Day trip to Mostar or Montenegro

Yes we did both last year. We stayed in Dubrovnik for several days. We rented a car from Sixt (Hilton location just outside the main gate). We had 2 seperate 1 day rentals. The rental was very reasonable. It was of course a standard gearshift. We were staying inside the gate and had no reason to pay for parking.

We really enjoyed the trip to Kotor (Montenegro). Mostar is a city, Montenegro is a small country. We stopped along the way and went out to the little island that has church on it. On the way back we stopped at the beach area south of Dubrovnik for an hour or so. Kotor itself is very quaint and worth the drive. Mostar was just OK. The drive, as I remember, was not very scenic. If I were to pick from the two, Kotor would win hands down. The drive to Mostar seemed a lot longer than the drive to Kotor. We had no issues with the car or with driving. Crossing the borders was no issue-I cannot even remember if the customs officials even looked at our passports. You can see lots of war damage in Mostar and surroundings.

renting a car is definitely the most economical way. in 6 to 7 hours you can leisurely drive to kotor, explore the town and have lunch there and drive back. in the case there would be congestion on the main cro-mnegro border point (Debeli brijeg) on the way back, just turn around and go to other small border at Prevlaka which would save you an hour or so.

Archived