Trying to decide... Haven't been on Carnival since 1995!

airlinerob

I took my first cruise on the Carnival Fantasy in 1995, and it was one of the worst vacation experiences I've ever been on. So much so, that I vouched never to travel on a cruise or on Carnival again. The ship was like a huge frat party.

About 3 years later, I took a cruise on Royal Caribbean, and really enjoyed it. I followed that cruise with several Royal Caribbean and Celebrity cruises - all which were wonderful.

I've been very loyal to RCCL and Celebrity (I'm a Platinum member on RCCL), and I've had a few NCL cruises as well. I've yet to return to Carnival.

I have thought of trying out one of the new ships like the Carnival Dream. I have talked to a lot of people who cruise, and it seems that they all either love or hate Carnival. Some people tell me stories like my story back in 1995, and others say it isn't like that anymore.

I'm trying to get your feedback. I really love Royal Caribbean, but I've been very disappointed in their food service recently. I hear nothing but wonderful things about the food on Carnival.

Has anyone else sailed on both? Can you give your opinions?

Thanks!

Haven't sailed RCCL yet, primarily because I have always been happy with Carnival (and I wouldn't if it had the frat party feel!). The shorter cruises seem to attract the younger crowd, and it also depends on the time of year you sail. Since we always cruise when kids are in school, we avoid any chance;) But we even cruised Miracle out of NY last year when many colleges were out and no sign of frat party atmosphere (it was an 8 day cruise). Carnival is not the crazy party line it was once known as.

I have not sailed the Dream yet, and in no hurry to because I like the Spirit Class ships so much (Legend, Miracle, Pride, Spirit), but I imagine the time will come....

Try it...I think you will be pleasantly surprised...especially if you cruise longer and when school is in session!;)

I've sailed carnival 3 times and once on RCCL, and I was not impressed with RCCL. I was glad i did not pay for the trip. My mother loved sailing Carnival, and had gone on party boats (probably what you had done) back in the 90's, and did longer trips the last few times she went. I've been on only 5+ days, except for RCCL, which could be why I didnt care for it. Anyways, yes, Carnival doesnt have as much going on as RCCL does, but I'm on vacation to relax, not run from one activity to the next. Anyways, I've been on the Imagination, Liberty and Spirit, love all of them, and considering several more, hopefully the Spirit again before she heads to Australia!

Best advice would be a 7-day or longer sailing & when college kids are in school. I noticed some raunchy behavior on the Conquest out of Galveston, but it wasn't too horrible. I get turned off by that kind of behavior too, and I've been very happy with Carnival, obviously from my signature. I started in 2003. I enjoy the family atmosphere, and Carnival seems to really foster that, especially on my cruises out of Florida.

we have cruised Carnival, RCCL and Celebrity. Loved them all. We usually cruise Carnival for the price and because we truly enjoy the ships. Our best cruise was a carnival cruise on the Liberty that went to Colon, Costa Rica and Cozumel. It was 8 days during the height of Spring Break but because of the length and itinerary there were actually very few Spring Breakers aboard. Only time I noticed them at all was during the liquor tasting at the shops LOL

I took my first cruise on the Carnival Fantasy in 1995, and it was one of the worst vacation experiences I've ever been on. So much so, that I vouched never to travel on a cruise or on Carnival again. The ship was like a huge frat party.

About 3 years later, I took a cruise on Royal Caribbean, and really enjoyed it. I followed that cruise with several Royal Caribbean and Celebrity cruises - all which were wonderful.

I've been very loyal to RCCL and Celebrity (I'm a Platinum member on RCCL), and I've had a few NCL cruises as well. I've yet to return to Carnival.

I have thought of trying out one of the new ships like the Carnival Dream. I have talked to a lot of people who cruise, and it seems that they all either love or hate Carnival. Some people tell me stories like my story back in 1995, and others say it isn't like that anymore.

I'm trying to get your feedback. I really love Royal Caribbean, but I've been very disappointed in their food service recently. I hear nothing but wonderful things about the food on Carnival.

Thanks!

I cruise carnival, NCL and RCCL, and I can tell you that IMO the atmosphere on one is the same as on the other two. The real difference is that NCL has the best food, and Carnival the worst.

Back in 1994, I sailed on the Tropicale, and at that time, I also swore that I would NEVER sail on Carnival again.

Fast forward now to 2011. Not only did I cruise again, but I've sailed on them 12 times. Some have been absolutely wonderful, others not so much.

My thoughts are that 7 night itineraries on newer ships provide the best Carnival experience. Shorter cruises are hit or miss. Some have been great, some not so much.

We did our first cruise on carnival when we got married back in 1976 and fell in love with crusing we went from time to time and even on different cruise lines. We still like Carnival the most. We went cruising and then kids came along, took the kids on a few cruises like Disney then decided to have another baby 13 years after our last one, so we started all over again. Youngest is a freshman in College so now we can go cruising again. We did the dream this past summer which is where our son got married in st thomas while we all went on the cruise for the week. Its a great ship (The Dream) a lot of people but it was in july, prime time to take kids. We booked another cruise for this may on the Liberty. We like going in May because there are not many kids, too close to the end of the school year to take kids out for a cruise. We dont care for the college kids, though I will admit the college kids are not as bad as they used to be where they would get drunk all the time. Now we see "old" people get drunk from time to time. Ships are big so you can get away from people like that. Book one of the carnival ships and see how much fun you will have..no doubt you will be addicted also. We reach Platinum in may and we are looking forward to it!

Carnival has evolved over the years, but you still have to be selective about WHICH cruise you do with them.

Shorter cruises do seem to have more of a "party" theme....

If you are thinking about the Dream, that should be fine as long as you cruise when school is in session.

A word of caution...IF you decide to cruise with Carnival, it is going to be easy to dilute your experience with constant comparisons.

Just go and enjoy...and if you don't enjoy....that's fine as well.

No cruise line is for every person.

maybe it's because i'm a bit younger, but i wish i could find a cruise that was like a frat party. both my cruises have been 90% old people

You need to try Carnival during Spring Break. Or better yet NCL. The food sucks on NCL and the Rooms are not all that clean but hey, those young Folks can party and NCL will let them as long as they do not break anything. So, try Spring break but you get better Service with Carnival.

I cruise carnival, NCL and RCCL, and I can tell you that IMO the atmosphere on one is the same as on the other two. The real difference is that NCL has the best food, and Carnival the worst.

Really? I've been on NCL, and other than the specialty restaurants, I haven't been happy with their food at all.

Thanks!

Hi Airlinerob,

Interestingly enough, I got my start to cruising on RCCL and have not returned since my two initial cruises. The difference to me, between RCCL and CCL is strictly pricing, décor, cabin sizes and clientele. Carnival is hit or miss at best, as with any cruise line or resort. I find that with the longer itineraries on CCL and the larger class ships, (Spirit, Conquest, Destiny, etc.,), staying away from the Fantasy class ships, I have always had a great vacation experience. The food, the service and the ships entertainment choices have always kept me going back to Carnival, as well as the lower pricing. I say try your hand starting with a longer cruise 7 days or more and see what happens. I don't think you can go wrong with giving it another try. I will be honest, having been on Holland America it was a hard bite going back to Carnival, however, had it not been for the 9-day European itinerary, I probably wouldn't be and it's not because ALL of my Carnival experinces were negative, but a different level of service and different class of service I experienced on HAL. Nevertheless, I am excited about returning to Carnival and crusing the new Magic in September.

Archived