Formal Night

hamrag

We are cruising on Luminosa from Dubai, and the following week same cruise with RCI. Can anyone who has sailed Costa previously advise please what % of men wear tuxedo etc. on formal nights. Also for the ladies what % ballgown or equivalent. Thanks.

I agree - very low number had the true formal dress (dinner suit). Most were with suits and a few were far less casual. Bit disappointing but at least its worth while knowing before you go and then you can make your own mind up.

There is no problem wearing a dinner suit - I did and it was nice to make the effort.

On the Costa cruise I went on the majority of men wore dark suits. There were a few tuxes. 90% of the women had on a cocktail style dress. >9 % had on full length gowns. <1% (me-I swear I was the only one not in a fancy outfit) wore dress pants and a sweater because I wasn't about to add a garment bag to the 2 suitcases, 1 duffell and 2 carry-ons the three of us were dragging all over Italy the week after the cruise. :)

We are travelling on Delizioza, Dubai-Savona in April and wondering what dress is acceptable for the 'formal' nights, specifically for men. We have an extended trip and want to keep baggage to minimum. Given the climate at the time he would prefer not to bring jacket. Would a long sleeve shirt and tie be OK?

Don't want to be underdressed though. Appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance . .

We are travelling on Delizioza, Dubai-Savona in April and wondering what dress is acceptable for the 'formal' nights, specifically for men. We have an extended trip and want to keep baggage to minimum. Given the climate at the time he would prefer not to bring jacket. Would a long sleeve shirt and tie be OK?

Don't want to be underdressed though. Appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance . .

strictly speaking, you would be very underdressed. formal is formal no matter what the cruiselines say.

that being said, in reality you will be fine.

strictly speaking, you would be very underdressed. formal is formal no matter what the cruiselines say.

that being said, in reality you will be fine.

Costa call their formal nights "Gala Nights" not "formal nights"

So formal dinner suits and evening gowns for ladies are rare.

To give you a visual idea - imagine an Italian wedding if you can - ( if you cant think Sopranos LOL ) - the attire you might see at that would be what you will see on "Gala Night"

The younger guys dont always wear suits they might just wear a dark dressy shirt and trousers - and the younger females usually wear short black cocktail type dresses - my wife would probably tell me they are not " cocktail dresses " but thats what I would call them.

Realistaically on Costa ANYTHING WILL WORK even full blown glitzy formal if thats what you like - nobody would give you a second glance.

Enjoy it - it is different!

We were on the Deliziosa in December Savona to Dubai.

The majority of the passengers wore evening dress on the GALA nights.

My husband had refused to take a jacket as we had read on these forums that a smart shirt and tie would suffice :mad:WRONG. He was definitely underdressed.

Dont get me wrong no one will tap you on the shoulder and ask what do you think you are doing but I went with plenty of dressy dresses. I don't ever want to be the ODD ONE OUT .

If you can stand looking different then do it. If it does not bother you THEN DO IT.:eek:

I've been on lots of Costa cruises but never one that had the majority in formal dress on the gala nights. Winter cruises most men wear dark suits but the summer cruises tend to be less elegant. I repeat, I've not seen more than 5% in tuxedos and long gowns. This is even more true when the passengers have to travel by air to arrive at the departure port. Few can afford the excess weight and space in their luggage to accommodate clothes and shoes for just two or three evenings. End result: If you really enjoy dressing super elegant, do it. Otherwise, dress sharp and you'll always fit in.

Archived