Just out of curiosity

WATB

Hi All

………I’d love to hear your comments please

I’ve only ever cruised with P&O on weekenders, 2 on Aurora and 1 on Arcadia. Aurora we found fabulous, great food, service, shows but Arcadia was the complete opposite below average food, appalling shows and pretty naff service. Could this just be a one off ? Do they use the weekenders to swop over crews or something like that ? Could that explain such a difference in standards ? Not all moans about Arcadia, it does have a fabulous spa which we loved :)

We’ve now booked a 7 night trip on Ventura and I was wondering if we’re in for a treat as with our Aurora experience or should we be prepared for some things to be rough around the edges ?

We're not expecting 5 star but hoping for a good 4 star :D

Aurora is a traditional ship whereas Arcadia is more contemporary - which we prefer. She is our favourite P&O ship and we have done many cruises on her, including a very long one last year. Ventura is more modern and perhaps less formal, but does have an awful lot to offer. She is of course much larger so you must expect a lot more passengers.

Regarding the weekenders, I think the crew are very rushed as everyone wants to make the most of every minute so they are not truly representative of cruising in general.

Everyone likes different things so you can only really judge by trying for yourself, but I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Cheers for your thoughts Cruiseluvva

I think the informality of Ventura will be appealing to my hubby so that's a plus.................some of the Ventura reviews I've read are astonishingly bad....just makes me a little uncomfortable. We're going for the itinerary really but also want to have a pleasant atmosphere whilst on board..........just don't want a repeat of the disappointment we felt when we left the Arcadia.

Still too late now, we're booked and we'll have to make the most of it......hope it doesn't put my hubby off cruising completely as he hasn't done it before :(

I've done four or five weekenders now ,as recently as the last one on Aurora about 6 weeks ago, and the service is NOTHING like a real cruise I can assure you.

If my last cruise on Aurora on a weekender was my FIRST cruise I would probably never cruise again on her...so , you see, every day on a ship for every passenger is different.

We never saw our room steward once on the last weekender, not even in the corridor. The waiters gave very poor service, the food was very average with small portions. On a longer cruise of 7n + your waiters will introduce themselves to you,remember your likes and dislikes and ensure you have a good time (they want that tip!) on a short 2 nighter they don't bother as much as they know the tips will be very small if atall.

Enjoy your longer cruise I bet you will find it nothing like a weekender. And I too loved Arcadia , so it just goes to prove no cruise is the same, there will be different waiters serving you, some are better than others, the head chef could well be different so the food and menus good be better than your weekenders, the shows more varied,and the cruiseentertainment director would be different, it goes on.

Just Enjoy:)

Like the other replies - I agree that you cannot judge any ship or line by 2 night cruises. Not only is the passenger base very different (lots of party cruisers and hen/stag parties etc) but the crew do not have the time to invest in getting to know you, your likes and dislikes etc. And the bottom line is that any cruise is what you put into it as much as what you get out of it. Go to enjoy and you probably will!

I think with reviews people make more of an effort to leave a bad review, where if they had a good time they don't tend to leave a review.

I don't read them myself, I would rather look at pictures of the ship and when the big day comes and you go on the ship you can judge everything for yourself.

And I love the ventura but i don't have alot to compare it to!

Cheers Everyone J …….your comments have made me feel whole lot better and I'm very grateful to you for taking the time to reply. I’ve been trying to concentrate on the positives even after reading such negative reviews. The pictures and videos I’ve seen on Youtube look fab and really don’t show it as being tatty and tired.

We’re just normal folk, who’ve little experience of cruising so just being on the ship for a bit longer will be fun. We’re not paying Ritz prices so don’t expect those standards but on the flip side we’re not paying Butlin’s prices either so really expect something better.

We’ve only just booked, so I just can’t stop reading anything I can find on Ventura including all those bad reviews !!……it just puts a downer on your mood when you’re so excited and then you find others are slating it ……….but you’ve cheered me up no end and I’m now really looking forward to seeing what real cruising is all about. Cannot wait to go now J

WATB, we had the most fantastic time on Ventura, (first time on P&O) Transatlantic Oct/Nov. I too was slightly worried but we found the ship is beautiful, clean, crew is fantastic and cannot do enough for you, cabins extremely comfortable with excellent room service and tea and coffee/biscuits well stocked. For the record, (seeing as you mentioned star ratings) we usually stay in 4/5 star hotels and have previously cruised Princess and RC.

The nights on board were so enjoyable; so much to do and we don't normally do shows or entertainment. We met some great people and can't wait to do it all again on Azura. The sun bed problem is exacerbated by the very same people complaining about it. They are so territorial that they are reserving whole areas of sunbeds, not just 1 or 2! We always enjoyed sitting at the tables on deck at Breakers Bar all morning, lunch outdoors at the aft terrace pool, then headed up to deck 19 next to the bungee, where it is surprisingly peaceful with lots of empty sunbeds well spaced apart. 3000+ people on deck on sea days is never going to be anything but hectic, but it is easy to avoid the worst of it.

Once you learn to avoid the whingers you'll have a great time. :D

WATB we recently did the transatlantic on the Oceana and there were negative reports regarding tattyness etc,we had the family holiday of our dreams as for tatty obviously there are sad people out there with nothing better to do than nit pick and we met some of them onboard but did they spoil it for us NAAAA,we cant wait til the next cruise onboard one of those tatty ships.;)

Hi All

I’ve only ever cruised with P&O on weekenders, 2 on Aurora and 1 on Arcadia. Aurora we found fabulous, great food, service, shows but Arcadia was the complete opposite below average food, appalling shows and pretty naff service. Could this just be a one off ? Do they use the weekenders to swop over crews or something like that ? Could that explain such a difference in standards ? Not all moans about Arcadia, it does have a fabulous spa which we loved :)

We’ve now booked a 7 night trip on Ventura and I was wondering if we’re in for a treat as with our Aurora experience or should we be prepared for some things to be rough around the edges ?

Interestingly we had a good short (3 night) cruise on Arcadia last September. Our cabin steward was a bit silent, but we had good service in the restaurant and the food seemed fine to us. No worse than on Ventura, on which we'\ve cruised twice so far with a third one booked for this year. Here's a link to my blog - have a look at the panels on the r-hand side for links to reviews of these and other cruises.

I've sailed on Princess Ships, Cunard and P and O lines... but never been on a good ship apparently. HOwever, I loved The GRand Princess which apparently is so old it's about to sink and Azura which has apparently no atmosphere - but I loved that too... Was not quite so keen on the CUnard ship but that was the clientelle... it was like hanging out in a funeral home... full of old people on zimmers sleeping in the main rooms most of the time... but if you're an old person on a zimmer and want to sleep all day you'd be in good company. I wouldn't want to go on a less formal liner as I love, love, love, formal nights...

I find all cruises a little tacky but love the ease of travel that cruising gives you. Once the little one is slightly older I may try Seabourne but Heyho you do what works for you at the time...

I've decided if a ship has a rubbish review I'll probably love it.;)

Bx

Friend of mine been on 5 cruises on VENTURA in 3yrs,loves it.

Another family we know all went on it last year,first cruise and loved it.

We love ARCADIA.

We went on AZURA last year, loved it as well.

If you go and want to find fault you probably will but if you go and are going to enjoy it you definately will.treat the staff as you would like to be treated yourself and you will get good service and they will look after you and smile as they do so.:D

You will always get the moaners but it keeps them going i suppose:mad:

Go with an open mind and enjoy:cool:

Friend of mine been on 5 cruises on VENTURA in 3yrs,loves it.

Another family we know all went on it last year,first cruise and loved it.

We love ARCADIA.

We went on AZURA last year, loved it as well.

If you go and want to find fault you probably will but if you go and are going to enjoy it you definately will.treat the staff as you would like to be treated yourself and you will get good service and they will look after you and smile as they do so.:D

You will always get the moaners but it keeps them going i suppose:mad:

Go with an open mind and enjoy:cool:

I agree 100% with you. A holiday is what you make it, go to have a good time and you will!

Just wanted to say another thank you for everyone's reassuring comments. Its so good to get another perspective rather than the view of travellers who P&O or Ventura does not suit too well.

Don't get me wrong, I've read good reviews of this ship too, from the easier to please crowd, perhaps people with more realistic expectations and gladly I think that we fit into that bunch ........it just seems as though the moaners have such strong views, they shout louder and longer than those who've had a good experience.......but then that's human nature I guess.

I'm still addicted to reviews though, but now I'll read between the lines and just pick out the tips which are good to know before you go ............is it too early to start counting down yet ???? :)

Great !! :):) That's the cruise sorted, now for the clothes shopping !! ........first time we've been away for a week where there hasn't been a luggage limit .........I'm going enjoy packing for this one :D

Hi All

I’ve only ever cruised with P&O on weekenders, 2 on Aurora and 1 on Arcadia. Aurora we found fabulous, great food, service, shows but Arcadia was the complete opposite below average food, appalling shows and pretty naff service. Could this just be a one off ? Do they use the weekenders to swop over crews or something like that ? Could that explain such a difference in standards ? Not all moans about Arcadia, it does have a fabulous spa which we loved

Arcadia is not my favourite ship :(

However, I have done two cruises on her. A transatlantic repositioning and half a worldie, Southampton to Singapore (wouldn't bother with a weekend or 3/4 day cruise, they are not the same I understand)

My daughter and son in law didn't rate Arcadia much the first time they went on her,...........

BUT .......:D they are on her now doing the present World Cruise ..........:D

AND ..................

telephoned us the other night from the Futures Desk on board 'would we look after their house and business again NEXT YEAR?' as they have booked the 2012 World Cruise!! :rolleyes:

Arcadia sorts of grows on you :rolleyes:

Mike

Archived