NCL Spirit - Belize - Rotan - Costa Maya

Will be onboard the Spirit to these destinations in February. Assume we have a budget for two excursions out of the three days (have already figured out Cozumel). If you were us, what would (or did) you decide to do?

Would you do it again? Was it worth it?

We're both younger and active. Wife is a certified scuba diver. I am not but have enjoyed it before.

I just got off the ship on the 30th. Don't count on NCL for any of your diving excursions. They ended up canceling 3 diving excursions on us, one on the pier. We had to scramble to get a dive at all. This isn't the 1st time this has happened to us on NCL and at this point we have decided to just plan our own dives from now on, though I much rather not have to plan at all..... Other than that, we had a great cruise. Plan and your wife will have fun diving!

Jingle

ok Sheila,

You are just back, can you answer one question for me, how much was dinner in Shugus or do you know?

Thanks a bunch,

Nita

Nita,

We ate in Shogun to have Sushi one night and we were charged $15 per person. We were a group of 6 and three of us ordered off the Sushi menu and three of us ordered off the Asian menu. The apps on the Asian menu were very good, we all enjoyed the meal there. The Green Tea ice cream was very yummy!!

If you are interested in something different go to Sante Wellness Spa in Roatan. It is mroe than a spa. It is a one day destination. You will go by taxi, and then they send another water taxi from the spa to pick you up. The spa is actually a private home--absolutely beautiful. If you book treatments--which are VERY reasonable--then you can also spend the day here. There is a cooling pool, a hot tub by the water, a palapa for yoga and meditation or to book a yoga class if you wish. Or you can jsut sit on their decks and enjoy the beautiful day as you and your friends or partner get various spa treatments through the day. They serve a fresh simple lunch of grilled fish. They also have a boat and do take people out snorkeling, but I cannot speak to this.

It is an experience of a lifetime--very very different--and a most interesting contrast to the cruise experience. Go to their web site (jsut goodle Sante Wellness Spa Roatan). The spa treatments are very creative and different--in addition to your typical fare. They use fresh local ingredients to their treatments. She is also trained in some very different kinds of healing techniques. My sister got a treatment for headaches and my husband for his back--both were seriously impressed. This is not just the overprices kind of feel good spa stuff. She really is into natural healing and if you are having specific physical issues it is a GREAT place to go. The prices would be about half what the spa prices are on the ship. She will do the treatments outside or in their beautiful treatment rooms. You are right in the jungle, and they also have beautiful birds. Honestly it is like a place you dream about. If you are with someone who has no interest in the spa, they can still pay a fee to use the ground for the day and then be by the pool, use the hot tub, etc.

Also, go to the port boards--that is where you find out the details of all these places. You can do a search there for Sante Wellness Spa and get pictures and all kinds of reviews.

Got Costa Maya, I would not consider anywhere except Maya Chan Beach. It is an all inclusive, off the beaten path, run by a husband and wife, beautiful and amazing food, grand palapas that they position to accomadate your party specifically, all the food and drink and activities for a set price, and the privacy, beauty, and downright niceness of the guys who runs it--it is a cut WAY ABOVE all the regular hotel beaches and such. . .this couple were cruisers who set out to develop a haven for day cruise folks and they have succeeded mightily. Google it or again, there are hundreds of reviews of this on the port board.

The port board has extensive information! But for my--Sante Wellness is incredible. It was an experience I continue to dream about.

you are not the only one that raves about Sante Wellness Spa, I have heard that over and over. For us, because we are such a large group and such a huge age span (3 to 74) we are doing Victor Bodden in Roatan. We are looking forward to Maya Chan for part of our group, the rest are doing the ruins.

Nita

Nita,

We ate in Shogun to have Sushi one night and we were charged $15 per person. We were a group of 6 and three of us ordered off the Sushi menu and three of us ordered off the Asian menu. The apps on the Asian menu were very good, we all enjoyed the meal there. The Green Tea ice cream was very yummy!!

Thanks so much, that is just what I needed and wanted to hear. I am springing for all 11 of us (maybe only 10 if we can get our granddughter to take her little one to child care) so I wanted to know what I was looking at. Thanks for the advise on the ice cream.

Nita

I just got off the ship on the 30th. Don't count on NCL for any of your diving excursions. They ended up canceling 3 diving excursions on us, one on the pier. We had to scramble to get a dive at all. This isn't the 1st time this has happened to us on NCL and at this point we have decided to just plan our own dives from now on, though I much rather not have to plan at all..... Other than that, we had a great cruise. Plan and your wife will have fun diving!

Jingle

Just curious. Why did NCL cancel all of the dives? Lack of interest, not enough people signed up? We sail on the 13th and my wife has a dive booked in Belize.

Got Costa Maya, I would not consider anywhere except Maya Chan Beach. It is an all inclusive, off the beaten path, run by a husband and wife, beautiful and amazing food, grand palapas that they position to accomadate your party specifically, all the food and drink and activities for a set price, and the privacy, beauty, and downright niceness of the guys who runs it--it is a cut WAY ABOVE all the regular hotel beaches and such. . .this couple were cruisers who set out to develop a haven for day cruise folks and they have succeeded mightily. Google it or again, there are hundreds of reviews of this on the port board.

I agree with Maya Chan Beach. It's a great place to relax and enjoy good company. We are going next January again, and will be using Victor Bodden in Roatan for ziplining and touring the island. We've done the Lamanii trip in Belize and it was a great experience, although a very long day! Not sure what we'll be doing this next time around. Port of Call boards and loads of information and good/bad comments about each of these ports. Most important, HAVE FUN!!! :D

Just curious. Why did NCL cancel all of the dives? Lack of interest, not enough people signed up? We sail on the 13th and my wife has a dive booked in Belize.

Lack of signed up patrons, though they wouldn't tell me how many were required for the Belize and Roatan dives. I was on the pier in Cozumel when they canceled that dive due to the weather. It was blowing, the port was closed to all small boats. I ended up hooking up with a group from a Holland America ship that afternoon after talking to the excursion provider on the pier that later that morning. The surprising thing was Holland American had one person in the group and that lady wasn't canceled by the ship for "lack of interest". Good luck with your dives. I've now had more canceled by NCL than provided. If you are on one of the smaller ships, I'd have a back up plan in place. Belize isn't a place that is easy to find a dive shop near port, though the diving is really nice.

Every thing else on the cruise was great. Enjoy!

Lack of signed up patrons, though they wouldn't tell me how many were required for the Belize and Roatan dives. I was on the pier in Cozumel when they canceled that dive due to the weather. It was blowing, the port was closed to all small boats. I ended up hooking up with a group from a Holland America ship that afternoon after talking to the excursion provider on the pier that later that morning. The surprising thing was Holland American had one person in the group and that lady wasn't canceled by the ship for "lack of interest". Good luck with your dives. I've now had more canceled by NCL than provided. If you are on one of the smaller ships, I'd have a back up plan in place. Belize isn't a place that is easy to find a dive shop near port, though the diving is really nice.

Every thing else on the cruise was great. Enjoy!

Thanks again for the info. She only has one ship dive booked. (Belize) The rest are through dive shops.

Will be onboard the Spirit to these destinations in February. Assume we have a budget for two excursions out of the three days (have already figured out Cozumel). If you were us, what would (or did) you decide to do?

Would you do it again? Was it worth it?

We're both younger and active. Wife is a certified scuba diver. I am not but have enjoyed it before.

Hello Ottawa! Has it stopped snowing yet? We are on the Spirit on the 20th and in Roatan we are going to Tabyana Beach resort. We tried to book a snorkel trip in Belize but it was booked up, so we're just going to go ashore and check out the local crafts and then get back on the ship and relax by the pool.:)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived