A day in Civiitavecchia !!! Advice Please

lewje

Has anyone gone ashore and spent a few hours in Civitavecchia instead of going to Rome..Have been to Rome a good few times and although I love it dont want to visit this time and was wondering if there was anything to do in Civitavecchia... Am on RCCL Independence of the seas next week ...

e.g

How far from port to the town

Is it walkable

Does the ship provide a shuttle to the town like they do in Livorno

Any cafe /bars close to ship

Any shops

Anything to see

Is it worth the bother or should we stay onboard !!!

Any information would help and I thank you in advance :):)

Karen

Has anyone gone ashore and spent a few hours in Civitavecchia instead of going to Rome..Have been to Rome a good few times and although I love it dont want to visit this time and was wondering if there was anything to do in Civitavecchia... Am on RCCL Independence of the seas next week ...

e.g

How far from port to the town

Is it walkable

Does the ship provide a shuttle to the town like they do in Livorno

Any cafe /bars close to ship

Any shops

Anything to see

Is it worth the bother or should we stay onboard !!!

Any information would help and I thank you in advance :):)

Karen

yes there is a free shuttle

Hi we did it in Nov10, will be again Feb11,change from Rome & Tarquinia

leaving the port exit, bus drop off point, turn left, 200 m up main street on left there is a huge out door market & indoor,

many good quality shops, leather , jewelry etc surrounding streets

enjoy

yes there is a free shuttle

Hi we did it in Nov10, will be again Feb11,change from Rome & Tarquinia

leaving the port exit, bus drop off point, turn left, 200 m up main street on left there is a huge out door market & indoor,

many good quality shops, leather , jewelry etc surrounding streets

enjoy

Thank you so much...Regards Karen :)

Having taken holidays to Rome in the past we decided to stay in port and to be honest we were not impressed at all. We went to the market and had a little walk around town and then caught the bus back. The sea front was being dug up so from the town you could only see fencing and diggers. The weather was not particularly good when we went in October so I think that may have contributed to it all looking a bit dull, but personally if we went again would stay on ship and just chill out. Others have said that they liked this town but of all our stops this was our least favourite.

Having taken holidays to Rome in the past we decided to stay in port and to be honest we were not impressed at all. We went to the market and had a little walk around town and then caught the bus back. The sea front was being dug up so from the town you could only see fencing and diggers. The weather was not particularly good when we went in October so I think that may have contributed to it all looking a bit dull, but personally if we went again would stay on ship and just chill out. Others have said that they liked this town but of all our stops this was our least favourite.

Thank you for your comment

Regards

Karen

I am another who has never been impressed with Civitavecchia. If you don't want to go to Rome (something hard for me to imagine), then you might look into visiting Tarquinia which is not far.

Might see you there in Civitavecchia, we too on the Indy 26 Jan

Look forward to it.....I just thought it would be a change as I have been to Rome several times and as we had a few ports running together didn't want to wear ourselves out lol. :D:D

Will see you at the MM I hope on Thursday.

Karen :)

and Thanks all for your tips

Not sure if this is too late, but Karen, we enjoyed Civitavecchia and I think it is worth strolling around. The port is so close, you can always spend a few hours and then head back to the ship. There are some great pharmacies where we bought some much-needed forgotten meds, wonderful cosmetics, etc., also nice shops with cool clothes and some cute places to eat. Also a bank ATM. We liked walking along the sea front. The weather was beautiful. There was an outdoor market up a side street that was colorful. We stayed at the Hotel San Giorgio overnight before boarding the ship for an Eastern Mediterrean cruise. Tarquinia is supposed to be great and not that far, which is another option.

Not sure if this is too late, but Karen, we enjoyed Civitavecchia and I think it is worth strolling around. The port is so close, you can always spend a few hours and then head back to the ship. There are some great pharmacies where we bought some much-needed forgotten meds, wonderful cosmetics, etc., also nice shops with cool clothes and some cute places to eat. Also a bank ATM. We liked walking along the sea front. The weather was beautiful. There was an outdoor market up a side street that was colorful. We stayed at the Hotel San Giorgio overnight before boarding the ship for an Eastern Mediterrean cruise. Tarquinia is supposed to be great and not that far, which is another option.

Thank you, we are still home but leaving for our cruise in the morning...many thanks :)

Archived