Film Speed for Night Photography

When sailing around Hawaii, we should be able to see the lava flowing into the sea late at night. I'm planning on bringing the 500mm lens for my 36mm camera, but I'm not sure, which film speed to use. I'm usually a loyal user of the Fuji ISO 100 films, but they're definitely not going be adequate for this. I don't think even ISO 400 will be any good. Has anybody done this or has an idea what might work?

Not sure what type of lens you have, but you might try 400 with a tripod, it might work. Also there is ASA 800 you can use, and you might get away hand holding. Also it depends on the effects you want. But I would still bring a tripod.

Good Luck

We were on NCL PoA in July. Unfortunately, movement of the ship is enough that taking pictures is VERY difficult. I would use the telephoto, tripod, the fastest film you can get, and bracket a lot. Fuji makes a 1600. If you go to a good processor (maybe one at a camera store) they can "push process" your roll. That means shooting the 1600 film at 3200, and they apply special processing. As far as bracketing: I'd open the lens to max aperture, and then then shoot several different shutter speeds, and hope it comes out. You might try searching the internet a bit, and see if anyone has direct experience. All I had with me was my digital, and nothing really came out. Be sure to have binoculars on hand. Have fun!

Just a note to remember that film speeds over 800 (and some say even 400) ARE affected by the airport x-ray machines.

So plan to have your rolls developed prior to going thru airport security if you're using high speed film.

You can ask the TSA to hand check your film. I have had no problems doing this. They may not want to but they do. I had 50 rolls of film on our last cruise. Go a little early, we usually go 2 hours ahead of time. It took them 30 minutes to hand check my film. But they did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can ask the TSA to hand check your film. I have had no problems doing this. They may not want to but they do. I had 50 rolls of film on our last cruise. Go a little early, we usually go 2 hours ahead of time. It took them 30 minutes to hand check my film. But they did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I have heard and read about it..but I'll be only taking 400 and lower ASA for our upcoming cruise next week?!?!

50 rolls?!?! Wow, that's alot of film! For how long of a cruise and what did you shoot with? I haven't shot serious (semi-serious) stuff in a long while..trying to figure out what film(s) to take.

Archived