From Port to Bridgetown

mrsd2fan

We walked form the ship into bridgetown on a sunday in Feb 2009 it was a bit of an odd walk if you keep to the sea - the 1st part was really nice with pretty shrubs and a park like area and we went past a craft village which looked really great but was closed as it was a sunday. The road then turned into some back streets which were a bit odd and we never felt uncomfortable at all don't get me wrong but I wouldn't walk that way again. We then ended up near where the catamarans are in a kind of harbour area which was nice and not far from the centre of the town. It took us about 20 minutes and we had 3 kids aged 8,5,5 at the time - hope that helps.

We will be back there in 2 weeks time at the start of our cruise and have a day in Barbados at the end so hoping to do the walk to the craft market on that day and hopefully it will be open this time!:cool:

There is actually a boardwalk now and you can walk from the port to downtown along this board walk. All the while you will be seeing the beautiful Caribbean sea.

If we walk along that boardwalk, could we walk to Lobster Alive? Would it take around 20 minutes or much longer, walking at a nice pace?

Thanks for the info!

If we walk along that boardwalk, could we walk to Lobster Alive? Would it take around 20 minutes or much longer, walking at a nice pace?

Thanks for the info!

My wife and I took the $2 shuttlebus from the port and made the short walk to Lobster alive. We had a very nice relaxing day and would certainly recommend going there. We decided to walk back to cuise port and it took around 25 minutes.

Terry

Thanks for the info!

The boardwalk does not take you directly to Lobster Alive but you will not be very far away. Lobster alive is almost right next to the Boatyard.

Walking at a nice pace it should be about 20 minutes or even less.

The boardwalk does not take you directly to Lobster Alive but you will not be very far away. Lobster alive is almost right next to the Boatyard.

Walking at a nice pace it should be about 20 minutes or even less.

We will be there in April. We also want to walk from the port to Lobster Alive....is it easy to find our way to go there? Will we receive a map that shows us where it is? Do you how to go there by walking? Do I have to pass in front the Pelican village then just continue on the same road?

Thanks for helping me!

We will be there in April. We also want to walk from the port to Lobster Alive....is it easy to find our way to go there? Will we receive a map that shows us where it is? Do you how to go there by walking? Do I have to pass in front the Pelican village then just continue on the same road?

Thanks for helping me!

Yup...the board walk actually passes in front of Pelican village. It is quite easy to find your way to Lobster Alive its just basically walking along the length of the boardwalk. They maybe handing out maps at the port that maybe helpful but I don't believe they are necessary.

Hope this helps....If not please let me know of any clarification/further info you may need.:)

Yup...the board walk actually passes in front of Pelican village. It is quite easy to find your way to Lobster Alive its just basically walking along the length of the boardwalk. They maybe handing out maps at the port that maybe helpful but I don't believe they are necessary.

Hope this helps....If not please let me know of any clarification/further info you may need.:)

Thanks Keith! I think it helps! So if it is easy I should find my way...so I'll stay on the boardwalk, see the Pelican village then continue my way throught Lobster Alive. :)

Thank you! If you have thing I should not miss, don't hesitate to tell me!

Forgot to ask... as we exit the port, do we turn to the right ( or left?) and follow the boardwalk in that direction? Are there signs saying " this way to town" or something like that?

Thanks for your help!

Thanks Keith! I think it helps! So if it is easy I should find my way...so I'll stay on the boardwalk, see the Pelican village then continue my way throught Lobster Alive. :)

Thank you! If you have thing I should not miss, don't hesitate to tell me!

Yup...that' pretty much it in a nutshell.

There is a bridge you will have to cross over....its called the Chamberlain Bridge.(the boardwalk takes you onto this bridge) Once you cross this bridge you will be just a few minutes away from your destination.

Forgot to ask... as we exit the port, do we turn to the right ( or left?) and follow the boardwalk in that direction? Are there signs saying " this way to town" or something like that?

Thanks for your help!

On exiting the port you keep straight...no turns. There are some signs directing you to Bridgetown but just follow the boardwalk and you can't go wrong.

If in doubt stop and ask any of the locals you see and they will be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

On exiting the port you keep straight...no turns. There are some signs directing you to Bridgetown but just follow the boardwalk and you can't go wrong.

If in doubt stop and ask any of the locals you see and they will be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

BK you have been so helpful! Thank you for your clear replies!

Yup...that' pretty much it in a nutshell.

There is a bridge you will have to cross over....its called the Chamberlain Bridge.(the boardwalk takes you onto this bridge) Once you cross this bridge you will be just a few minutes away from your destination.

Thank you very much Keith!

Well....I wouldn't fancy walking it! I may have my bearings wrong but to get to Lobster Alive etc don't you have to walk to town, round the Careenage, over the main bridge & on towards Carlisle bay? Quite a distance I think.

Well....I wouldn't fancy walking it! I may have my bearings wrong but to get to Lobster Alive etc don't you have to walk to town, round the Careenage, over the main bridge & on towards Carlisle bay? Quite a distance I think.

You walk in the direction of Carlisle Bay but it(Lobster Alive) is not as far up the street as carlisle bay. Lobster Alive is less than 5 minutes walk after you hit the bridge which actually takes you over the careenage. Since the advent of the boardwalk you no longer have to circumvent the careenage

If you like to walk its not a great distance and can be done in the 20 minutes or even less depending on how quickly you walk.

You walk in the direction of Carlisle Bay but it(Lobster Alive) is not as far up the street as carlisle bay. Lobster Alive is less than 5 minutes walk after you hit the bridge which actually takes you over the careenage. Since the advent of the boardwalk you no longer have to circumvent the careenage

If you like to walk its not a great distance and can be done in the 20 minutes or even less depending on how quickly you walk.

I'll walk for sure...and will try to take another way to come back to the port. Walking, it's the best way to discover! Thanks again!

in Bridgtown what is there to see? Museums, historical, monuments, culture etc??? We can skip the live lobster plac. We never eat in port and the ship gives us enough food!

In Bridgetown they are quite a few historical buildings(mostly churches) and few monuments. On your way to Bridgetown you pass the Pelican Craft village where quite a few local artisans have their wares for sale.

In Bridgetown they are quite a few historical buildings(mostly churches) and few monuments. On your way to Bridgetown you pass the Pelican Craft village where quite a few local artisans have their wares for sale.

Sounds amazing! cannot wait!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Great directions and it certainly sounds easy enough. I think we will walk to Lobster Alive. BUT, if it turns out to be a blisteringly hot day we may take the $2 shuttle into town and walk to Lobster Alive from there. What would be the walking directions from the shuttle drop-off?

Thanks so much.

Molly

• 4 weeks later...

We are going to be on this beautiful island the first full week of February. Does anyone know the hours of the Pelican Craft Village? I love buying local goods and items unique to the the port of call. Any suggestions on what to keep a look out for?

Archived