Kona transportation to airport for rental car

phillygirl63

Has anyone rented a car in Kona? We are on POA in April. I know that we have to take tenders from the ship, but Thrifty does not have a shuttle service to pick up the rental car at the airport. I need advice on the best way to do this and how much time to allow.

Has anyone rented a car in Kona? We are on POA in April. I know that we have to take tenders from the ship, but Thrifty does not have a shuttle service to pick up the rental car at the airport. I need advice on the best way to do this and how much time to allow.

The reason Thrifty doesn't have a shuttle is because they (and Dollar) have an office at the King Kam Hotel, which is right at the end of the tender pier.

The airport is a pretty fair hop from the tender pier. It's a good 20 to 30 minute drive, which is why most rental car companies at the airport do not offer shuttles from the pier. There is an Enterprise in Kona, as well as the Thrifty and Dollar at the King Kam Hotel across the street from the tender pier.

Believe me when I say the convenience of picking up and dropping off your rental just steps from the pier is worth every extra penny you paid. You don't have to spend 50+ minutes roundtrip on the road just renting and returning, and you don't have to pay $50+ for a taxi to take you to/from the airport for rental car pickup/return.

beachchick

I tried to book my car on Kona through Thrifty/Dollar at the hotel mentioned. When I'm on Dollar's web site, they say the office isn't open the times I've selected for pick up and drop off. I thought I read somewhere else they were closed on Wed. at the hotel. Phillygirl63- did they say anything about being closed on Wed.?

I was going to try Enterprise instead. However, that looks like it will be a short taxi ride instead of just walking to the King Kam Hotel.

They said nothing about that location being closed on Wednesdays when I called and changed by reservation, but I will call back and double check. Maybe even contact the hotel directly. It only cost me $25 more for the change. I hope I am not getting the runaround.

I tried to book my car on Kona through Thrifty/Dollar at the hotel mentioned. When I'm on Dollar's web site, they say the office isn't open the times I've selected for pick up and drop off. I thought I read somewhere else they were closed on Wed. at the hotel. Phillygirl63- did they say anything about being closed on Wed.?

I was going to try Enterprise instead. However, that looks like it will be a short taxi ride instead of just walking to the King Kam Hotel.

We had a rental car booked with Enterprise. They ask you to call them when you are on the tender and they will send a shuttle to meet you at the pier.

Have cancelled the car rental because we decided to do a tour instead, but I am sure you will find the pickup option is still ok.

The King Kam location closes at noon so if you put a drop off time later than noon, then that's why it says it isn't open. I put pick up at 8 am and drop off 8 am the next day. They have a place for you to dropoff the car while it is closed and you can obviously drop it off early.

Debra - I rented my car there, but I had to put in the following morning for drop-off. Others have said you can just leave your key with the hotel clerk, so that is what we plan to do.

Archived