How intrusive is the service with UBD?

Rascal1

Hi, There is so much knowledge out there that I'm hoping someone can help me. I enjoy eating gorgeous food and feeling special but don't like it when waiters are too attentive and you feel they are listening and watching your every move. I'd like to try UBD but am worried that the waiters stand there and we will feel like we are being watched closely and will feel on edge all the time and end up not enjoying it. What are the experiences others have had, do the waiters leave you to enjoy the meal or stand and wait for you to eat? Thanks for any information.

Have never bothered trying it, but in our cruising experience all wait staff are too busy to stand around watching you eat. As to your conversation I doubt very much that they would have any interest. Just my thoughts.;)

We enjoyed an UBD on the Golden last month & both waiters only came when bringing each course. They must know how long most take between courses & would wait outside of our cabin until we were ready if necessary. During set up the room service manager Alice came to welcome us & to make sure that everything was okay...attentive service without being smothering.

We did it during an evening in port to minimize the possibility of having our balcony dinner inside of our cabin. It was a great experience & something we enjoyed tremendously. :D

During the UBD, after each course is served, the waiters will disappear. Then magically reappear just about the time you have finished that course and are ready for the next. They do not hang around on your balcony or in your cabin, they disappear out into the hallway. :) Enjoy!

Agree with the previous posters, the staff seems to know when you're ready for the next course - they stay out of sight and magically appear when needed - like Stewart who I know sleeps under our bed each cruise!

I did read a post here just yesterday from someone who was surprised that the waiter stayed and hovered! I think you could confirm beforehad that they do not stay. The consensus seemed to be that this waiter was new and inexperienced.

Thanks very much for all the replies, you've put my mind at rest and I look forward to trying it in May.

Glad that you're planning to try it! :)

One other thing, after they deliver dessert they leave & you call room service when you're ready to have everything removed. By the time we got to dessert we were so full that most of it went into the mini-fridge for another time.

If you're not aware, they have a Champagne Breakfast available with 24 hours notice most mornings. For the $32 price of a half bottle of champagne you get pastries, cold salmon, fruit & quiche delivered to your cabin. Unlike the UBD, all of the food is delivered at once so there's no problem with any unexperienced waiter sticking around. :rolleyes:

Archived