Cruise Review POA Dec 11-18 sailing with PHOTOS

grenouille123

Thanks for the review and the great photos. We are sailing on the 29th and trying to get all the last minute info we can. I hadn't realized the ship sailed so close to the Napali Coast so we will definitely head for the Waikiki Bar that afternoon! We're also taking a helicopter tour at on Kauai--glad we booked it after seeing your photos.

The helicopter flight on Kauai was definitely the highlight of the trip! It was quite a bit of money for us but we are so glad we did it!

When you leave Kauai, keep an eye out for whales! The ship then heads out and gets close to the coast again when we reach the Napali coast a bit before 5pm (even if it says 5:40pm on the daily).

I think they were zoomed in on Napali because when I was on the Pride of Hawaii in 2007 we weren't that close. It is still a beautiful sight even if its a distance away, you could still see beaches & caves etc. Looks like the weather was cooperating for OP that day as they are some beautiful pics.

We were actually quite close to the coast so your comment makes me think we were lucky - the captain must have been in a good mood! :D

The pictures weren't zoomed in much if at all. I just double checked and they were taken with my little Olympus underwater camera, which has a very pitiful zoom!

Thank you so much for your review and your amazing pictures. With two months to go until our cruise, your review couldn't have come at a better time! I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the Captain Zodiac snorkel as we have that booked ourselves.

I've been contemplating buying a couple of short-sleeved wetsuits for this trip and I think your mentioning how glad you were to have them has helped make up my mind. I'm not fond of chilly water in general and the more I read the more I think this would be a wise investment for me if I want to enjoy the snorkeling we have planned!

Loved your review and pictures!!!! We are counting the days...We leave for Hawaii May 15, 2011.

We love to hike and could you help me find the guide you used for the Kilauea Ike Trail. I appreciate your help and look forward to printing it off for our trip.

Thank you!!!

Kim

Loved your review and pictures!!!! We are counting the days...We leave for Hawaii May 15, 2011.

We love to hike and could you help me find the guide you used for the Kilauea Ike Trail. I appreciate your help and look forward to printing it off for our trip.

Thank you!!!

Kim

Hi Kim,

This is the link to the Kilauea Iki trail guide:

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/upload/kilauea_iki_trail_guide_web.pdf

It was a very nice hike. We did the trail backwards (from number 15 down to number 1) and think it might have been an easier way to do the track. We did the switchbacks through the rainforest heading down to the crater floor. Then it was a steeper but shorter hike back up the bank.

Can you give me some info on how easy or difficult it was to get back into the boat after snorkeling? Is there a ladder to use or do you have to pull yourself over the side?

Thanks!

Yes, the zodiac had a ladder so it was quite easy to get back on. The captain and assistant also offered help if required so it shouldn't be a problem!

Enjoyed your review and pictures...brought back lots of good memories. Thanks for posting.

Glad to hear that :) Your review was wonderful when I was planning the trip and you definitely inspired me to write a review myself (although much shorter!).

Thank you so much for your review and your amazing pictures. With two months to go until our cruise, your review couldn't have come at a better time! I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the Captain Zodiac snorkel as we have that booked ourselves.

I've been contemplating buying a couple of short-sleeved wetsuits for this trip and I think your mentioning how glad you were to have them has helped make up my mind. I'm not fond of chilly water in general and the more I read the more I think this would be a wise investment for me if I want to enjoy the snorkeling we have planned!

Great, glad I could help! I'm sure you will love the Captain Zodiac snorkel - it's probably the best snorkeling trip we've ever been on.

Kona: We did the Captain Zodiac snorkelling trip. We booked directly with Captain Zodiac for the 8am tour. We went to the Champagne bar at about 7am and got on the first tender. I don’t think we should have worried about making the first tender because there were many zodiacs there taking people as they were ready. We really enjoyed the tour. The zodiacs go quite fast so it was very exciting and very good for people who get seasick like I do. We were also able to catch up to other slower boats and got to the snorkelling spot before them, which was nice. We stopped to check out a pod of spinner dolphins on the way and we loved seeing them jump around us.

PC160021.JPG

There were no whales to be seen that day so we went straight to Captain Cook monument. We had 90 minutes to explore the area and we had about half an hour before the big boat arrived so we were told which spot to explore whilst it was quiet. The snorkelling was excellent with great visibility and lots of fish.

School of sleepy raccoon butterflyfish:

PC160048.JPG

PC160091.JPG

There were so many yellow tangs:

We came back to the zodiac after about 80 minutes of exploring and enjoyed chips, cookies and pineapple before leaving. We had a look at the caves along the coast on the way back and the zodiacs were able to go inside some of them, which was very cool.

Goddess Pele looking unhappy:

We had lunch on the ship and headed back out to shore in the afternoon. We just walked along the main street and stopped at a nice little place where we had a Kona cappuccino followed by some shave ice. Overall a great day.

Did zodiac pick you up at the port ? or did you have to drive to the location ? did you book direct with zodiac ? thanks sounds like so much fun :)

Did zodiac pick you up at the port ? or did you have to drive to the location ? did you book direct with zodiac ? thanks sounds like so much fun :)

Kona is a tender port so you catch a tender to Kona pier and that's where the tour leaves from - couldn't be any easier!

Yes, we booked directly with Captain Zodiac (online). The same tour is also offered through NCL but it costs more when booking with them ($20-$30 more per person).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived