Izmir/Ephesus..time for Ephesus and Izmir Bazaar possible?

We will be on the NCL Jade docking in Izmir May 25 from 8am to 5pm. We are interested only in sites in Ephesus relating to St. Paul, the Terrace Houses, and the House of the Virgin Mary. Do we have time as well given all this as well as the 2 hour r/t from Izmir, to spend some time at the Bazaar in Izmir?

I think it could be possible but it depends how long you want to spend at Mary's (it really doesn't need that much time) and if you want to forgo lunch. And do you want to purchase something specific or just spend time browsing. I also think you would need to (as we did) book a private tour just for yourselves. Adding other cruisers in makes it cheaper but will add to time taken. We recently toured Ephesus including the Terrace Houses, a bit of shopping at the bottom, lunch in Selcuk from 9am and returned to the ship at about 3pm I think. (With Ephesus Shuttle). I was tempted to stop at the markets but we were too tired. Also I think you would need to have the guide wait for you while you shopped as it is a bit of a way to get back to the ship if you are in a hurry.

Also be careful which tour company/guide you go with. Most insist you go to one of the carpet / leather shops (Ephesus Shuttle didn't).

Archived