Behind The Fun Tour Questions

Joe1028

Our group of 6 are very interested in the Behind the Fun Tour when we sail on the Destiny in February:

1. One in our group has bad knees, is there allot of stair climbing or can the areas be reached by elevator?

2. I can't find the Tour on line so my assumption is that we need to book as soon as we get on board... is my assumption correct?

3. How much is the Tour?

Thanks

Our group of 6 are very interested in the Behind the Fun Tour when we sail on the Destiny in February:

1. One in our group has bad knees, is there allot of stair climbing or can the areas be reached by elevator?

2. I can't find the Tour on line so my assumption is that we need to book as soon as we get on board... is my assumption correct?

3. How much is the Tour?

Thanks

1. Lot of stairs and walking, I would not recommend it for the one with bad knees.

2. Book it once you are onboard as it is limited to 32 folks broken down into two tours of 16 each.

3. $55 on Fantasy class ships and $95 on other class ships. You do get more photos, able to see more, and extra items with the higher priced tour.

Dave

My DD and I did the tour on the Splendor in August. I have severe arthritis in one of my knees and stairs are difficult for me, but I was able to do the tour. I made sure I wore comfortable shoes and used the handrails going up and down the stairs. There are lots of stops between trips up and down stairs, so time for me to baby my knee a bit. For me, it was a priority to do the tour, so I figured I'd just deal with the extra pain--I was, of course, pleased it wasn't as much as I expected! :)

I did it on the Spirit and yes lots of walking and lots of stairs. Some of the stairs are for crew and they are steep & narrow. Not like the stairs you are used to in the guest areas. But there were people on our tour that had bad knees and they wait for you. I have muscular dystrophy and climbing stairs can be difficult for me but I managed. Just take your time and you'll be fine. You are often near a door to the public area if you just can't take it, I'm sure the tour guide will let you leave.

You sign up for it on embarkation day at the excursion desk. I paid $95/pp for a 4 & half hour tour.

DH and I did this tour on the Fantasy two years ago. We both liked it. I have "bad knees" too and managed to climb steps. Lots of just standing still too. That is hard on the knees. To me it was a bucket-list thing and once was enough. Just loved the honey almond cookies that were waiting for us in our room afterwards. To die for!!!

You'll have to decide for yourself, but there is definately lots of steep stairs.

. You are often near a door to the public area if you just can't take it, I'm sure the tour guide will let you leave.

Yes, they will. DD wasn't feeling well toward the end of the cruise (we were on the bridge) and the guide took her to the public hallway while we were talking with the captain. At the Steakhouse made sure I got DD's backpack and other goodies to take back to the cabin for her and she got her photos from the tour as well. :)

I did the behind the fun tour on Dream last week.

You must wear closed-toe shoes. No sport sandals.

We were asked to hand over any cameras or recording devices, and then got wanded by security. Our tour guide carried the cameras with him.

We did not have bathroom breaks, and there is a lot of standing. A spot to sit for 15 min about half-way thru.

But I'm bitter - they delivered a plate of chocolate covered strawberries to our room afterwards, and my daughter (who was not on the tour) ate most of them. She just thought it was really nice of our room steward!

Does any body know do they require a certain kind of footwear like no flip flops or open toed shoes. Thanks

As Colorado Kat indicated, no open toes shoes/flip flops. You will get instructions along with your tickets of what you can & can't do. Also as C-Kat said, they do wand you so don't attempt to bring a cell phone or camera cuz they will find it.

This sounds very interesting, but does anyone know what is included in the Fascination tour? Just trying to justify the monies, $55 - soso, but $95 alittle steep-in my oppinion for a tour of the ship.

I really enjoyed it. Some parts were not the most fascinating but there were parts of it that I had no idea about such as laundry. They had a machine that take wet sheets and it drys them, irons them & folds them and it comes out the other side. Matter of seconds. It was really cool. We got to see all the food lockers/storage areas, the crew club and eating facilities etc. Worth the money to me. Plus we got to go on the bridge and talk to the captain and get pictures taken with the captain.

I really enjoyed it. Some parts were not the most fascinating but there were parts of it that I had no idea about such as laundry. They had a machine that take wet sheets and it drys them' date=' irons them & folds them and it comes out the other side. Matter of seconds. It was really cool. We got to see all the food lockers/storage areas, the crew club and eating facilities etc. Worth the money to me. Plus we got to go on the bridge and talk to the captain and get pictures taken with the captain.[/quote']

Thanks for this information. I know for me, this doesn't sound very interesting, but I will find something interesting about it and will enjoy it. As for DH, he will really be interested in this no questions asked. I just want to justify the cost that is all.

But I do agree that getting to see "the behind the scenes" is most likely worth it.

we just got off the Fascination Monday and we did the tour on her. It was $55 and yes it was around 9 A.M. on the last sea day. We got to see the Main Galley, Laundry, Crew Training center and Mess. Also seen the Engine Control Room, all the food and beverage coolers. The Famous "I-95" that runs the legnth of the ship. The garbage/recycling area. Behind the stage area. Crew Bar/Lounge area. We went out on the front area of the ship almost all the way forward. The Bridge and had a brief Q & A w/ the Captain and pics with him as well. No open toed shoes! I reccomend sneakers as there is a good bit of walking involved. At the end we got a hat, wristband, lanyard all that said behind the fun. We also had a pastry and our pic w/ the Captain delivered later.

Also be sure you leave the cell phones and cameras or any other electronics in the room as they will be confiscatedand given back at the end of the tour. You will also be wanded with a metal detector by security b-4 the tour begins.

Def worth it for $55 and may do it again in May w/ my father-in-law. I would like to do it on a larger ship but $95 may be a little steep.

Just off the Legend and did the "Behind the Fun" tour. We loved it. The seas were very rough and it was hard for some in the group to do the steps. You definitely need some non-slip shoes as it is very slippery in the galleys. The trip to the bridge was worth it all. What a view! And the bonus was the goodies they sent to the cabin:)!

I did the $55 tour on the 4 day cruise. It started at 8:30 on the last sea day and lasted until 12. We got a hat, lanyard, tour group picture with captain on the bridge, and a plate with 4 strawberries and 2 bite size cakes. I thought it was well worth the money, very interesting. It did state the minimum age to be 8, but I think, atleast for my kids, that they'd be bored with the tour.

we just got off the Fascination Monday and we did the tour on her. It was $55 and yes it was around 9 A.M. on the last sea day. We got to see the Main Galley, Laundry, Crew Training center and Mess. Also seen the Engine Control Room, all the food and beverage coolers. The Famous "I-95" that runs the legnth of the ship. The garbage/recycling area. Behind the stage area. Crew Bar/Lounge area. We went out on the front area of the ship almost all the way forward. The Bridge and had a brief Q & A w/ the Captain and pics with him as well. No open toed shoes! I reccomend sneakers as there is a good bit of walking involved. At the end we got a hat, wristband, lanyard all that said behind the fun. We also had a pastry and our pic w/ the Captain delivered later.

Also be sure you leave the cell phones and cameras or any other electronics in the room as they will be confiscatedand given back at the end of the tour. You will also be wanded with a metal detector by security b-4 the tour begins.

Def worth it for $55 and may do it again in May w/ my father-in-law. I would like to do it on a larger ship but $95 may be a little steep.

Thanks for this information. I know that hubby will be very interested in this so if all works out I will schedule this for him.

I realized after buying our tickets for the tour on the Freedom that I didn't pack tennis or closed toe shoes. I wanted to show off my beautiful pedicure :) I did have water shoes and was able to wear those on the tour. We got to see backstage, crew areas (all the cabins were full so we didn't see an actual cabin), engine control room, crew dining and recreation areas (bathroom and snack break), bridge for picture with group and captain, bow of ship by ship's bell, storage areas, really large cold storage area (no they won't let us take some beer or wine as a free gift :mad:). We also visited the galley and steakhouse. We received a soap carving of a swan. Our gifts included a lanyard, backpack, baseball cap, and rubber bracelet. It was very interesting and definitely worth doing. We had chocolate covered strawberries as our stateroom treat.

Archived