlights and lowlights and my hair hadn't looked that gorgeous in years.

I don't think you can go wrong with having your nails done.

I sailed one time with a friend who had her hair completely redone....cut and color...and she looked (and felt :) ) fabulous !

However, on some of the other treatments...I have experienced serious product pushing. I do not like that at all.

One time, I had a facial....it was very expensive....and I think it was 90% product time vs. actual facial/relaxation time. :mad:

I love pampering myself in the spas on cruises. I agree that they are quite a bit more expensive than the spas at home, but I've found the service to be excellent. I also agree that they can aggressively push the products, but I make it clear from the start that I'm not interested and they back off. I had the hot stones massage and the seaweed wrap on my last cruise and loved both of them.

Terri

I always get a spa treatment on a cruise. Yes, it is a bit more expensive, but the total experience is part of my vacation. I go into the T-Pool, and relax and just "numb out". It's an opportunity to enjoy a massage, along with the gentle motion of the ship. Can't get that at home no matter how posh the spa facilities are.....My gift to ME!

Give yourself a treat. I always do mine on port days as the treatments are discounted. Of course some are so expensive I wouldn't think about have one, but I like to do the exfolieate (spelling) and fake tan treatment. I look good, it lasts almost the entire cruise, isn't all that expensive and is almost like a full message. Try it, you might like it. NMnita

I have bought a package for my next cruise - maybe your Spa treatments in the US are cheaper but the combined price of the 5 treatments was 50% less than I pay at my local Elemis salon. And after all I am on holiday and treats for me are what it is about - isnt it???:)

I don't think we have any Elemis salons in the US. I've only seen them on ships. In fact, I thought they were some made-up cruiseline brand until I saw their toiletries in the shower rooms in the Cathay Pacific business lounge in Hong Kong. I've always liked the products and treatments I've gotten on the ships, but now I have even more respect for the brand knowing they have land-based salons somewhere, too.

I have bought a package for my next cruise - maybe your Spa treatments in the US are cheaper but the combined price of the 5 treatments was 50% less than I pay at my local Elemis salon. And after all I am on holiday and treats for me are what it is about - isnt it???:)

Did you book it through Celebrity's web site? I am wanting to do this for my next cruise but since Celebrity changed their web site I can't find where to do it anymore. If you DID book it online how do you get there on their site?

Terri

Did you book it through Celebrity's web site? I am wanting to do this for my next cruise but since Celebrity changed their web site I can't find where to do it anymore. If you DID book it online how do you get there on their site?

Terri

No I booked through our TA, on the site you can see the Packages in your booking section and what they contain (but no prices) I am not sure the US price, our TA had to go through X in the UK for a price and it was £205 (c$400) for the 5 treatment package. The Health and Beauty at my local Health Club?Gym is Elemis. The Japanese Facial is so wondefully relaxing and much more than a facial

The Aquaspa is VERY overpriced, and while the spa staff is friendly, the treatments are low in quality. I had a Swedish massage on Galaxy, it cost $120 plus a 10% tip. Not only was this the most expensive massage I had ever had, it was also one of the worst. The massage basically consisted of the masseuse rubbing oil on my body with little to no pressure. The prices of the massages are very overpriced. I have had massages at 5-star resorts and they were a fraction of what the Aquaspa charges (and of much better quality). My daughter had a manicure or pedicure (I don’t remember which one) and she said one has to pay extra to get a basic hand/foot massage, which most spas include at no extra cost with manicures/pedicures. She said the manicure/pedicure was fine, nothing special, but very overpriced. My advice is to get your manicures and pedicures before you leave for your cruise and skip the massages, unless you think it is worth paying the extra money to have it on a cruise.

The only treatment I think that is worth spending money for (if you are not in a suite) is the Thalassotherapy pool. I used the Thalassotherapy pool almost everyday. Sitting in it was one of my favorite things to do. It was so relaxing!

Archived