Best Western or Southern Caribbean port for snorkeling at or close to a hotel?

mikeerdas

What's the best Western (or Southern) Caribbean port for a week's stay? So far, I'm looking at Cozumel and Roatan and here are my criteria:

* Great snorkeling, preferably from a beach in whatever hotel I'm staying at--that's my #1 preference

* Potentially get SCUBA certified

* Where it's safe and where I won't be pestered much, or at all, by beach vendors. Hope that doesn't rule out "everywhere."

* Safe town to walk around in with good restaurants. Don't want the feeling that it's too dangerous or seedy to explore on my own (daytime--I don't do night life or partying so I'm not out at night).

* A good place to take day trips from to spectacular ruins (Tulum sounds interesting, but I'd prefer a larger site like Chichen Itza, etc).

* Good value for the money--wouldn't want to pay more than around USD $125 a night for a lodging.

* Quiet at night rather than party central. Always enjoy a good beer, but not drunken insanity or loud music.

I thought about a cruise but would rather focus my time on one port and get a lot of snorkeling in. My wife and I love snorkeling and have considered getting SCUBA certified. So that would be the main focus of the trip. Or, if we could find a place with great snorkeling close to a hotel with the option of day trips to any active volcanoes or rainforests, that would be a plus.

If it's appropriate, I would love to hear about specific hotels you'd recommend. The only one I've heard of in the Western Caribbean is Anthony's Key Resort.

I think you would love Roatan. Great snorkeling. I stayed at Infinity Bay on West Bay

Thanks LuvTravel. So did you feel it was a safe place? And were there other fun things to do in the area? Any idea how expensive / long it would take to get to ruins like Copan from Roatan?

I basically went for the snorkeling. But did do and island tour. Went to see the monkeys and birds. They do have ziplining which I so wish I would have tried. I do feel the island is safe everyone is friendly. My only problem was taking antimalarial meds to prevent contracting the disease. Most people don't take precautions but I can not afford to get sick. I had gone on a cruise in 2009 and fell in love with the island so went back for 5 days in 2010. I rented from a private owner at infinity bay who was wondeful to work with I can give you her info if you like. not sure how far to copan from Roatan sorry I can't help you there.

I basically went for the snorkeling. But did do and island tour. Went to see the monkeys and birds. They do have ziplining which I so wish I would have tried. I do feel the island is safe everyone is friendly. My only problem was taking antimalarial meds to prevent contracting the disease. Most people don't take precautions but I can not afford to get sick. I had gone on a cruise in 2009 and fell in love with the island so went back for 5 days in 2010. I rented from a private owner at infinity bay who was wondeful to work with I can give you her info if you like. not sure how far to copan from Roatan sorry I can't help you there.

Thanks LuvTravel. Didn't realize malaria was a problem there. I've heard antimalarial meds are very harsh on the body, but I agree it's best to take precautions. Wondering now if Cozumel might be a better choice. Do you, or does anyone out there, know if Malaria is a problem in Cozumel? Guess I should check with the CDC to discover what they recommend.

Archived