good upgrade choice?

Jenn24101

My husband and I are sailing on the Dream in March....I got an upgrade email for best available in category for $40. I called to find out more...we were in an 8A on deck 6, and ended up moving to an 8E I think, deck 10. I had been a bit concerned about being on deck 6, right above the promenade, I didn't know if people would be watching us like zoo animals on our balcony :) and deck 10 seemed safer that way, not to mention we are now between cabins above and below. Except now we are WAY forward on the ship, is that bad? She said it was convenient to be on the same deck as the buffet but it is opposite ends of the ship, how far is that really on the dream, will it be too far to want to go get food and bring it back to our balcony?

Anyway, even though it was $40, we still have $180 OBC from previous price drops, and the current price is $200 pp higher, so still much less than we paid for our original booking, so I am happy with the price, just wanted to make sure I didn't pick a bad location!

We are pretty new to cruising (have been on Princess 5 years ago) so I wouldn't be surprised if we made some rookie mistake with the room change :D

You don't indicate what your room # is, I don't know if I'd want a room near the elevator or high traffic area exiting to the Lido deck. As far as deck location, it is perfect. We always book our staterooms on the Lido deck as far forward as possible. The location provides quick access to the common areas on the Lido deck and the buffet. Running out for coffee, juice, sandwiches, etc., is quick and easy. If you bring hot food back to your stateroom, it actually stays warm...no waiting for elevators or running up and down stairs. Also, your elevators will provide quick access to Deck 0 when in ports of call. The only challenge will be if you are assigned the aft dining room for dinner. The easiest way to get there from the Lido deck is to use the elevators in the aft of the Lido Deck so you would walk thru the buffet area in the evening to get to these elevators.

You don't indicate what your room # is, I don't know if I'd want a room near the elevator or high traffic area exiting to the Lido deck. As far as deck location, it is perfect. We always book our staterooms on the Lido deck as far forward as possible. The location provides quick access to the common areas on the Lido deck and the buffet. Running out for coffee, juice, sandwiches, etc., is quick and easy. If you bring hot food back to your stateroom, it actually stays warm...no waiting for elevators or running up and down stairs. Also, your elevators will provide quick access to Deck 0 when in ports of call. The only challenge will be if you are assigned the aft dining room for dinner. The easiest way to get there from the Lido deck is to use the elevators in the aft of the Lido Deck so you would walk thru the buffet area in the evening to get to these elevators.

we are room 10225, we are doing the flexible dining, does that use a specific dining room that we would know already? Sounds great being able to easily bring food and drinks, etc back easily....I think we will really take advantage of our balcony more in this room.

we are room 10225, we are doing the flexible dining, does that use a specific dining room that we would know already? Sounds great being able to easily bring food and drinks, etc back easily....I think we will really take advantage of our balcony more in this room.

I agree with one of the other comments about being on a quieter deck with less people. However, I find the higher up you are the more movement of the ship you feel. While deck 6 was overlooking the Lanaii, I personally would have stayed there. The suites are on deck 7 for a reason - it is the most mid-ship and the most stable part of the ship. While I think you should be fine, for future reference, when you get the upgrade call, consider all options. All upgrades aren't really upgrades unless it's a stateroom upgrade...again, this is my opinion after 10 or so cruises.

Archived