Snorkeling off beach v/s out off boat

clashley

:confused: We will be visiting for the first time in April and hear their are great opportunities for snorkeling at this port. We are wondering if we can opt for a beach day and simply snorkel this way... or if we really need to do a boat excursion for a good snorkeling experience. Any of your shared experiences are much appreciated!

Here is the deal in Cozumel...there are either 'beaches' as most of us know them or snorkeling places...A place with a sandy walk into beach will not have any good snorkeling. A place with what is known as an 'iron shore' beach will have the best snorkeling. There is a huge difference on this island! If you want a good snorkel place you should try the Money Bar or Playa Uvas or Corona Beach...the only really good places for a decent snorkel from the shore. Oh, there is another and I can't think of the name...They will either have steps into the water or you will need to wear water shoes or have really tough feet! Other beaches in Coz are sandy beaches like most other places you would typically think of 'beach' but have no reef to look at for snorkeling. The 'iron shore' places I mentioned have some area of soft sand and lounge chairs available as well, just not right up to the water walk up area... A great website to list what you can find at each beach in cozumel is found at www.cozumelinsider.com/BEACHES you can find a list of all of the beaches and how good the snorkel is there and also if they have a restaurant/bar/bathrooms/lockers/other etc... very helpful. Also, Can't remember the web site but on 'Bing' when I type in Cozumel interactive map (or beach map) it will take you to a beach map with most beach clubs listed and what they offer/pics/reviews etc.. also most helpful...Good luck! Hope that is most helpful!

• 2 months later...
Here is the deal in Cozumel...there are either 'beaches' as most of us know them or snorkeling places...A place with a sandy walk into beach will not have any good snorkeling. A place with what is known as an 'iron shore' beach will have the best snorkeling. There is a huge difference on this island! If you want a good snorkel place you should try the Money Bar or Playa Uvas or Corona Beach...the only really good places for a decent snorkel from the shore. Oh, there is another and I can't think of the name...They will either have steps into the water or you will need to wear water shoes or have really tough feet! Other beaches in Coz are sandy beaches like most other places you would typically think of 'beach' but have no reef to look at for snorkeling. The 'iron shore' places I mentioned have some area of soft sand and lounge chairs available as well, just not right up to the water walk up area... A great website to list what you can find at each beach in cozumel is found at www.cozumelinsider.com/BEACHES you can find a list of all of the beaches and how good the snorkel is there and also if they have a restaurant/bar/bathrooms/lockers/other etc... very helpful. Also, Can't remember the web site but on 'Bing' when I type in Cozumel interactive map (or beach map) it will take you to a beach map with most beach clubs listed and what they offer/pics/reviews etc.. also most helpful...Good luck! Hope that is most helpful!

thanks for this link on the beaches. I haven't explored all of the site yet, but it looks very informational. :)

We're done both. The snorkel from the boat that we did on our first cruise was terrible. Not too many fish and no good reef to speak of. On our last cruise, we went to Playa Uvas and it was much better with the addition of the beach, pool, bar, massage etc. We had a great time. This year we're going to try our luck at Money Bar. We've found that the snorkeling in Coz is just OK when compared to Belize or Roatan. Maybe, we just haven't hit the right spots.

We went to the Money Bar last year and it was really good. We will go back again this year. All the boat tours bring the snorkel groups here on one of their stops. They don't come ashore so we basically had the place to ourselves while we were there. They stay about 30 minutes and leave. They pay $$ for the tour but if you take a taxi to the Money Bar you can snorkel free. They just ask that you buy food or drinks. They have a really nice place. Clean bathrooms, lockers, snorkel rental, good food, massages, chairs and tables and I think you can rent other stuff too. They also have a web site. I think it is www.moneybarbeachclub.com

We went to the Money Bar last year and it was really good. We will go back again this year. All the boat tours bring the snorkel groups here on one of their stops. They don't come ashore so we basically had the place to ourselves while we were there. They stay about 30 minutes and leave. They pay $$ for the tour but if you take a taxi to the Money Bar you can snorkel free. They just ask that you buy food or drinks. They have a really nice place. Clean bathrooms, lockers, snorkel rental, good food, massages, chairs and tables and I think you can rent other stuff too. They also have a web site. I think it is www.moneybarbeachclub.com

Do you remember the cost to rent the snorkeling equipment?

I also plan on going to "the money bar". Have seen some of the Youtube videos which show plenty of fish to be seen. This place offers the closest snorkeling near the Puerta Maya pier. Only $8 each way taxi ride. Will be doing that on my cruise in 7 days. Have been to Paradise Beach and Chankanaab and wanted to try something different. Also, I am bringing my own snorkeling gear which will keep the cost down. Gives me more money to try to food and beer,

Can't wait, only 7 days to go.

I also plan on going to "the money bar". Have seen some of the Youtube videos which show plenty of fish to be seen. This place offers the closest snorkeling near the Puerta Maya pier. Only $8 each way taxi ride. Will be doing that on my cruise in 7 days. Have been to Paradise Beach and Chankanaab and wanted to try something different. Also, I am bringing my own snorkeling gear which will keep the cost down. Gives me more money to try to food and beer,

Can't wait, only 7 days to go.

Please let us know:

1) Do they require a snorkel vest (we brought our own gear last time (before the renovation when it was called Dzul Ha)? Last time we didn't need snorkel vests and would like to leave them at home? If required, what is the rental cost for just the vests?

2) Last time no sunscreen was allowed, so we just used sun/surf shirts. If biodegradable sunscreen is allowed, which ones?

3) Last time we purchased beer, ice cream and churros and the proprietor was satisfied (I understand there has been a change in ownership). We probably spent about $30, but that was 7 years ago. How much did you need to spend and stay in the good graces? I want to each lunch on the East side of the island instead.

Archived