Our day in Curacao (1/18/2011)

Busybears

Before our trip, I wrote to info@curacao.com and asked for self-guided walking tour info. I received a big package of stuff, and we took with us the "Historic Willemstad Architectural Walking Guide" and a map that shows all the beaches and pictures of all the fish that you can find when you go diving and snorkeling.

We arrived in Curacao on Holland America Westerdam. The ship docked at 8 on Otrobanda side, and we got off the ship at 9. We walked across the floating bridge to Punda, and turned left to check out the floating market along the water. We then followed the Walking Guide and spent the next 2 hours finding all the buildings in the guide on Punda side. It was really fun and interesting as the guide gave you the picture of the building so you know what you are looking for, and it also provides the history and significance of each building, so we learned a lot during the walk.

By now, it's almost noon. We then found the old market (marshe) which is further up from the floating market and had local food there. The wait staff didn't speak much English, so she when offered us a sampler, we gladed agreed. We ended up tried the rice, noodles, various stews, fried plantains, beans, fried fish, and pumpkin pancakes. All that plus drinks (bottle of Pepsi for each person) for $50 for 4 of us. The food was excellent! By the time we left, the place was filled with local people eating lunch there.

After that, we thought we'd try to go to Porto Marie since we heard the snorkeling was excellent. We walked over the bridge back to Otrobanda side since the beach is towards west, and the taxi drivers asked for $55. I told them I know it should be $40, and they got upset. Then some taxi drivers came around and offered us $40, but we were already unhappy with their attitude, so we decided to go to a closer beach instead. One driver offered to take us to Cabana Beach for $35. We declined. We walked over back to Punda side and the taxi driver offered $4/pp to Cabana/Mambo Beach. So, you take a taxi on Punda side if you want to go to beaches towards the east or you'll pay a lot more.

Mambo/Cabana beach was very busy, but very nice. We got there at 1, and had to walk towards the left a bit before we found some chairs. My fiance went snorkeling along the reef and saw 15+ kind of fish in the water. The swimming was nice - sand was smooth and water was calm and clean. The same taxi driver came back and picked us up at 3 p.m.

We went back downtown and shopped until 4:15 p.m. Our ship's "all aboard" time was 4:30 p.m., and we thought it'd be a breeze to just run across the floating bridge and we'd be right on time. Well, when we got to the bridge, the bridge was already floated open!!! No bridge!!! We had to wait and take the free ferry instead. Luckily we still made it :D.

We had a wonderful day in Curacao. Hope our experience offers you some ideas when you plan for your day in Curacao!

Great review. Too bad about the taxis. We found that if you meet a cab driver right off the ship in Curacao, you can bargain for a trip or tour- however, we much prefer a ship'a excursion, as the taxis tend to be expensive.

We did one taxi tour in 2005 for 3 of us for $40 and in 2008 for 4 of us for $40. They were both very nice drivers, but $40 seemed to be the lowest price available for a 2 hour trip.

We just used the map/brochure that we received from mail through the email which was posted in my original review, and it was a breeze doing it as "self-guided". We only had time to find all the buildings on the Punda side. When we go back, and hopefully we will one day, we'll try to find all on Otrobanda side ;).

Hey Busybears,

Great review :)

I e-mailed curacao.com and all they did was e-mailed me a copy of the map!They never said anything about mailing!!! I explained that we would be on the Island in March.

Thanks for all the info though :)

Hmmm.... You sent to this email info@curacao.com? I wrote in my email that we wanted information on self-guide tour, and we got this nicely printed 40-page or so colored "architectural guide" brochure. :confused: Maybe you can write to them again and asked specifically for that brochure? I would highly recommended having it handy if you are into history and want to learn something about Curacao.

Hey Busybears,

I e-mailed curacao.com and all they did was e-mailed me a copy of the map!They never said anything about mailing!!! I explained that we would be on the Island in March.

Hmmm.... You sent to this email info@curacao.com? I wrote in my email that we wanted information on self-guide tour, and we got this nicely printed 40-page or so colored "architectural guide" brochure. :confused: Maybe you can write to them again and asked specifically for that brochure? I would highly recommended having it handy if you are into history and want to learn something about Curacao.

I e-mailed my request on the 24th, they responded on the 25th saying they sent us the package and it arrived today. The Architectural Walking Guide is great. So try again and ask them to mail it to you. I also got another wonderful map and magazine.

You are very welcome!! Glad to be able to contribute to this forum. Throughout the years, we've used the insight we gained from this forum many times to enhance our experience in many ports. I'm glad to assist :cool:. Hope you all will enjoy your time there regardless what you decide to do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hey Busybears,

We filled out a form on the review site and recieved our packet complete with a map yesterday! it has so much information in it!

• 5 months later...

This is one long beach with different segments. First there is Cabana Beach, you keep walking and it is suddenly called Mambo Beach, you keep walking and the name becomes Seaquarium beach:D.

By taxi it will take about 10/15 minutes to get there depending on traffic. There are always taxis standing there ready to take you back to the ship. Unfortunately I don't know the taxi rates.

Archived